All in one or separates?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
I agree - to a point I can understand his ire as I didn't buy the unit from him but I wasn't asking for free installation - literally just 5 minutes 'brain picking' and no more. That was obviously quite an affront to his ego but never mind - he won't be getting more business from me especially as my next purchase will be a Majik 6100 so I can go Aktiv.

Anyway the sound is 'fine' and can't be criticised in terms other than personal preference - just a tad bass ight that's all. I suspected that I would end up looking at Linn cabling which sticks in my throat a bit as I am not a cabling disciple to be honest, as long as you don't use bell wire.

Thanks for the link - will take a look.

The thing with cabling, is to keep an open mind, and not believe what anyone tells you, until it can be checked out for yourself.

The other cable brands that I've heard sounding well with Linn, are Atlas and Audioquest. In the past, I have sat in my local Linn dealer while he put in a selection of Audioquest cables (including mains leads) at various prices. At one point, I preferred the presentation of the cheaper set up with expensive cables, than the expensive set up with cheap cables.

I would suggest, if possible, finding a Linn dealer with whom you can work, and spending an hour or two experimenting.....it can be quite enlightening.

FWIW. My dealer is not at all pushy about cabling and indeed advises caution. It's his view that results are equipment, site and person dependant....and I would agree.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The thing with cabling, is to keep an open mind, and not believe what anyone tells you, until it can be checked out for yourself.

The other cable brands that I've heard sounding well with Linn, are Atlas and Audioquest. In the past, I have sat in my local Linn dealer while he put in a selection of Audioquest cables (including mains leads) at various prices. At one point, I preferred the presentation of the cheaper set up with expensive cables, than the expensive set up with cheap cables.

I would suggest, if possible, finding a Linn dealer with whom you can work, and spending an hour or two experimenting.....it can be quite enlightening.

FWIW. My dealer is not at all pushy about cabling and indeed advises caution. It's his view that results are equipment, site and person dependant....and I would agree.

I agree and, although this is just my personal opinion, there's a lot of BS talked about it. I am sure that 'some' cables make a massive difference but it's (as you say) entirely subjective. The irony is that he was very quick to bag my cables on the basis of me telling him what they were rather than having heard them - I still think that the QED is a pretty decent bit of wire; if not the absolute best.

I've moved on from it to be honest but at the time was quite annoyed that he was willing to be so dismissive about offering me a quick view on the basis that I didn't buy from him. He's the exception as I have generally found Linn dealers to be incredibly helpful in the main. There's always one though.

I may give the K20 a bash as i seems quite reasonably priced. Are the individual cables thin enough to get plugs on to them or do you connect bare wires to the terminals?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
I may give the K20 a bash as i seems quite reasonably priced. Are the individual cables thin enough to get plugs on to them or do you connect bare wires to the terminals?

The cable works either way......I prefer to have it with plugs for convenience, and it also helps with corrosion.

If your current cables are silver coated (which I believe they are), it (imo) can lead to an artificial brightness which isn't there with all copper ones.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Speaker cables sorted thanks but a further question.

Still owning, and being reluctant to part with, many CD's what reasonably priced CD player could I use with the Majik DSM?

:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
Speaker cables sorted thanks but a further question.

Still owning, and being reluctant to part with, many CD's what reasonably priced CD player could I use with the Majik DSM?

:)

Did you go with the the K20, and if so how are you finding it?

Take your CDs out once a week and stroke them, before putting them away....that should help with the weaning process. ;)

IMO. You will need to spend silly money on a CDP to equal the Majik, so what's the point....get an Akurate!! >)

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
K20 ordered and should be here this week so thanks for the heads up with that. Was less expensive than I thought.

In terms of the CDP I know what you mean but I'm really just looking for something I can literally use when I want to as the CD's I have left are the ones I am reluctant to lose. I realise that it probably won't do the Majik justice and can live with that as long as I have the functionality without spending a fortune.

Any recommendations? Someone suggested the Project CD Box S?

And I am NOT buying an Akurate.

Yet.
smiley-cool.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
K20 ordered and should be here this week so thanks for the heads up with that. Was less expensive than I thought.

In terms of the CDP I know what you mean but I'm really just looking for something I can literally use when I want to as the CD's I have left are the ones I am reluctant to lose. I realise that it probably won't do the Majik justice and can live with that as long as I have the functionality without spending a fortune.

Any recommendations? Someone suggested the Project CD Box S?

And I am NOT buying an Akurate.

Yet.
smiley-cool.gif

Don't thank me for the heads up until you hear it!

Regarding a CDP, I am trying to understand why you would "lose" the CDs that you've left....in fact, not playing the physical CD limits the possibility of damage to it....which is sensible, as it is your ultimate back-up when all else fails.

I'm also struggling to understand why you would want to spend money on a devise that will make your music sound noticeably inferior, and isn't as handy to use.

Please don't take this as any form of criticism, but I genuinely believe that you are unlikely to use it; and I can think of better ways to spend your money. >)

I have been exactly where you are at the moment (clinging onto the past).....I have a Linn Karik/Numerik, which was a highend CDP from the early 90s, and it lies gathering dust. I also have an Arcam DV79, which can probably play CDs to a similar standard to what you are looking for, and I find it makes my music dull and uninteresting.

Just in case I've got the wrong end of the stick....this CDP is to be connected to the DSM and not destined for another system?

I'm usually the one who encourages people to push their budget and go for better kit, but in this case I think you are taking a backwards step.

Apologies for being obtuse....if you really insist, what is your max budget?

Cno

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Don't thank me for the heads up until you hear it! Regarding a CDP, I am trying to understand why you would "lose" the CDs that you've left....in fact, not playing the physical CD limits the possibility of damage to it....which is sensible, as it is your ultimate back-up when all else fails. I'm also struggling to understand why you would want to spend money on a devise that will make your music sound noticeably inferior, and isn't as handy to use. Please don't take this as any form of criticism, but I genuinely believe that you are unlikely to use it; and I can think of better ways to spend your money. >) I have been exactly where you are at the moment (clinging onto the past).....I have a Linn Karik/Numerik, which was a highend CDP from the early 90s, and it lies gathering dust. I also have an Arcam DV79, which can probably play CDs to a similar standard to what you are looking for, and I find it makes my music dull and uninteresting. Just in case I've got the wrong end of the stick....this CDP is to be connected to the DSM and not destined for another system? I'm usually the one who encourages people to push their budget and go for better kit, but in this case I think you are taking a backwards step. Apologies for being obtuse....if you really insist, what is your max budget? Cno

I guess that's where I am at really and maybe you are right in terms of clinging to the past. However, like many others it's just a bit difficult to 'let go' of the last few. I had over 700 CD's and am down to the last 100 or so; those which I am really struggling to let go of. I am not in a hurry to spend more money on something that doesn't enhance the experience but this is not about that - it's just about having the ability to step back when I want to and no more.

CD's won't be my media of choice nor will they be used regularly for the reasons you alluded to above. But I still want the ability to play the ones I have 'as CD's' when I want to. For people to whom this may sound crazy then consider it crazy - it makes sense to me.

I'll think about it some more before doing anything. No hurry - I'm enjoying the Majik too much to rush this step, if at all.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
I'll think about it some more before doing anything. No hurry - I'm enjoying the Majik too much to rush this step, if at all.

I think that's fair comment.......all I'm really trying to do, is to make you stop and think for a moment - which is coming from the perspective of an "old school" audiophile.

Before you jump, see if you can borrow a CDP from a friend or a dealer (possibly a budget Marantz or Nad), and see how it sounds.

Let me know (either way) how you get on with the K20

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts