QED SILVER ANNIVERSARY XT SPEAKER CABLE TERMINATION

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I am shortly going to be wiring up this cable to five nice new shiny B&W M1 speakers.

After a trial fit, I have found that if I leave the centre hollow Teflon core of the cable in place the grub screw that holds the cable in place tends to damage (cut through) some of the wire strands; more so than if I cut the core out and twist the strands together on their own.

The damage is caused by the end of the grub screw being hollowed out which makes it work a bit like a hole punch. I don't think I am overly tightening the screws.

So finally here comes the question; does it matter if the centre core is removed? Personally I cannot see it making any difference; but I thought I would check with this most knowledgeable group of enthusiasts.

A

Anonymous

when i wired the cables up to my sony speakers i had to trim down the wire to half, and cut down the core to get it to fit into the speaker terminal, i was told by a dj that it wouldnt make any difference.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Joe10155:
I am shortly going to be wiring up this cable to five nice new shiny B&W M1 speakers.

After a trial fit, I have found that if I leave the centre hollow Teflon core of the cable in place the grub screw that holds the cable in place tends to damage (cut through) some of the wire strands; more so than if I cut the core out and twist the strands together on their own.

The damage is caused by the end of the grub screw being hollowed out which makes it work a bit like a hole punch. I don't think I am overly tightening the screws.

So finally here comes the question; does it matter if the centre core is removed? Personally I cannot see it making any difference; but I thought I would check with this most knowledgeable group of enthusiasts.

Doesn't matter a jot.

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your confirmation that it's an insignificant issue. I will be hooking up the speakers sometime over the next week.

I now have to add some not so insignificant ventilation to my old TV/AV cabinet before installing another of my new goodies (Onkyo TX-SR876).

Thanks again.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Joe10155:
Thanks for your confirmation that it's an insignificant issue. I will be hooking up the speakers sometime over the next week.

I now have to add some not so insignificant ventilation to my old TV/AV cabinet before installing another of my new goodies (Onkyo TX-SR876).

Thanks again.

Onkyo 87 series receiver & B&W M1s.......I like a man with taste! (And any accusations of bias due to my own stuff is wholely unfounded!)

;-)

A

Anonymous

Most of the heat I find is generated from the 875/6 out of the top back and sides vents.
If you can give free space to the last 3" of the Amp by cutting out the cabinet back and shelf above it this will make a huge difference in the Amp not overheating.

Being a 'Class A' amp they do generate heat and run warm, or very hot if they don't have good ventilation!

Toast anyone?

A

Anonymous

As Big Chris has previously stated it is fine to remove the core. On some of QED's higher X-Tube models you need to remove the core just to get the cable into an Airloc banana!

A

Anonymous

I also have the QED Silver Anniversary XT and the B&W MT-30. Do I need anything to connect the cables to the PV-1 or the AV Receiver i.e., do I merely just strip the cable a little and then just connect to the AV Receiver and the Amp or do I need some speacial type of banana plugs to do that? Do I just do the same when connecting to the M1 speakers? Also, do the speaker cables need to be the same length for th 2 front and centre speakers?

Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts