PS3 true hd output

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i am using my SONYps3 to output via qed 1080p rated hdmi cable to sony strd 820 reciever when i set bluray disc to output dolby true hd i get the sound o k but the sony reciever doesnt say on the display that it is recieving true hd,the tv says its recieving 1080p and true h.d am and ps3 says its outputting true hd am i missing something. all firmware updates are up to date and settings seem correct in the ps3the sony shop cant answer me either

any ideas

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The PS3 outputs these soundtracks as Linear PCM, having converted them onboard, hence the fact it doesn't show on the amp display. The TV is showing which soundtrack is being played.

You need to make sure you have the PS3 set up to output LPCM from all sound formats, otherwise you may only be getting a cut-down version of the sound, roughly equivalent to standard-definition sound, going into your amp.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
It would only show True HD on the amp if the sound was being decoded by the amplifier (i.e. bitstream). The PS3 can't send the bitstream signal so it does the decoding for you and then sends the sound signal to the amp (PCM). Your amp will never display True HD with a PS3, only Multichannel or something along those lines.

A

Anonymous

If you buy yourself a dedicated blu ray player that would sort the problem.no doubt someobody can recommend one for you,seems a lot of expense though just to see the nice lights !!

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

hi, i have the amstrad sky hd box which has optical and digital coax outputs. which one would be the better to use?

cheers

A

Anonymous

so a good hdmi such as qed performance and then digital coax,how would the ixos 608 fit in with the sky hd box?

A

Anonymous

I have a closely related problem with the Dolby True HD output from BlueRay. In this instance I am not using a PS3, but one of these: http://whathifi.com/Review/Sony-BDP-S350/

Andrew, you have given good answers so far. Please can you try and help me too?

Call me old school, but I have my BR player hooked up to a good old fashioned Stereo HiFi: Mission Cyrus 1 amp, and some speakers you will never have heard of. That means I am using the analogue stereo outputs, but I'd take good HiFi stereo over mediocre surround any day of the week.

I appreciate that the BlueRay player has to 'down mix' the 8 channel True HD sound into Stereo and that will result in some loss of quality. What is bothering me is that it is also downgrading the sample rate from 196Khz to 48Khz. I feel that I am needlessly losing out on some of the finer detail and very deep bass. Certainly when I use vinyl there is a noticeable improvement over the range on regular 44.1Khz CDs.

Do you know if this is just Sony cutting corners on the DACs in my player, or if all BlueRay players do this?

If so, do you know any way around this to get the 196Khz digital in the HDMI converted directly to analogue for my Cyrus?

Sorry, I know that is a bit obscure but Mr Google couldn't help me and I think other people might be in the same boat as me.

Thanks! :)

A

Anonymous

petesneds:

hi, i have the amstrad sky hd box which has optical and digital coax outputs. which one would be the better to use?

cheers

I thought you could only get 5.1 from the Sky HD box with Optical

daveh75

hilly10:petesneds:

cheers

I thought you could only get 5.1 from the Sky HD box with Optical
Or co-axial! Just not via HDMI with Sky

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
To clarify, all Sky+HD boxes have an HDMI output which delivers audio, but only in stereo.

There are different versions of the box, which look all but identical but have either an optical digital audio output, or both optical and electrical/coaxial digital audio output.

To get surround sound from the Sky box, using a suitable surround sound amplifier/processor/receiver and only from those broadcast with a Dolby Digital multichannel soundtrack (ie far from all programmes), you need a digital audio connection to your amp/processor/receiver in addition to the HDMI connection to either the receiver or direct to the TV.

This additional digital audio connection can be either optical or electrical/coaxial, should your Sky+HD box offer you a choice.

emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts