NOT GETTING DOLBY TRUE HD LITE ON ONKYO HT-R590 RECEIVER.

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Would appreciate if someone can help.

I am using a sony bdp s370 player connected via hdmi cable to onkyp ht-r590 receiver. When i play a bluray dvd with dolby true hd i just get PCM displayed on my receiver.When i check the display it says doly digital 5.1 surround.

My audio settings :-

1. audio hdmi - auto

2.dsd output - off

3.bd audio mix - off

4.dolby digital - dolby digital

5. dts - dts

6.neo 6 - cinema

7.audio drc - auto

8.down mix - surround.

Please help.If possible please also let me know on what settings i should have on the onkyo receiver.

Rgds,

SAMEER.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I just play with stuff,more often I stumble on the correct settings,but sometimes I need advice too.

From what I gather you should not be using neo 6 which is a surround type decoder,you need to set your avr to a straight setting to except the HD.hope this helps.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Try this, these are the settings on my Sony S380 & i get HD sound. Regards..

1. audio hdmi - auto

2.dsd output - off

3.bd audio mix - ON

5. dts - dts

6.neo 6 - cinema

7.audio drc - auto

8.down mix - Stereo

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
AVR receiver must not be on dolby. Straight or pure or whatever / min 0rocessinf.

audio/auto, dsd/on if u use sacd discs, bd mix/off, dd&dts/downmix PCM, neo6/off, downmix/off.

Took me a while to get these right

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, shouldn't the player be set to bitstream???? That way, the source is doing the decoding? Feel free to educate me if this incorrect :)

atkins4725 said:
Hi, shouldn't the player be set to bitstream???? That way, the source is doing the decoding? Feel free to educate me if this incorrect :)

You're correct. If your blu ray player decodes audio, there's no way your AVR will know if it's DTS HD etc. although you will still get HD sound.

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
hi all,

i tried all the above diffrent settings but am afraid still not getting the dolby true hd lite on the receiver.I also just tried a blueray with DTS HD MASTER AUDIO this also dosent seem to get the dts hd lite ON.When i display on the Receiver i am getting PCM SIGNAL saying 7.1 /or 5.1 multichannel. And yes my HDMI setting on receiver is DIRECT.

Oh God could some one come to my assistance am really now getting frustrated.

Thx in Ad,

SAMEER.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
sameersuleman said:
hi all,

i tried all the above diffrent settings but am afraid still not getting the dolby true hd lite on the receiver.I also just tried a blueray with DTS HD MASTER AUDIO this also dosent seem to get the dts hd lite ON.When i display on the Receiver i am getting PCM SIGNAL saying 7.1 /or 5.1 multichannel. And yes my HDMI setting on receiver is DIRECT.

Might as well swear....

Thx in Ad,

SAMEER.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
(I remember this problem on my Sony AV)

Make sure that your receiver has not got a setting for hdmi set as tv+receiver. It needs to be set to just receiver.

Otherwise the receiver will set to the lowest common denominator between the tv and receiver - ie PCM

jeff1967

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi

My audio settings on the Sony S370 are:-

1. audio hdmi - auto

2.dsd output - off

3.bd audio mix - off

5. dts - dts

6.neo 6 - off

7.audio drc - wide

8.down mix - surround.

my sony amp is set to hdmi input and dolby true hd and dts hd light up.

regards,

jeff.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Mine :

AVR receiver must not be on dolby. Straight or pure or whatever / min 0rocessinf.

audio/auto, dsd/on if u use sacd discs, bd mix/off, dd&dts/downmix PCM, neo6/off, downmix/off.

Took me a while to get these right

Different to jeff ! Not sure which is right but experiment and let us (both) know !

hope one of us can help

Cheers

ps flicking thru manual and p29 /30 not sure the amp actually displays truehd on front panel?????

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
jeff,

just tried your settings....No didnt work,i am still getting only pcm signal.The difference btw your setup and mine is the avr,mine is onkyo HT-R590. I also upgraded the blueray firmware.

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Robin,

Just tried your settings also. No Bro..still not working for me. About the hd lite you asked, yes the fron panel had the lites and are supposed to lite up as soon as the signal is picked.

I didnt understand when you said reciever should not be on dolby-where are these settings? also my sony player dosent have an off option in down mix...we only have stereo and surround.

jeff1967

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sameer,

your settings are ok for hd audio bitstream out from the bluray player. The important one is that bd audio mix is set to off. If set to on the main audio and the interactive audio are mixed and output only as pcm. So as others have said the problem lies with your amp settings.

hope you sort things out soon,

Jeff.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Sameer,

I have an Onkyo 905 and if my Blueray player is set to output bitstream the Onkyo will display Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master. If the Blueray is set to PCM the Onkyo indicates PCM and Onkyo uses the PCM to give you the HD audio. Try both and see which you prefer.

Best Wishes

Chris

sameersuleman said:
hi all,

Thx in Ad,

SAMEER.

Have you tried setting the blu ray player to "bitstream"? As I explained before, I don't think changing settings in your AV receiver is the answer here. Setting HDMI to "DIRECT" merely prevents your receiver from upscaling the video.

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Dear All,

I really appreciate all your efforts.I have looked at this again and would want to say that the sony bdp s370 does not have an option for audio bitstream.......i only have PCM AND AUTO . I tried both and still not getting the hd sound or illuminators on.

What i then decieded was to try and borrow a diffrent b/r player to see if that has bitstream if yes if it will give me the hd sound.If all this works then we know that the sony player has a problem.

Alternatively if someone can advise how i can acheive the hd sound with pcm on on the blue ray player because auto does not seem to work

By the way i also got a reply from my dealer who advises that no set up is required on the A/V.Correct settings on the blue ray would give us the hd sound.

So all experts please contiue brainstorming and come to my rescue!

Thanks again,

SAMEER.

Have you connected the Sony S370 to HDMI 1 of the receiver? That could solve your problem.

"Auto" is bitstream in the Sony.

Check page 23 of your manual:

http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/warranty/SEL-asset-185224.pdf

jeff1967

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sameer,

I have tried different settings on my 370 bdp and if i change from either of these two settings my amp shows pcm instead of DTS HD

1. audio hdmi - auto

3. bd audio mix - off

I did have a problem once when i watched a movie. The amp showed dolby digital 5.1 when it should have been TrueHD. I could not change the audio in the disc menu so I had to eject the disc and reload it for it to work properly.

Perhaps your player has a similar fault. Have you tried a factory reset.

regards,

Jeff

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Dear All- My problem still persists. I was wondering,is it possible that the reason i am not getting HD sound/lite on is because i am not using HDMI cable connection to the TV ?? From the onkyo my hdmi out is empty and not going into the tv.This is because i havent got a hd tv as yet.

I ask this because i tried connecting a diffrent bd player LG this time and still not getting the dolby true hd or dts hd sound.

Thanks for your views.

Rgds,

SAMEER.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts