How to get 1080p Bluray use with legacy Yamaha Rx-V4600 reciever and pioneerPDP-436XDE display via HDMI HELP PLEASE?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi This is the first time I am posting to this forum and am hoping to get some assistance. Thanks in advance. I currently have a Yamaha RXV-4600 reciever (with 2 HDMI1.1 ports that output 1080i signal), a pioneer PDP-436XDE TV (with 2 HDMI ports capable of displaying upto 1080p/24hz) with sky HD box and Bose Acoustimass 15 6.1 speaker system.) I am thinking of buying a bluray player (tending towards the Oppo BDP-93EU or the Cambridge azure 650bd. Maybe sony BDP-S570 or panasonic dmp-bdt300eg- know these are 3D but am thinking of upgrading to 3D in probably 3 yrs time when better established). I would like to get my TV to display images at 1080p through HDMI but am ignorant as to how best to achieve this, My questions are:

1) The Yamaha RXV-4600 only goes upto 1080i. If the bluray is outputting at 1080p will the Yamaha pass this through at 1080p or will it degrade to 1080i?

2) Would the pioneer PDP-436 XDE TV upscale 1080i picture to 1080p?

Am hoping to get DTSHD and other more recent audio formats to be processed by the bluray and output through multichannel PCM to the Yamaha via HDMI together with the video signal. (Currently 1 HDMI on the TV is from the reciever and I wanted to use the 2nd HDMI for a sonySMPN100 streamer and really want the sound and upscaling that the OPPO or Cambridge would give rather than go for the integraed bluray/streamer whiich probably wouldn't be the same. Also the Yamaha reciever is great and I really don't want to change this. Please advise how best to achieve 1080p display using HDMI without going to multiple analogue optical cables. Your advice would be much appreciated. Also any views between the Oppo and the cambridge (upscaling and audio)? Looking forward to response Mike

A

Anonymous

You could ignore the amp's HDMI and connect the TV optical-out to the optical-in on the amp to handle the audio and then connect the Blueray and Sky box by HDMI to the TV, the amp input does then does not need to be changed, instead the TV feeds the amp with the audio for whatever it is playing, SD/HD broadcast, BD, Sky box, DVD/PVR etc.

I can vouch for the Sony BDP-S570, brilliant, worth the extra over the 370 for the wifi alone.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Childs1962:

You could ignore the amp's HDMI and connect the TV optical-out to the optical-in on the amp to handle the audio and then connect the Blueray and Sky box by HDMI to the TV, the amp input does then does not need to be changed, instead the TV feeds the amp with the audio for whatever it is playing, SD/HD broadcast, BD, Sky box, DVD/PVR etc.

That won't get you HD audio and may not even get you "normal" Dolby Digital or DTS, so you'll be missing out massively.

Question to the OP, what have you got against using the multi-channel analogue outputs? It's possibly the only way of getting what you require, short of buying a new amp that is.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...Except that wouldn't give HD audio from the Blu-ray player into the amp. I'd really suggest the best route is to use multichannel analogue hook-ups between the player and the receiver: this would allow the player to decode and convert onboard, and will give the best possible sound.

The Yamaha can accept multichannel LPCM up to 5.1 and 96kHz/24-bit over HDMI, but I am fairly confident that one of the very latest players will give better HD sound than a five year old receiver in this respect. Certainly the Cambridge Audio player sounds exceptionally good via its multichannel analogue outputs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew for your response, you have convinced me to go with the optical analogues for the sound and than the Cambridge Azure would work (with its 1 HDMI port versus the OPPO's 2 HDMI ports when I upgrade a few yrs down to 3D display.) I was thinking of using multichannel PCM originally(to avoid all the cables) because I read somewhere that "In September 2005, Dolby announced that A/V receivers capable of processing PCM over their HDMI 1.1 inputs should also be able to have sufficient bandwidth to accept the HD video and the PCM multi-channel audio decoded by the Hi-def DVD player." It thus appeared that A/V receiver suited with HDMI 1.1 would bring the full benefit of the lossless audio formats transporting the channels digitally as PCM.

Can you please advise how best I could achieve 1080p signal on the pioneer TV - would the TV upscale/deinterlace(?) signal recieved through the yamaha 1080i HDMI? Objective is to get the best picture

Also if I connect the player to yamaha reciever through HDMI how do I ensure that it takes the sound through the analogue connection and not the HDMI and only video through HDMI? (What settings do I use direct sound to hear player output through the recievers speakers?)Also any advise on how many cables to achieve 6.1 sound or should I connect for 7.1 even though I have a 6.1 setup? Sorry for so many questions (displays my ignorance here). Thanks for your help

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd connect the player direct to the TV via HDMI, and use four pairs of analogue interconnects from the player to your receiver. Use the Multi Ch Input source selection when you view Blu-rays.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
mike999@fsmail.net:Thanks Andrew for your response, you have convinced me to go with the optical analogues for the sound

It's not "optical" anything, multi-channel analogue outputs from the blu-ray player.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, Thats clear HDMI from player to TV and 4 pairs of 'analogue interconnects' (right terminology the _lpc sorry for previous confusion on my part) from player to reciever and viewed through selecting multichannel input for blurays and DVD's (Correct?). Andrew 3 more clarifications please:

1) Would the above connections give me the same 'quality' of picture and sound as HDMI digital connectivity (if my system alllowed it and was not limited as currently) or is it not the same but what is achievable given the equipment ?

2) By recommending connecting the player direct to TV with HDMI, both my HDMI slots are used up (1 player, 2 Sky HD) This doesn't leave me space for connecting my potential streamer for home network/internet. Can I connect this through the remaining HDMI on the reciever or do I need to buy an HDMI splitter?

3) What analogue interconnects are recommended? Thanks for your help

'the-lpc' you comment that no equipment worth mentioning- do you have a recommendation for the bluray player that in your opinion is worth mentioning given the range of the optons I am considering (1st choice following Andrews endorsement) Cambridge Azure 650BD 2)2nd choice OPPO BDP-93EU your recommendation welcome and appreciated

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
1) Yes

2) Connect the Sky HD and the new streamer through the receiver, with an HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

3) I'd suggest something like Chord Crimson as a cost-effective solution.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
mike999@fsmail.net:'the-lpc'

That's a new one!

you comment that no equipment worth mentioning- do you have a recommendation for the bluray player that in your opinion is worth mentioning given the range of the optons I am considering (1st choice following Andrews endorsement) Cambridge Azure 650BD 2)2nd choice OPPO BDP-93EU your recommendation welcome and appreciated

Ah, that's my signature, not a comment! Some people like to list their own kit in the signature, I don't consider any of my gear worth mentioning (it's mostly ten to 12 years old and was cheap back then), hence that comment.

I'm afraid I don't know either of the players mentioned, but if it was my money, I'd probably go for the Cambridge, I'd be worried that support for the Oppo might not be around for long, given their history in the UK and I haven't seen any reviews of it either.

Personally I bought the Sony BDP-S760, precisely for the same reason, the multi-channel analogue outputs, which is what I use to feed my old amp. I don't think you can get it anymore though and the replacement model, the 770 dropped the multi-channel outputs, which is really rather irritating.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, Many thanks for your expert advice. Your prompt and clear responses are much appreciated. For completeness I will let you know how I get on by posting again probably in 2-4weeks time once I have bought all of the new kit and integrated it into the existing system and have had an opportunity to run it for a few days (in between office workload!).

the_lpc Thks for clarification and comments. Sorry for misunderstanding your signoff line!!

abmscopes

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Thread ressurection from the dead alert...

Maybe I'm a bit mad, but I just love the idea of having high-end-ish stuff of yesteryear for very little money, this year. So i thought the RXv4600 for £150 off ebay almost exactly 10 years on from its launch (£1000ish new?), seems like it will be a reasonable bargain sound-quality-wise.

Not received the unit yet but I have a blueray player which can output all the newer HD sound formats via it's multi-out so wont be missing out there. I am a little annoyed that i didn't notice the 1080i issue before I clicked 'buy', but as pointed out above, I can connect things directly to the TV's HDMI for the better picture quality.

I'm expecting a major uplift in sound quality from my newer (2008-9 I think?) Onkyo sr-606, which although capable of a reasonably powerful and enjoyable sound with its discrete channel formats, is a bit below-average with DPIIx and well-below average as a stereo amp. I briefly owned a NAD T742, which is even more dated than the Yamaha with no HDMI's at all, but upon hearing how good it sounded, my appetite was whetted for a higher degree of fidelity with my AV stuff.

Fingers crossed I've made a wise purchase. 10 years old through... hmmm...

abmscopes

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The answer to that is somewhat fluid! But at the moment its B&W 601 s2's for the front, with a tannoy dual concentric thingy for the centre and mordaunt short cheapos from their premier range for the surrounds and sub (model 308?). I could also bring through from the other room my castle Pembroke's, though the B&W's are doing a good job at present.

yes, yes, I know someone is going to go on at me for not having matching front speakers, but I honestly believe the requirement for that to be overstated. I'm quite happy with the sweep of sound from centre to side and it all sounds well integrated :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts