Connections from bluray to hdmi 1.1 amp

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I am on the verge of getting a 1080p tv and bluray player. My current amp (Yam rxv-1600) excepts a 5.1 lpcm signal but is only hdmi 1.1. Hopefully this means that if I buy a bluray player that can decode hd audio onboard and output pcm, my amp should except it?

My main worry is that the picture quality will be affected by the outdated hdmi on the amp resulting in judder or worse! . Would it be safer to go for a player with analogue outs and connect the hdmi straight to the tv? or will hdmi connection be fine.

Cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just read through the manual of your amp and page 108 confirms it will accept 5.1 multichannel PCM so yup, so long as your Blu-Ray player can decode all formats onboard and output via HDMI, you're set.

Don't worry about the lack of HDMI 1.3 on the amp - the main difference was for things like guaranteed bandwidth for bitstreaming the new HD audio formats and extra features like Deep Colour (which isn't actually relevant for any of today's Blu-Rays anyway). Judder is caused by the TV or projector not being able to cope with 24fps so the amp won't have any effect on this.

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for your reply Professorhat

This is great news as it gives me a greater choice of bluray player. I was thinking of the panny bd60, ps3 and sony 350 which are abit cheaper than the models with analogue out, except the ps3 but you get more features with that.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts