4k Projector sync dropout

dangergreen

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi all. I’m running a budget home theatre setup, and am using an Acer H6810 DLP projector at 4k (pixel shift) from an XBOX series X. I’ve got HDR and 10-but colour enabled on the Xbox, which seem to be the optimal settings for the projector.
My issue is that it keeps dropping sync (no signal), or taking ages to sync when I turn the projector on or switch input. The projector is about 5m from the screen, and am using a 10m HDMI cable that says is rated at 4K/60. (I’ve tried two different cables of different brands). If I run the projector at 1080p with HDR turned off I don’t seem to have any issues.
My suspicion is that the cable is too long and it’s struggling in sustaining the data throughput; any recommendations on using HDMI over Ethernet or optical based on 10-15m length?
I’ve checked for projector firmware updates but can’t find any available. I’m using an SPDIF splitter (extractor?) between the Xbox and Projector as I need optical output for my audio setup. Has made no difference when i add or remove the splitter.
I haven’t tried connecting the projector directly to the Xbox with a short HDMI cable purely because it’s a headache to remove the projector from the ceiling mount. I realise this is an obvious test but I’m fairly confident the cable length and signal degradation is probably my issue. What’s everyone’s thoughts? Cheers

HDMI cables at 10m can be hit and miss. Make sure the cable is of a good build quality. Fibre-optic HDMI cables are more reliable at longer distances but they're not cheap. I've got couple of ethernet cables buried in as a backup for HDMI over ethernet if my 2nd 10m HDMI cable fails.

Reactions: dangergreen

dangergreen

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
HDMI cables at 10m can be hit and miss. Make sure the cable is of a good build quality. Fibre-optic HDMI cables are more reliable at longer distances but they're not cheap. I've got couple of ethernet cables buried in as a backup for HDMI over ethernet if my 2nd 10m HDMI cable fails.
For HDMI over Ethernet, do I need to cable it via a (gigabit?) switch or do I run a straight Ethernet cable with HDMI dongles at each end? Hope that makes sense.

abacus

It is not unusual for some projectors to take ages to sync (Just ask JVC owners) as it partly depends on the projector hardware.

Set your projector input to direct and let all scaling be done by the Xbox (You will need to set the output of the Xbox to the projectors requirements) as it should be more reliable than that built into the projector.

By the time you have got all the necessary equipment to use Ethernet, you will be similar in price to a good quality optical HDMI cable, get one from Amazon (Or any dealer that allows you to return it if it doesn’t work) as you can return it if it doesn’t work.

Be careful when buying normal HDMI cables as it is usually only the shorter ones that are 4K/60 not the longer ones. (Any normal HDMI cable above 8m is going to be hit or miss)

Bill

dangergreen

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Thanks all. I’ll double check projector settings for direct input and ensure scaling etc is only happening at the Xbox.
Think I’ll go down the route of an optical HDMI cable from Amazon. Will report back once I’ve done this in case it helps others.

Reactions: bigboss
Thanks all. I’ll double check projector settings for direct input and ensure scaling etc is only happening at the Xbox.
Think I’ll go down the route of an optical HDMI cable from Amazon. Will report back once I’ve done this in case it helps others.
Please bear in mind fibre-optic HDMI cables are directional, so you connect the end marked with "source" to the Xbox and the "display" end to the projector. Also, please read the notes of the product page as they have specific instructions on how to connect with PS5 (I'm assuming it'll be the same for Xbox as well).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts