PS3 & Denon 1910 - bitstream or linear settings?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I just bought Denon 1910 and connected it to my PS3 80 GB (trough HDMI cable). There are 2 questions on which I need help:

1. Should I set the PS3 on bitstream or linear settings? When it is on linear, Denon's display shows something like multichanel in ,and if I switch to bitstream it shows weather it is DD or DTS, but I am getting a message from the PS3 that some contest of the BD will not work properly. So which one should I apply? And is it true that the PS3 can not send the HD formats uncompressed?

2. I played regular DVD (turned the upscaling on the PS3 off). I expected that my Denon would do the upscaling but it didn’t. How shall I set it to do the upscaling?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot, will read and try as soon as I am back from work :))

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bigboss:Am I missing something here? My understanding is that the older 80GB PS3 cannot bitstream over HDMI.

It can't bitstream HD audio formats (like Dolby TrueHD). It can bitstream the older Dolby Digital / DTS formats. This is why it needs to be set as Linear PCM so the PS3 decodes the HD audio formats for you.

professorhat:
bigboss:Am I missing something here? My understanding is that the older 80GB PS3 cannot bitstream over HDMI.

It can't bitstream HD audio formats (like Dolby TrueHD). It can bitstream the older Dolby Digital / DTS formats. This is why it needs to be set as Linear PCM so the PS3 decodes the HD audio formats for you.

Ah, I always learn something new here. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Been keeping an eye on this thread as I have a PS3 running thorugh my Pioneer vsx-819.

I have the dolby dts and neo ii settings and I get a sounds, and they sound ok.

How do I know what my ps3 is on and decoding? As it could say hd audio on the amp, but it might be a different story with the PS3.

Mine is the 80gb that was released just before the slim, with no sd card slot.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Easiest way to tell is to press Select when you're watching a movie - in the top right hand corner of the screen it will tell you what the PS3 is currently outputting.

If it's set to bitstream, you won't be getting HD audio sound with compatible Blu-Rays. Instead it needs to be set to Linear PCM (this is in the BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) setting under Video Settings). Your amp should then indicate "Multichannel" or something similar to show it's receiving the decoded PCM track.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts