Problems with the Pioneer SC- LX56 Amp!!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I've just recently purchased this amp and although it's fantastic it does have it's Gremlins..

I'd been reading on the internet about problems with this amp, freezing issues, not turning off properly and having to unplug it from the wall, reset it etc etc

And it now looks like it's started to play up with me :mad:

First of all when I switch it off via both remote or the front panel, it "clicks" as normal but the actual display takes forever to switch off :O

And earlier when I switched it on to watch sky , the sound for sky came on for about 5 seconds then "just" the sound switched off!!

I tried a bluray disc and the same there- no sound! So I had to unplug at the wall (just like you do a sky box) then plug back in again, it came back on and the sound did too, but now when i select an input from the remote i.e say from sky to bluray it makes a clicking sound that wasn't there before, it's very annoying to say the least.

I hope it's not going to be like a sky box where I have to unplug everytime if something goes wrong.

Anybody else had any issues like this with this amp?? If so, what's the solution? And the firmware is all up to date.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

jase fox said:
I've just recently purchased this amp and although it's fantastic it does have it's Gremlins..

I'd been reading on the internet about problems with this amp, freezing issues, not turning off properly and having to unplug it from the wall, reset it etc etc

And it now looks like it's started to play up with me :mad:

First of all when I switch it off via both remote or the front panel, it "clicks" as normal but the actual display takes forever to switch off :O

And earlier when I switched it on to watch sky , the sound for sky came on for about 5 seconds then "just" the sound switched off!!

I tried a bluray disc and the same there- no sound! So I had to unplug at the wall (just like you do a sky box) then plug back in again, it came back on and the sound did too, but now when i select an input from the remote i.e say from sky to bluray it makes a clicking sound that wasn't there before, it's very annoying to say the least.

I hope it's not going to be like a sky box where I have to unplug everytime if something goes wrong.

Anybody else had any issues like this with this amp?? If so, what's the solution? And the firmware is all up to date.

Thanks

Why did you get rid of your LX70?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Because it was starting to break down Gel, so rather than bother with repairs etc thought it was a better option to replace it.

I'm pleased I did because the LX56 is night and day better (when working correctly) and I'll be changing my plasma soon so will be using 3D and this amp is 3D passthrough.

The LX70 was a damn fine amp but the 56 is a different league :grin:

D

Deleted member 2457

jase fox said:
Because it was starting to break down Gel, so rather than bother with repairs etc thought it was a better option to replace it.

I'm pleased I did because the LX56 is night and day better (when working correctly) and I'll be changing my plasma soon so will be using 3D and this amp is 3D passthrough.

It what way was it starting to break down?

Cheers

gel said:
jase fox said:

Cheers

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/strange-clickingsnapping-sound-coming-from-my-speakers-on-certain-movies

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
First started with a loud clicking sound coming from my speakers I thought it was my bluray player but I eliminated that.

Almost as if it was struggling with the audio in some way.

Then i couldn't turn it up as loud as I used too as it would distort , so it became very annoying :wall:

So decided to take the plunge with a new one. Have you heard the LX56 in action Gel?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
gel said:
jase fox said:

Cheers
Thankyou BigBoss, didn't think to do that :doh:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/strange-clickingsnapping-sound-coming-from-my-speakers-on-certain-movies

D

Deleted member 2457

jase fox said:
First started with a loud clicking sound coming from my speakers I thought it was my bluray player but I eliminated that.

Almost as if it was struggling with the audio in some way.

Then i couldn't turn it up as loud as I used too as it would distort , so it became very annoying :wall:

So decided to take the plunge with a new one. Have you heard the LX56 in action Gel?

That is not good! Nope not yet, last one I heard of that range was the 52 or 53 and that sounded really impressive and I am pretty sure they have got a lot better now too.

The only thing wrong with my LX70 is that sometimes one of the blue lights at the front don't come on. Oh yeah and when watching music Blu-rays I have to sometimes select the soundtrack twice because it can get stuck! Other than that all cool.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

jase fox said:

Panasonic TV again?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
jase fox said:

Panasonic TV again?
Yeh Gel,

Thinking of the Panny TX-P50GT50 i've seen it and I love it :bounce:

And yes the Pioneer amps have come along way since the LX70 I'm totally blown away with the sound quality the LX56 produces.

I'm sure my amp will be fine as there's alot of 56 owners that are having the same issues, going to try a reset and pioneer are saying new firmware will cure these Gremlins.....................Hopefully

D

Deleted member 2457

jase fox said:
gel said:
jase fox said:

Panasonic TV again?
Yeh Gel,

Thinking of the Panny TX-P50GT50 i've seen it and I love it :bounce:

And yes the Pioneer amps have come along way since the LX70 I'm totally blown away with the sound quality the LX56 produces.

I'm sure my amp will be fine as there's alot of 56 owners that are having the same issues, going to try a reset and pioneer are saying new firmware will cure these Gremlins.....................Hopefully

The GT50 is awesome - definitely recommend! And you can get it for like £900 now too! Bargain!!!

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hear about the problems; I havn't heard the 56, but am very pleased with my 55 so I am sure the newer amp is even better. Better to try and get it replaced its new; the longer you have it, the more likely the retailers are to try and fob you off with a repair, or leave you to deal direct wit hthe manufacturer.

Having had problems with some high end Sony receivers in the recent past, it seems this type of kit is prone to gremlins ? Bearing in the cost, I think they should at least be reliable. I know it's a much simpler piece of kit (!) and perhaps not much of a comparison, but the first stereo amp I ever bought (Sansui AU217) is still going strong some 33 years later.....

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
@Michael &Cloverleaf146

Well I've done a system reset and it's now working like a dream and the reset apparently cures the issues, with which up to now it has.

However if the gremlins show themselves again then it's going back to the shop. I got the amp from my local hifi/cinema store that I've been dealing with for around 26 years so taking it back wont be a problem.

But I agree with you Cloverleaf when your spending this kind of cash on an amp you dont expect anything to go wrong with it, especially when you've just bought it. Mind you there's alot of LX56 owners that have been having the same issues as I have, so it'll just be my luck a replacement will be the same :cry:

So it's on it's last warning |(

Still can't get over how great the sound is from this amp I'm just loving it :dance:

A

Anonymous

@jase fox

How did you do a system reset?

Strangely my LX85 since yesterday ahs started the same thing. I cannot figure what to do.

When I switch it off, I hear the click sound but the display will not turn off!!! The LX85 is only 3 months old!

Cheers

michael hoy

hkhiroya said:
@jase fox

Strangely my LX85 since yesterday ahs started the same thing. I cannot figure what to do.

When I switch it off, I hear the click sound but the display will not turn off!!! The LX85 is only 3 months old!

Cheers

Fingers crossed, I have had mine for 15 months now and no issues.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
hkhiroya said:
@jase fox

Cheers
Hi hkhiroya

Well it's on page 73 of the manual for my amp, but if not you do it as follows;

First of all make sure MULTIZONE is OFF / Disconnect any iPOD and USB devices from the Amp and set the CONTROL with HDMI to OFF

* Switch the receiver into STANDBY

* While holding down ENTER on the front panel, press STANDBY/ON

(the display shows RESET -NO- )

* select "RESET" using PRESET (arrows that point either left or right) then press ENTER on the front panel

(the display shows RESET? OK.

* press ENTER to confirm

(then OK appears in the display to indicate that it has been RESET

Also when you've RESET it, turn the Amp into standby and then unplug it at the socket, wait couple of mins then plug back in and this should sort it.

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the directions.
smile.png

I have reset the amp and all works fine now. Strangely though when I re-did the full MCACC calibration it said one of my speakers was out of phase (+/- wired wrongly). After trying 3 times checking behind the AV and Speaker and all was ok, then in the fourth try it all calibrated fine without any issues. Strange!!

Well I shall have to keep a keen eye on the unit now.

Also, if the AV has an issue and is sent back will they repair it or replace it considering it is in its 4th month?

Cheers

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm now not getting any sound from my amp albeit from Sky, bluray, cd etc
Looked at the troubleshooting guide and checked out all the AUDIO ISSUES etc and everything is set as normal, so sat here all confused
confused.gif
trying to figure it out, to no avail...

I decided to switch it off and back on again and it's then I noticed the "2nd" click was absent.
When you first turn it on you get the initial click then the 2nd one turns all sound on etc

Great!! So a replacement is inevitable

michael hoy

jase fox said:
Looked at the troubleshooting guide and checked out all the AUDIO ISSUES etc and everything is set as normal, so sat here all confused
confused.gif

I decided to switch it off and back on again and it's then I noticed the "2nd" click was absent.
When you first turn it on you get the initial click then the 2nd one turns all sound on etc

Hi Jase,

I think you're right, replace it while you can.

Better luck with the next one, as we both know the Pioneer amps are usually very reliable.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy said:
jase fox said:
confused.gif

Hi Jase,

I think you're right, replace it while you can.

Better luck with the next one, as we both know the Pioneer amps are usually very reliable.
Yes very true Michael , I'll go in the morning as there open on Sunday's I'll be sat outside on the amp waiting ha 8)

I'll keep you posted Michael on this thread ;)

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Right I've just got back from the HIFI store (didn't get there Sunday as family stuff) and told John (the owner) all the symptoms over a cup of coffee!!

He then got on the phone to Pioneer and relayed my report to them, the phone call lasted around 5mins and he told me that Pioneer are sending me out a replacement today so it should be with me by Thursday.

Now in John's experience he believed (although he could be wrong) that Pioneer are familiar with the issues with this amp (not that pioneer said outright) as usually they ask questions like "has he done this, has he done that, checked for this that and the other, but on this occasion they didn't ask anything! After he explained what I told him was wrong with it they put him on hold (most likely talking to there engineer team) when they came back on that's when they said they where sending the replacement.

So at least I'm getting a new one, must say I'm pleased there actually sending a new one as if John had another amp in stock I'd feel it could be a faulty batch, so maybe Pioneer will send out a more current one.

Roll on Thursday :clap:

And I hope the new one works , ha :pray:

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Was just about to pull the trigger on the '56 myself,after a disasterous DOA SC-LX83. I also came from a VSX-LX70 in mint cond. So while i was deciding on what to do,i got a VSX-2020 for a bargain,happy with detailed,dynamic if not as powerfull as the 70. But it helped sway my decision to stay with pioneer... So after i eventually got a refund of £1060,i noticed F.harvey had an Demo SC-LX72 with normal 2 year warranty.

I then thought to myself: What if i paired it with a new BDP-LX55,I'd have multi-ch pcm PQLS,3D no problem with twin HDMI outs on the LX-55,MKV streaming/USB playback & stream smoother direct frm the '55 for youtube etc.

So for the same reduced promo price of the SC-LX56,i opted for the SC-LX72/BDP-LX55 pair. I also still have a PWO BDP-51,so i think i got a lot of the features of the 56 & the '83. The SC-LX72 is a really great sounding detailed av receiver with a great grip on music,also in a totally different league to the VSX-LX70 for detail & seems a fair bit more powerful.

i know david from f.harvey is a regular here,giving good insight into kit. Also kevin is an absolute great salesperson,helpful,rapid replys to emails & everything a A/V expert should be. Well i was pretty happy with both products, All the accessories wern't even opened in the avr box & it was literally in brand new condition.Thanks to F.H. :cheers:

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Michael,

How have you got your subwoofer connected to this amp? And if your using just line level do you get sub bass in stereo mate?

Cheers

Sorry meant to say "your amp" :-/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts