Problems with iphone 3.0/remote app

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Ok might need some help here before I actually kill myself.

I have several airports around the house and stream music from itunes to all of them with remote app on my iphone. Its worked splendidly for months, prompting smug posts on how everyone should use this system on more than one occasion. I upgrade the phones os to 3.0 and it doesn't work any more. I can connect to the network and play a song but when I go back in (to change a song, volume, whatever) it opens, freezes for a moment then loses wireless signal, tries to find said signal, asks me to re enter wi fi password (??) and then tells me it can't connect. I've tried resetting the phone/router/pc, uninstalling/reinstalling the remote app, looking for updates to itunes/remote software and nothing works.

This is pretty crucial to me - its how I listen to/control my every day music. Spotify streams fine so its not the airports and its not a conflict between airfoil and itunes either. The wifi connection to the iphone seems worse than before.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help

A

Anonymous

I think iPhone OS 3 only works with iTunes 8.2. Are you running an earlier version of iTunes? Just a thought.....

A

Anonymous

I've had a play about with my iPhone with 3.0 installed and tried using remote and I couldn't replicate any of your problems. Before I installed OS 3.0 I hit the 'restore' button on iTunes to completely wipe it, but you shouldn't really need to do this...

However, with regards to Wi-Fi I have noticed a drop in signal strength on my network, 3 bars before now 1 or 2 at best. Noticed on Mac Forums some others have similar issues too.

Are you getting a good signal on the Wi-Fi network or has it dropped like mine?

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hey Marty, AKL.

Thanks for looking at this issue. Yeah using 8.2, good recco though. I have certainly noticed a drop in signal strength generally... I used to able to happily sit in bed and check the app store etc on wifi but now it drops in and out. Re remote I've managed to improve things by going into the device tab on itunes, forgetting all remotes and starting again but its still sporadic connection at best. Interesting you can't replicate the issue - I guess that means its not the remote software?

John Duncan

My remote worked fine, though at the time I had only my Mac and my iPod turned on, nothing else going round the network. And I've had issues with my wireless network recently anyway, prior to OS3.0 (streaming spotify to it using airfoil was useless), so not sure my experience would help you.

One thing I do notice is that you say you have "several" AEs - I'd suggest that any drop in your wireless strength is going to be much more noticeable when you've got loads of them - your wireless network might have been at the 'cliff edge' anyway.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I thought this might be the issue too John so turned them all off and had the pc running just itunes with wired pc speakers. Same deal with the remote app. All a bit odd.

A

Anonymous

You are definitely not alone. When I start the Remote App, pretty quickly my wifi strength goes down to a single bar (from 5), and more often than not wifi drops out completely. If I quit the Remote app, it comes back fine. Tried resetting network settings, to no avail.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Its certainly better after using the 'forget all remotes' option in the devices tab in itunes. I reset the router, phone and pc, deleted remote app from both itunes and the phone - basically started again.

I can't say its perfect but it drops out every so often now ...rather than every time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts