problem with Teac Reference 500i amplifier volume control

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello here,
Maybe somebody already know what to do. I got this Teac Reference 500i amplifier and it has problem with volume control - at low levels (for late night listening) channels are very much out of balance. At normal listening volume they are fine. Can it be easy fixed or only way to fix it is to change it? Is it worth to look for volume control replacement? Any other comments about this amplifier and matching cd player (which I do not have yet) also are welcome. Thanks.

T

the record spot

Might just be you need someone to take off the case and clean up the interior around the volume control. Some folk on here might do that for themselves, so you could do it yourself, but if unsure, have it serviced. No idea of cost alas.

Well rated system in its' day (roughly a decade ago); one of the better lifestyle systems as I recall. Nice design too.

A

Anonymous

Yes, it is a nice looking system. Currently source is from Beresford dac and sound maybe has too much bass, will see that later with cd player.

I took off the case but there is nothing what I can clean. It is motorised and covered potentiometer and I need to dismantle it completely, including desoldering from that small board on what its sit, if I want to clean something. Will try to search for new one. Maybe somebody knows about compatible alternatives?

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
You could try some form of attenuator in line with your input, if you search the forum you'll find lots of threads discussing such products.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for an idea! As temporary solution I can connect amplifier to dac variable output and use dac volume control as attenuator. But that will work for one input and I will need unplug headphones. Also I am not sure if it is good thing run signal for 10 metres long cable with reduced level. And any of outside attenuators will work on only one input, quite expensive solution. I quess there must be some which I can solder inside case, just before volume control. Will keep looking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts