Problem with my Fatman Itube Carbon Mk2 - sounds like crackling vinyl - help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I was very impressed with the general opinion of the Fatman Itube Carbon Mk2, it seemed that it was just what I needed for my bedroom and I've paired it with some Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs (as recommended in the what hifi review I think). I have one niggling problem with it though which is now rapidly turning into a nightmare. The right hand speaker sounds like it's a crackling piece of vinyl.

That's probably the best description for it, it's not exceptionally loud but if theres a quiet album on such as Expecting to Fly by The Bluetones you can hear it in the right hand speaker, for the first 2 weeks I just thought it was something like a loose connection or something. I am using the Banana plug cable that came with the Itube. I tried swapping the speakers over at the back to eliminate the possibility of the Tannoy's being at fault - but no, when I swapped the left and right outputs over at the back of the Itube - the fault transferred to the other speaker (so the problem is related to the right output). It's more noticeable if you don't actually play any music, sometimes I would go to bed and realise I'd left the unit on after it suddenly started crackling. The crackling didn't become any louder or quieter depending on the volume setting - does this indicate a fault AFTER the amplification stage?

After 3 weeks of testing the company I ordered it from have not found any problem - this really puzzles me, part of me suspects that either they haven't tested it properly or they don't want to replace the unit. It is now going back to Fatman themselves for further tests... but what on earth would I do if they report back that no fault can be found? I'll be left with a unit that won't work in my room, how would I go about proving the fault?

Any suggestions guys?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Poss the tubes - could be dirt on the contacts of the tubes or they could have been knocked during transit and not pushed in properly - if you had the unit i would say in first instance remove the back two tubes and replace if crackle persists then try swapping the left and right tubes over and if the fault moves its def the tubes which is pretty cheap and quick to replace.

If it doesn't change then its something within the unit.

Also i have found that the banana plug holes in the back of the unit are bigger than standard and i had to bend the prongs out a little to make a better contact - i changed my cables and use qed plugs which needed the prongs bending to fit really snuggly as well.

A

Anonymous

Yes I did find that the plugs never seemed to be a snug fit. Thankyou for your suggestions. It's all a shame because I had high hopes for the Itube and I still do if this niggly little issue can be resolved.

A

Anonymous

Hi Henley,

It's on it's way back to you guys now from the retailer involved, I spoke with Neil at Henley earlier who was very helpful.

Steven

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
nashie:
Hi Henley,

It's on it's way back to you guys now from the retailer involved, I spoke with Neil at Henley earlier who was very helpful.

Steven

Excellent, we'll try to resolve this as efficiently as possible. Please mail me if there are any further issues.

A

Anonymous

Hi matengawhat,

I am due to get my Itube back shortly as Henley couldn't replicate the problem. When I get it back I will see if I can bend the prongs on the banana plugs a little as I agree they were never a snug fit. Hopefully that will fix it.

Steven

A

Anonymous

Did you try plugging it in another wall outlet ? Maybe there is a problem with the power cord also ?? Try another power cord if detachable ?

A

Anonymous

Well thats both Superfi and Henley that have tested my Itube and found that there's nothing wrong with it, so it must evidently be all in my head.

It's arrived back here, is now plugged in and crackling like your favourite old great auntie's gramophone playing worn out Glen Miller records.

Suffice to say I am getting very tired of the whole affair, the weird thing now is that the fault is appearing in the left speaker output now and the right is fine. I have just left both cables in the itube and swapped the speakers and - you guessed it, the problem is now only showing up on the left output.

The banana plugs slide in and out of the left outputs like a wizards sleeve, not in the slightest bit snug which boggles the mind when you consider I am using a cable that came with the unit.... and it plainly does not fit correctly.

What did puzzle me greatly is that neither Henley or superfi tested the banana plug cables that came with the itube (what a terrible way to test), so it's a possibility that it's related to the banana plugs. The thing that frustrates me now is that I could spend time figuring - 'I'll get some speaker cable and have them wired up instead.'... then potentially find that theres still a problem and probably lose whatever rights I have to get my money back.

I'm absolutely gutted that I've bought both the Tannoys and the itube as if I get rid of the itube I have no use for the tannoys, so I'll end up selling them at a loss on ebay. All in all this is an incredibly disappointing and frustrating experience.

God knows what I'll do with the thing now, I feel like throwing it out of the window.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Have you tried different cables yet?

Needn't be expensive. Just get some basic QED 79 strand (about £1.50 per metre) and some screw on banana plugs all from your local Maplin shop.

Probably cost you about a tenner in all.

It will at least reassure you that you have exhausted all variables and may just eliminate the problem.

(You mentioned that Henley could not replicate the fault and used other cables than yours.)

A

Anonymous

My first idea was, to bring the itube to a friend and connect it there. Maybe there is a problem with your wall-socket or something similar.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
nashie:
Well thats both Superfi and Henley that have tested my Itube and found that there's nothing wrong with it, so it must evidently be all in my head.

It's arrived back here, is now plugged in and crackling like your favourite old great auntie's gramophone playing worn out Glen Miller records.

Suffice to say I am getting very tired of the whole affair, the weird thing now is that the fault is appearing in the left speaker output now and the right is fine. I have just left both cables in the itube and swapped the speakers and - you guessed it, the problem is now only showing up on the left output.

The banana plugs slide in and out of the left outputs like a wizards sleeve, not in the slightest bit snug which boggles the mind when you consider I am using a cable that came with the unit.... and it plainly does not fit correctly.

What did puzzle me greatly is that neither Henley or superfi tested the banana plug cables that came with the itube (what a terrible way to test), so it's a possibility that it's related to the banana plugs. The thing that frustrates me now is that I could spend time figuring - 'I'll get some speaker cable and have them wired up instead.'... then potentially find that theres still a problem and probably lose whatever rights I have to get my money back.

I'm absolutely gutted that I've bought both the Tannoys and the itube as if I get rid of the itube I have no use for the tannoys, so I'll end up selling them at a loss on ebay. All in all this is an incredibly disappointing and frustrating experience.

God knows what I'll do with the thing now, I feel like throwing it out of the window.

nashie - have you tried swapping over the tubes - you need a long philips screwdriver from memory to remove the cage then whilst turned off swap over the back two tubes and let me know if its changes sides if not then try swapping speaker cable from left to right then at least you can establish if its either cables or tubes - from what you have said i would say its one or the other. Have you also tried different mains socket and leead?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Another thought is that it could be the volume control.

If they are using some cheapo carbon pot volume control that may be the cause.

switch off the unit and turn the volume control quickly between maximum and minimum quite a few times (20 or 30 times at least). Turn it back down to minmum and switch on and see if this has alleviated it.

If so, then complain to the manufacturer about cheapo nasty volume control and ask them to replace it with something that will not crackle. (This problem used to plague many a cheap amp in the bad old days.)

A

Anonymous

thanks for your advice all. I shall be busy over the weekend I think trying to solve it and I'll let you know how I get on (hopefully I'll be in a better mood than last night though :D). I left the itube on last night - not playing anything, I realised it was still on when it suddenly started crackling again suddenly. Grrr arrrrg!

Things do to this weekend - try new cables, try swapping the tubes, and I could try the volume thing tonight.

A

Anonymous

Query: is it the internal speaker protection switch?

I have a Fatman iTube Dock + Free Fatfones Without Speakers Chrome from hifiuser (mailto:eek:rders@luxtech-uk.co.uk), cost under GBP200.

When it warms up I - sometimes - get a sort of wind in the trees wooshing from the RHS. This persists even when the speaker cables are changed (to spades, actually). In general it is unaffected by working the volume knob. I haven't yet reported it - it is an irritation but I'm not using it in a bedroom.

My current theory is to do with the Speaker protection Circuit (mentioned in manual). How about if this contains a relay or similar that closes imperfectly? I tried switching the warm unit on and off again and I think that (temporarily) shifted the 'swooshing' problem.

(thre is also a slight hum at max vol and a slight graininess when the rotary volume is worked but those are different matters and not problematic)

In summary my 'remedy' was reducing vol to min, turning amp off and after a few secs on again?

A

Anonymous

Just come across this thread - very interesting.

My fatman emits a low hum from both speakers. Its been replaced but problem still exists. Changed speakers, cables, even building hum is still there - with an occasional crackle for fun.

How many other units are misbehaving I wonder?

A

Anonymous

We have exactly the same problem with our Carbon 2. The right channel is very crackly. I can hear it clearly from about 6 feet away.

We swapped round speakers and leads to eliminate them as the cause.

We have taken it back to the dealer and frustratingly they cannot replicate the problem. We are going in to have a listen to it again in their shop this week so we will let you know what they suggest.

A

Anonymous

I took our Carbon back to the retailer, Audio T. Fortunately it crackled when they tested it as well. Audio T and Fatman offered a replacement, no argument. Just played the replacement and it sounds perfect.

In answer to Andrew Knights question, the Fatman Carbon has a lovely warm sound. And I think it is the best looking docking station we have seen. We have Monitor speakers with it.

A

Anonymous

The Whathifi.com exclusive review of Naim's revolutionary new 'NaimUniti' a CD/wireless receiver that offers truly 21st century digital playback.vinyl window repair

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts