Proac Tablette Anniversary

paulbfd

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Wondered if anyone has had a serious demo of these yet and could pass opinion? They'll be used in a 12' x 15' room, on Partington Broadsides with Musical Fidelity as source.

Many thanks in advance,

Paul.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

We've been running ours in on a Naim Uniti for the past month or so, and that room is about 11 x 15 feet. While they're not designed for bass extension, they're surprisingly good in this respect, and with a slightly larger cabinet over the Tablette 8's, they're a little fuller sounding. They improve greatly over previous Tablettes as far as speed and detail go, thanks to their Kevlar drivers, which is technology they've brought down from the Carbon series.

paulbfd

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome and reply.

I listen to a lot of classic rock (Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, etc.) but also the likes of Michael Jackson, Simply Red and some of our lasses more modern material like The Script and Kings of Leon and have some Telarc records which can be quite heavy hitters.

Never really listen at more than moderate levels (if I do crank it up I spend more time looking out the window to see if my neighbour has come back!) so would these little Proacs be suitable to my tastes? They'll be replacing a pair of MA RX2s, which for a standmount I guess couldn't be much more different and I'm very happy with them, however upgrade-itis is kicking in and I'm trying to get a list of contenders together.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They'll definitely be an upgrade ove the RX2's as far as midrange and treble are concerned. The bottom end will be a different story, and a case of personal taste. The bass will be much tighter than the RX2's, but not as prominent. You'll be able to hear a lot more of what's going on in the music, but the they'll not have the huge bass the RX2's possess, although they're quite impressive for their size.

paulbfd said:
Wondered if anyone has had a serious demo of these yet and could pass opinion? They'll be used in a 12' x 15' room, on Partington Broadsides with Musical Fidelity as source. Many thanks in advance, Paul.

Hi paulbfd

What Musical Fidelity component/s do you use please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

paulbfd

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
A5 integrated, Trivista DAC & A3.2cd which I use as transport. The amp and DAC have been modified by JS Audio and I think I've hit my price / performance limit with these if that makes sense?

So next on the hit list is speakers and I've got a few in mind.

The Proacs have obviously caught my eye, B&Ws CM8, I'm also keen to see what the new MA GX series are like when they come out - as ever there's always so many choices.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The B&W's and the MA's will be the natural regression from what you have as they'll not disappoint you in the bass department after the RX2's. I'm not saying the Tablettes will though, but I would recommend a listen first as theyll be quite different to what you're used to.

paulbfd

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
My nearest Proac dealer is quite a trek, so I wanted to try and find a good opinion first before comitting to travel, especially with petrol prices being so high! I think first port of call is my local to try the CM8s and go from there.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Try the CM's first, then pop back on and let us know if there's anything about them you do or don't like, or what you'd improve, then I'll let you know if it'll be worth travelling for :)

paulbfd said:
A5 integrated, Trivista DAC & A3.2cd which I use as transport. The amp and DAC have been modified by JS Audio and I think I've hit my price / performance limit with these if that makes sense? So next on the hit list is speakers and I've got a few in mind. The Proacs have obviously caught my eye, B&Ws CM8, I'm also keen to see what the new MA GX series are like when they come out - as ever there's always so many choices.

Hi paulbfd

Thanks for your reply.

Very nice especially the Trivista DAC :)

Yes, the new GX Series is definitely worth waiting for. Anyway in the mean time ATC's SCM11 monitors are also worth serious consideration. SCM11's work a treat with the A5 and A3.2 cd :bigsmile:

Btw, what difference have the modifications made to the performance of the amp and dac?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

paulbfd

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I can't comment on the amp before / after as I bought that with the mods already carried out. Apart from the usual caps, opamps, etc. that most companies replace, John also bins the single transformer and fits two huge ones for the power and another for the preamp, all built to his spec. It replaced an Arcam A85 / P85 combo and trounced them.

The DAC I had done and although bass isn't the be all and end all, the improvements in this area were superb and imaging / staging is just incredible. I am very pleased with the results and can highly recommend the work to others - have a noisy at his website on the testimonials.

He also has a few tweaks that he can do to improve the A3.2 as a transport so it won't be long before it wings it's way down to him, I just need to wait a bit longer as my GF will pick up on "one of the boxes" missing again when we're supposed to be paying for a wedding!

paulbfd said:
I can't comment on the amp before / after as I bought that with the mods already carried out. Apart from the usual caps, opamps, etc. that most companies replace, John also bins the single transformer and fits two huge ones for the power and another for the preamp, all built to his spec. It replaced an Arcam A85 / P85 combo and trounced them. The DAC I had done and although bass isn't the be all and end all, the improvements in this area were superb and imaging / staging is just incredible. I am very pleased with the results and can highly recommend the work to others - have a noisy at his website on the testimonials. He also has a few tweaks that he can do to improve the A3.2 as a transport so it won't be long before it wings it's way down to him, I just need to wait a bit longer as my GF will pick up on "one of the boxes" missing again when we're supposed to be paying for a wedding!

Hi paulbfd

Thanks for your reply.

Nice one :)

Btw, i've never heard the part about "supposed to be paying for a wedding" before
smiley-wink.gif
:D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

paulbfd

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Finally managed to get a couple of hours spare today and went for a listen to the CM8.

Glorous midrange, nice top end and bass was good for the size of driver, however there was quite a noticable (what I call) rainbow effect - a prime example was listening to a piano where the low notes literally started lower in the stage on the left and end up higher on the right.

A good speaker, but not the one for me.

As time was limited I just got to listen to one more, Neats Motive 1 - this was much better, smoother midrange and treble but with more bass weight and punch and none of the rainbow effect. Will be taking a day off work to get more time with them and also try a few others they had in store.

Very enjoyable morning :)

A

Anonymous

Paul,

I just auditioned the ProAc Tablette Anniversary speakers for over one hour. I compared them to ProAc Studio 140s, and Quad 22L2s. The amplifier used had four 6L6 tubes. I brought my own music for listening, mostly vocals. I went to hear the Studio 140s after listening to the Quads many times, but I could not stop listening to the Tablettes. The vocals sounded fantasic. Best of all was the imaging, the sound seemed to come from a great distance from behind the speakers.

Next we selected a track with more bass, since all my music was mostly vocals. Here, the speakers were very different. The Tablettes were weak with the lower frequencies. With the 140s I could feel the full and rich sound of the stand up bass, which was absent for the Tabletts. Previously, I have heard the 22L2s pound out Michael Jackson's thriller like I have never heard, plenty of bass.

In my opinion, given your selections of music, you should avoid the Tablettes. You would be much happier with the Quad 22L2s or something else.

Jack

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think anyone looking to audition Tablettes aren't going to expect gut churning bass, it's not what they're about. Their detail in the midrange and treble is matched by very few, and what bass they do have, is very tight and tuneful. They're for a very different customer than a Studio 140 MkII customer. Feedback from our customers has been very positive about them, and the general consensus is that people like their fast, detailed sound, and welcome the lack of bloated, bogged down bass that marrs many speaker designs.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I auditioned the Tablettes recently and was very impressed. I had just listened to the ProAc K6 with a ribbon tweeter, which is roughly 10 times the price of the Tablettes. Although the bass of the Tablettes was nowhere near the K6, the overall balance was fantastic. In a nutshell, no one present in the listening room felt the Tablettes were vastly inferior to the K6, not by a long stretch.

Certainly the three customers present in the shop were sufficiently blown away - all promptly placed orders!

A

Anonymous

I went back to hear the ProAc Tablette Anniversary loadspeakers again. I only got a chance to play one familiar test song that contained a broad range of bass and vocals. It sounded very good; it passed this test for me. I love the detail and size of the soundstage with these speakers, even when sitting close to them. I'm looking for a speaker that works in many different rooms, including smaller ones.

One final question I have about these speakers is how they sound a low volumes. I'm not sure if speaker size or efficiency is a significant factor for low volume listening. Mabye the amp is more important? My tube amp currently sounds great at low volumes when listening to my current speakers which are large floor standing speakers with a sensitivity of 88db. Can anyone comment on these ProAc speakers and low volume listening?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Tablettes are 1.5dB less efficient than your current speakers, which isn't a vast difference, so if your current amp drives your current speakers comfortably, things should be fine. High efficiency speakers are usually very good at low volumes, but I've found that lower sensitivity speakers are more dependent on the amplification to 'perk' them up. Using an insufficient amplifier will end up in a dull sound, lacking any sort of excitement or energy. The Tablettes are an 8ohm load, which will make them an easier load for your amplifier. We usually have ours running in our demo room off a Naim Uniti, which sounds fine at all volumes.

A

Anonymous

I bought my ProAc Tablette Annaversary about one week ago together with a Creek Destiny2 .

I use Bryston Bdp1 and Bda1 as source . Know they need some weeks at least to sound there best , but already they sound fantastic, and the looks are awsome :)

Cheers from Norway

A

Anonymous

Singslinger said:
I auditioned the Tablettes recently and was very impressed. I had just listened to the ProAc K6 with a ribbon tweeter, which is roughly 10 times the price of the Tablettes. Although the bass of the Tablettes was nowhere near the K6, the overall balance was fantastic. In a nutshell, no one present in the listening room felt the Tablettes were vastly inferior to the K6, not by a long stretch.

Certainly the three customers present in the shop were sufficiently blown away - all promptly placed orders!

Could you please tell a bit more about the equipment used ,roomsize, music etc ? :)

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know how Tablette Anniversary and new Studio 115 compares to each other? I mean: in terms of refinement, Studio 115 is too far from Tablette?

And what about Spendor SA1 and Tablette?

Cheers,

João

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
jneves said:
Does anyone know how Tablette Anniversary and new Studio 115 compares to each other? I mean: in terms of refinement, Studio 115 is too far from Tablette?

I am also very interested in a comparison between these 2 Proac speakers. ;)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jneves said:

Cheers,

João

Both the Tablette and 115's have the more recent lively, faster ProAc sound, so in many ways will sound similar. Obviously the 115's have an advantage as far as bass power and depth are concerned due to the larger cabinet volume and larger bass driver, but that's where the Tablettes have an advantage. Because they're not trying to be big speakers with regards to bass, you're treated to a more insightful upper bass, midrange, and treble. Because the 115's are larger, they are easier to drive, and will fill a large room more easily than a small speaker like the Tablettes. Having said that, the Tablette produces a surprisingly large soundstage.

If high volume and bass power is needed, the 115's should be the way to go, but if the Tablettes produces enough bass and goes deep enough for you, the Tablettes will be a more rewarding listen. I'd say they're equally well refined.

The SA1's are smoother tonally, and also smoother as far as frequency response goes due to their sealed cabinet. These are easier to accommodate because of this, whereas the Tablettes might need 6-12" in some rooms to work well. They are a little less efficient than the Tablettes, so slightly more careful matching might be needed, but basically, this is the speaker to call upon if the Tablettes are too lively for the user, or if very close wall proximity is needed.

A

Anonymous

jneves said:

Cheers,

João

Soon as my Tablette's arrive I'll be giving you a comparison, what I can tell you is the SA1 compared to the other speakers (I own) is it still old school sound. Its a slightly softer warmer sound but it is extremely well integrated and nothing stands out and draw attention to itself, imaging is first class. Soundtsaging tends to emphasize height rather than depth in my experience but theres plenty of separation and its well organised. Its also needs a lot of current to get it singing so its a good job that it theres nothing about the sound that would make you whince, once cranked up you can really appreciate its strengths. My feeling is its best suited to jazz, chamber, female vocal and classic rock styles, hard rock and headbanging are definitely out.

A

Anonymous

Thank you, guys,

I´m moving to another city (another country, to tell the truth) and I think I´ll sell my int amp and my speakers. I´ll purchase new ones there. So I´m looking for information about the brands which have distributors there.

I already know apartments there are pretty small (at least the ones I can pay for...). So speakers that can work close to walls (25-30cm) are preferred. SA1 is sealed, what is good. Studio 115 is front ported, what is still good. Tablette is back ported; I´m not sure they work well so close to wall.

I once heard a ProAc D15 and I really liked it. Very neutral, detailed and the bass was unbelieveable! At the same place, at which I had been sometimes, I also heard Spendor speakers: SA1, SP100R, SP2/3R2. Both ProAc and Spendor were driven by Croft pre/amp.

SA1 and SP100R are incredibly seducing, but SA1 seemed considerably more inviting, where SP100R was a bit too much laid back.

That´s my doubt between these 2 brands. I wouldn´t like something so laid back. I´m brazilian and, besides jazz, I listen mostly to brazilian popular music, including samba, for example. So I´d like something more, let´s say, lively, but never something that gives an "on my nose" sound.

Cheers,

João

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts