ProAc Studio 140 vs ProAc Response DT8

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
I'm trying to decide whether to buy new ProAc Response DT8 (best offer €2,850) or used ProAc Studio 140 (couple of offers on a local secondary market for €850).

Will use pre / power: Rotel RC-1572 MKII / Rotel rb-1582 MkII + thinking about Pro-Ject Evo turntable. Room size is ~25 sq.m. (4,7 m x 5,5m).
I prefer low to moderate listening levels.

I have already auditioned new DT8 and was impressed (especially with vinyl).

So I wonder how different Studio 140 will sound (e.g. much inferior to DT8/ or just different in tonality)?

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 160668

A cautionary note from me. The DT8's are bass monsters. Very very heavy on the bass response. I'd be wary of buying them without a home demo as they could easily overblow lots of rooms with bass, imo.

I recently did a listening exercise where I tried lots of speakers at various price points, including the DT8's. The D20's are a more refined speaker if your budget goes that far and it must be ProAc. Personally, I didn't much care for the floorstanders they offer. But everyone is different. The standmounts on the other hand - the DB1 is a phenomenal speaker, imo.

Anyway, my point is if you go for DT8's don't buy blind without a home demo... If you go for the second hand ones, little risk as you could move them on of they don't work.

Reactions: P.Pacific
A cautionary note from me. The DT8's are bass monsters. Very very heavy on the bass response. I'd be wary of buying them without a home demo as they could easily overblow lots of rooms with bass, imo.

I recently did a listening exercise where I tried lots of speakers at various price points, including the DT8's. The D20's are a more refined speaker if your budget goes that far and it must be ProAc. Personally, I didn't much care for the floorstanders they offer. But everyone is different. The standmounts on the other hand - the DB1 is a phenomenal speaker, imo.

Anyway, my point is if you go for DT8's don't buy blind without a home demo... If you go for the second hand ones, little risk as you could move them on of they don't work.
he has already demoed the DT8

Reactions: P.Pacific
D

Deleted member 160668

he has already demoed the DT8
He has auditioned. But doesn't state if in a shop or at home. My note of caution is these, imo, definitely need a home demo. They are very bassy indeed speakers.

As we all know, what works in the shop, which is ideally set up for the demo, does not necessarily work at home.

These could easily overpower many rooms with bass, imo. Therefore a home demo is essential.

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site

I appreciate your feedback, amormusic!

Indeed they sounded with full authority even with my Pre-amp in 'bypass' (usually with B&W at home I need to adjust bass up to +5/8 and treble up to +3-4). I took my gear to the dealer's room (~35 sq.meters) and will certainly discuss home demo should I decide on buying them.

I have auditioned DT8 along with FyneAudio F501SP and FyneAudio F702. I liked DT8 much more both in terms of clarity and bass. But maybe they are just a better pair for my mid-fi Rotel gear ;)

Things got even better when the dealer put vinyl records and DT8 played with almost holographic soundstage. I wonder, am I making a mistake thinking about ProAc Studio 140 at all. It's just that I have some attractive offers (IMO) on used market around me...

D

Deleted member 160668

DT8's at £2.3k (UK price) is not an insignificant amount of money. There are many many options available to you for this amount of dough.

Assume you are buying the DT8's new? If so, wrap your ears around lots of speakers on the end of your kit before parting with your hard earned and spending on these. Not because I'm knocking them, I'm not at all. But spend once and get it right, so you know you got the very best speakers for you and your kit.

Also, don't be afraid of second hand speakers. If you get it wrong it's easy to move along hi-end but well loved and looked after kit, for little or no loss in money.

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
DT8's at £2.3k (UK price) is not an insignificant amount of money. There are many many options available to you for this amount of dough.

Assume you are buying the DT8's new? If so, wrap your ears around lots of speakers on the end of your kit before parting with your hard earned and spending on these. Not because I'm knocking them, I'm not at all. But spend once and get it right, so you know you got the very best speakers for you and your kit.

Also, don't be afraid of second hand speakers. If you get it wrong it's easy to move along hi-end but well loved and looked after kit, for little or no loss in money.
I couldn't agree more, amormusic!

Really good points about second hand market. It's not as saturated with good offers here in Portugal as in the UK though. But still sometimes makes more sense than working with dealers here...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts