Apr 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi There,
My first post in the forums.

For many years, I had been thinking of getting a decent Hi-Fi setup - and by decent I don't mean really high end audiophile grade stuff, but something that sounds better than my MacBook hooked up to my Bose QC 35II or AirPods or my Logitec external speakers - as you can see the bar isn't that high.

Having said that, I used to have a flatmate who was an avid enthusiast and had the classics from Nakamichi, NAD and Audio Technica, so I also have an idea of what high quality integrated (albeit dated) amplifiers and speakers can produce.

My requirements, apart from great sound would be longevity - I'd like to sink around 2500 but I expect not to change anything in the next decade or even more. The other requirement for me would be to be able to at least stream from my Apple devices wirelessly and in wired mode, e.g. DAC. In the future I may add a turntable but that's not an important requirement.

After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that for a mid sized living room, where the setup will be hosted, the perfect pairing for me would be:

AmpProsCons
Roksan Attessa
  • Great streaming support
  • Blue OS
No USB DAC
Musical Fidelity m3siUSB DACNo streaming support
audiolab 7000aUSB DACNo streaming support

All of the above paired with the Wharfdale Linton or Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2 Anniversary Edition.
I haven't bothered researching anything else - recommendations welcome.

I'm currently torn between the Roksan and Musical Fidelity. Heart says Musical Fidelity, head says Roksan. Help!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi There,
Apologies - I was looking at the MF m3si - all three amp are basically in the same price bracket.
I haven't heard any of the amps yet, in research phase ATM.
Thanks.

Welcome!

Commendable logic in my estimation. But even more important…have you heard these speakers or played with the amps?

Which MF amp are you looking at?

You need to work out which speakers you like the sound of first, as they’re the one item in your system that will interact with your room. Neither of those speakers are particularly room friendly, so all the more important to get to hear them for yourself. Preferably in your room.

Only then can you decide which amplifier is the best match for those speakers.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
The Wiim Mini at about £80 will give you streaming (Spotify etc), internet radio and Airplay 2. The digital output is bit perfect. I suggest the non streaming Altessa, you save a lot of money, and it is easier to upgrade a separate modest price streamer. I cannot advise which of those amps to get.

If you want to physically connect an iPhone to the amp, just use the £10 Apple DAC dongle, it is surprisingly good.

Amps tend to be fairly similar soundwise (some claim identical). Speakers vary significantly. It is worth searching online for measurements, assuming you want something fairly neutral. Some are heavily voiced, that’s not for me, but tastes differ.

Since you are buying amp and speakers, note that some shops do cracking deals. My amp and speakers cost £1,500, the separate price is usually £1,750 - £1,850. Have a listen in the shop, if you like it, take them home for a few days to demo. I found 7 Oaks (Guildford) excellent and BS free. I bought the amp first, a week later I asked if they’d still do the amp and speakers deal, they said yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragontattoo2020
Hi There,

For many years, I had been thinking of getting a decent Hi-Fi setup - and by decent I don't mean really high end audiophile grade stuff, but something that sounds better than my MacBook hooked up to my Bose QC 35II or AirPods or my Logitec external speakers - as you can see the bar isn't that high.

Having said that, I used to have a flatmate who was an avid enthusiast and had the classics from Nakamichi, NAD and Audio Technica, so I also have an idea of what high quality integrated (albeit dated) amplifiers and speakers can produce.

My requirements, apart from great sound would be longevity - I'd like to sink around 2500 but I expect not to change anything in the next decade or even more. The other requirement for me would be to be able to at least stream from my Apple devices wirelessly and in wired mode, e.g. DAC. In the future I may add a turntable but that's not an important requirement.

After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that for a mid sized living room, where the setup will be hosted, the perfect pairing for me would be:

AmpProsCons
Roksan Attessa
  • Blue OS
No USB DAC

All of the above paired with the Wharfdale Linton or Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2 Anniversary Edition.

I'm currently torn between the Roksan and Musical Fidelity. Heart says Musical Fidelity, head says Roksan. Help!
I would look at Marantz PM 7000N. Should tick most of your boxes and highly recommended by others with B&W speakers.

Please demo first.

Reactions: dragontattoo2020

matthewpianist

I've owned the Lintons, and the original 606, and I concur with @davidf that neither are a simple shoe-in. The Lintons are particularly difficult to get right, and I couldn't get them right in my listening space. I achieved a decent price when selling them on, but it was still a financial loss that you could avoid with thorough auditioning, both in a dealer's demonstration room and at home.

Once you've chosen the right speakers (and there's a huge choice out there), you can turn toward the amp. Amplifiers DO sound different, in part because of the way in which they interact with your chosen speakers, so again auditioning is essential. I currently have my Audiolab 6000A and a Rotel A11 Tribute and the Q Acoustics 3050i sound quite different with each. The Rotel sounds very upfront but can be slightly tiring over a long listening session, whilst the Audiolab lays the soundstage out with more subtlety and depth, and it also has a tighter grip on the speakers. Both are very good; my preference is the Audiolab, but you may prefer the Rotel (as an example).

Reactions: nopiano and Noddy

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
I recommend you at least audition in the shop the Kef LS50 Meta, they are very neutral and perform well beyond the price. Make sure you give speakers half an hour, your ears sometimes expect something different, especially if you have just listened to another brand/model in which case they may have adapted to the sound. They might not be to your taste of course and the looks are unusual.

Also bear in mind position from the wall can markedly change the sound, some speakers must be 50cm or more away, some are happy a mere 20cm away. And try a range of music. My previous speakers were great with classical, folk and jazz, but mediocre with rock and metal. Also female voice such as Joni Mitchell could sound odd. That is the danger with strongly voiced speakers.

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I have the Audiolab 6000A paired with 606's.

I also have a Roksan Kandy K2 (older) amp powering LS50's. I think you get a lot more with the Roksan / LS50 combo and don't see why newer versions of the amp / speakers also won't be compatible.

I would strongly suggest listening to Roksan / LS50 meta combo. As has been said already you can get streaming cheaply from a Wiim mini into an amp with a DAC. That would be my recommendation but only your ears can tell!

I have the Audiolab 6000A paired with 606's.

I also have a Roksan Kandy K2 (older) amp powering LS50's. I think you get a lot more with the Roksan / LS50 combo and don't see why newer versions of the amp / speakers also won't be compatible.

I would strongly suggest listening to Roksan / LS50 meta combo. As has been said already you can get streaming cheaply from a Wiim mini into an amp with a DAC. That would be my recommendation but only your ears can tell!
I'll second the K2. Very good amp, however it is purely analogue amp but there is a Bluetooth version.

matthewpianist

The Roksan amps are excellent, I had a K3 a couple of years ago and I'd say there's not much to choose between that and the Audiolab. Both are beautifully built, and both have a natural quality to their sound. Earlier versions of the Roksan are more boisterous sounding than either, so it comes down to the presentation you prefer.

Reactions: Noddy

Fandango Andy

Hi There,

AmpProsCons
Roksan Attessa
  • Blue OS
No USB DAC

This old post just popped up. Out of curiosity what did you buy in the end?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum mate!
There are a lot of options out there so don't limit your choice to two amps. Though it must be said the two you have in mind are excellent choices. I also concur with the other commentators, try audition your preferences before purchasing. Though it must be said, all my current HiFi was purchased online and no problems but I need to underline better to be risk-averse than to make an undesirable purchase.
I assume you're looking for integrated amp with a built in DAC, consider also, the Hegels, Primare and Atolls. I love my IN100SE's and granted I'm being bias.
Speakers are probably the most difficult choice, every one will tell you different.
Speakers reflect your demeanor and so, the music you play is the umbilical cord to your speaker. So go and audition, not unless you're familiar with the speakers signature and you want that kind of sound built around your system.

Oh I should have read Andys comments above. I'm responding to an old thread, I should really check the date before posting 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
While 2.5K is a very healthy budget to have, I would suggest to start slow.

Extremely minimum allocation for the digital sources - they are improving significantly with every passing year, adding more flexibility and SQ in the bargain.

I have a few friends who have tried the fosi and Aiyima amps and are very happy with the sound going into Falcon LS 3/5A's and Harbeth SHL5's. So you may want to give these a try for a start. And if you find improvements with a integrated amp from the more main stream brands like Audiolab etc.. then you can upgrade in the future.

The above approach should leave funds for where it really matters, the speakers. I recently got a pair of the KEF LS50 meta's for a desktop system, so have tried them in my main rig for a few weeks. And they are stonking speakers for the money, which serve all genres well. And they really scale with whatever comes behind them. The Kef R3 meta should be all round better speakers considering the additional bass driver which off-loads the Uni-Q array at 200 hz before distortions set in. At 1.9k the R3 Meta should be an excellent speaker that I'd urge you to audition.

And that should leave 600 GBP for the digital source and amp which is do able as suggested above.

P.S : Going ahead you can try getting digital sources and amps second hand and moving them on for not much damage if you dont like them. However, speakers have to work with the room and thus need a home trail before purchase. So I would suggest to allocate a bigger chunk of the funds to trying out speakers at home. And only then chasing the electronics. All the best :)

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
While 2.5K is a very healthy budget to have, I would suggest to start slow.

Extremely minimum allocation for the digital sources - they are improving significantly with every passing year, adding more flexibility and SQ in the bargain.

I have a few friends who have tried the fosi and Aiyima amps and are very happy with the sound going into Falcon LS 3/5A's and Harbeth SHL5's. So you may want to give these a try for a start. And if you find improvements with a integrated amp from the more main stream brands like Audiolab etc.. then you can upgrade in the future.

The above approach should leave funds for where it really matters, the speakers. I recently got a pair of the KEF LS50 meta's for a desktop system, so have tried them in my main rig for a few weeks. And they are stonking speakers for the money, which serve all genres well. And they really scale with whatever comes behind them. The Kef R3 meta should be all round better speakers considering the additional bass driver which off-loads the Uni-Q array at 200 hz before distortions set in. At 1.9k the R3 Meta should be an excellent speaker that I'd urge you to audition.

And that should leave 600 GBP for the digital source and amp which is do able as suggested above.

P.S : Going ahead you can try getting digital sources and amps second hand and moving them on for not much damage if you dont like them. However, speakers have to work with the room and thus need a home trail before purchase. So I would suggest to allocate a bigger chunk of the funds to trying out speakers at home. And only then chasing the electronics. All the best :)
Hello, newlash is back, the WAM must have closed down :)

TRENDING THREADS