Primare I30 with Dali Ikon 6?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a pair of Dali Ikon 6 speakers bi-wired with an Arcam Alpha 8 and 8P, playing with an Arcam CD73. I'm thinking about replacing the Alpha 8 and 8P amplifier with a Primare I30. With the Arcam I feel there is a little lack of base in the Dali's and from what I've heard on other speaker I really like the I30's clean sound. Does anyone know if the Ikon 6 are a good match with the I30 and if this would be a good upgrade. Other suggestions instead replacing the Arcam ampliers are welcome as well.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Upgrade = Yes!

but it still won't be what I would call "attention grabbing sound" the amp is very infomative though. Naim 5i with Ikon 6 would go toward bright but gain timing, Unison Research seconda or preludio should also work very well.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Dali's are great speakers but i agree that the Alpha 8 and 8P isnt giving them enough attention so to speak.

Have you considered looking further up the Arcam line and aiming for the Arcam FMJ A32 integrated? This could be, at the same time or in the future, be partnered with the P35 power amp and they would give the Dali's a good driving!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Dalis are not a bass-heavy speaker, it's all about the midrange.

I would listen to an i30 before doing this as I feel you will lose out on plenty by going from biamped to a single amp.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:

Upgrade = Yes!

but it still won't be what I would call "attention grabbing sound" the amp is very infomative though. Naim 5i with Ikon 6 would go toward bright but gain timing, Unison Research seconda or preludio should also work very well.

I would be careful with Cyrus/Naim and other leaner, brighter kit as the Dalis could err towards harshness if partnered incorrectly.

A

Anonymous

hi,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but alot of people are talking about the A32 Arcam. Is it that good an amp then?

Phil

A

Anonymous

Hey,

Thanks for all input. I also contacted a local hifi store. They also told me the Primare I30 could sound harsh. On top of that they told me I would probably need a better (read more expensive) set of speakers to get the maximum out of the I30. Probably in the price of about 1300 pounds per speaker. I don't have the budget right now for such an upgrade. The guy advised me to audition the Arcam A28 FMJ - the lighter version of the A32 I guess. Anobody read any good reviews about the A28?

A

Anonymous

Hey JohnDuncan,

Maybe I was not completeley clear. They told me I30 sounds very clean and quite bright. Since the Dali Ikon 6's are also about midrange and less about bass the combination could be a lack of bass and a very bright sound. They also told me the Arcam A28 FMJ sounds a lot 'softer' and warmer and that it therefore is a good combination with the Dali's.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

I would listen to an i30 before doing this as I feel you will lose out on plenty by going from biamped to a single amp.

Probably a sign of the times, but having moved from an Exposure 2010 pre/power driving B&W 603 s2's I've been very impressed with the Dali's bass range (using Naim Nait 5i s2 and Cd 5 s2) - though, yes the mid range is fantastic!

I haven't heard the Primare coupled with the Dali's, but your speakers have much more to give than the Arcam set-up you have currently can provide, and to be honest I don't thnk the A32 would necessarily bring the best out of them either.

What's your budget range? And what result are listening for?

A

Anonymous

Hey Tobester,

I have about a thousand pounds max to spend and I'm thinking about buying a second hand amplifier. That is why I was looking out for a Primare I30 (on ebay they go for about that price) and also because I heard some of Primare's amplifiers and I liked the clean sound. I'm not looking for a very heavy bass, otherwise I would probably have to look for another pair of speakers. But with the Arcam amplifiers I feel there is a lack of it. I mostly listen to alternative (rock) and indie. Bands like Editors, Radiohead, Beirut, Anthony and Johnsons, and Muse but also Lamb, Massive Attack and acoustic things like Jose Gonzales.

A

Anonymous

Do consider the Naim if you can (you could've guessed I would say that!), but also Marantz, Cyrus 8 and Exposure 3010 (or 2010s pre/power). Your listening taste is very similar to mine - but your ears will be different, so the key, as usual, is to listen to as many different amps as you can to achieve what you are looking for. And as you are prepared to go second-hand you can even more fun!

A

Anonymous

Interesting. I listened to the Primare I30 with the B&W 685s and found it too bright/harsh. A pair of PMC FB1i's sorted that out although it still was far from warm.

FOr a grand you could get a used Quad 99 pre and 909 power. Very neutral, powerful (140W), smooth and the midrange is bloody good. I reckon it would work well with the Dalis. The 99 pre also has the classic Quad 'Tilt' control, a tone control that gives you more control!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Tobester:JoelSim:

Probably a sign of the times, but having moved from an Exposure 2010 pre/power driving B&W 603 s2's I've been very impressed with the Dali's bass range (using Naim Nait 5i s2 and Cd 5 s2) - though, yes the mid range is fantastic!I haven't heard the Primare coupled with the Dali's, but your speakers have much more to give than the Arcam set-up you have currently can provide, and to be honest I don't thnk the A32 would necessarily bring the best out of them either.What's your budget range? And what result are listening for?

ÿ

I don't agree. An Arcam A32 with the Dalis would sound excellent, and with a P35 too would be sublime. Trust me on this one, Arcam and Dali are excellent partners.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts