Price hikes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Nah, we'd have dragged it down to the seventh level anyway...

A

Anonymous

you would think so?... don't forget we have italy and greece on board as well... ;-)

A

Anonymous

Gives us a few more months and we'll be back on pounds, shilling and pence.

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:The Daily Mail will be leading a 'bring back our Groats' campaign before you know it...

Apparently, that's this weekend's free DVD.

As for the secondhand market, that's where it's at right enough, some good used deals and I'm seeing dealer's prices undercutting the final selling price on (e.g.) Ebay and sometimes by a significant margin.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:My boss was kind of suggesting this afternoon that those bankers claiming they are entitled to bonuses may kind of have a point if they weren't included in the decision making processes which led to the their banks going into crises.

Errrrr no. if your company's in a mess then you can't expect to still get a nice big payout.

Damn straight! Last year I got my first bonus for 3 years of £400 (and I worked my guts out to get that, most people got nothing). Seriously doubt I'll get another one for another few years at least...

A

Anonymous

re - price hikes and relative appreciation of the yen against the remainder of the g8 basket - some of the Japanese multinationals rumoured here to be increasing prices surely had some fx hedge strategy in place to mitigate this? Id be shocked if their finance dept didnt swap it out or lay on some otm puts.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:

fast eddie:My boss was kind of suggesting this afternoon that those bankers claiming they are entitled to bonuses may kind of have a point if they weren't included in the decision making processes which led to the their banks going into crises. Errrrr no. if your company's in a mess then you can't expect to still get a nice big payout.

Damn straight! Last year I got my first bonus for 3 years of £400 (and I worked my guts out to get that, most people got nothing). Seriously doubt I'll get another one for another few years at least...

Unfortunately most of the banking bonuses are written into their contracts as guaranteed bonuses, plus those for the staff they don't want to lose to another bank. I personally think it's obscene but what can anyone do?

John Duncan

thfcwestlower:re - price hikes and relative appreciation of the yen against the remainder of the g8 basket - some of the Japanese multinationals rumoured here to be increasing prices surely had some fx hedge strategy in place to mitigate this? Id be shocked if their finance dept didnt swap it out or lay on some otm puts.

(whoosh)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:thfcwestlower:re - price hikes and relative appreciation of the yen against the remainder of the g8 basket - some of the Japanese multinationals rumoured here to be increasing prices surely had some fx hedge strategy in place to mitigate this? Id be shocked if their finance dept didnt swap it out or lay on some otm puts. (whoosh)

And from a Tottenham fan!

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:re - price hikes and relative appreciation of the yen against the remainder of the g8 basket - some of the Japanese multinationals rumoured here to be increasing prices surely had some fx hedge strategy in place to mitigate this? Id be shocked if their finance dept didnt swap it out or lay on some otm puts.

Its a dangerous game for any business to hide current/real gross margin behind cash valuation schemes- hiding the inevitable from the auditor and the shareholders has put paid to many a large and small company.Call it creative if you want but do not let the finance department run a company- (as so many of them try to/think they can)

Edit- except if its main business is ,err, finance

John Duncan

Ravey Gravey Davy:

Its a dangerous game for any business to hide current/real gross margin behind cash valuation schemes- hiding the inevitable from the auditor and the shareholders has put paid to many a large and small company.Call it creative if you want but do not let the finance department run a company- (as so many of them try to/think they can)

(I say again....)

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Ravey Gravey Davy:

(I say again....)

Oh come on JD -its no more complex than an AE or DAC - see - simple

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OTM Puts
emotion-18.gif

Andy Madden's into golf - I'll ask him...

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Ravey Gravey Davy:its no more complex than an AE

You callin' me simple, or wo' ?

1/ The sentence implies one of many AE's but only one suffering psychotic episodes would think it was referring to themself.

2/ For the above substitute - oops didn't spot that -
emotion-10.gif

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I don't thing that British branded goods will necessarily be cheaper. Many manufactures have moved production from the UK to China or elsewhere. Often it's designed in the UK manufactured in China.

For those companies that do still manufacture here in the UK unless their components are manufactured here in the UK, they will still have to pass some price increased to the customer. I'm not sure what brands still manufacture in the UK, naim, rega not sure who else?

As prices increases I believe we will see many manufactures introducing new products at lower price levels.

Credit Crunch and Exchange Rates aside I still however believe that there is a fundamental issue of Britain being viewed as "Treasure Island" by component manufactures, brand manufactures and dealers, who compared to other countries on a like for like basis charge a huge amount more to British customers.

One What Hifi issue, the recent price increases, once the dust settles, does mean that perhaps the buyers guide should be reviewed to reflect not only price increases of basic products but also the scouring the reflect different products in different price brackets.

This would not be an issue if all products increased in price equally, but assuming that imported and home made products at once equal price brackets, move dramatically away from each other, then surely this should be taken into account.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts