Pre Amp Output Voltage Matching

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have an Arcam FMJ A19 Amplifier which has pre amplifier outputs so I pressume I could use the amplifier as a pre amplifier now the output is quoted as 630 mv, is this fixed or does it vary. The Power amplifier that I am thinking of using has an input sensitivity of 1.42 volts so will the pre amp work ok with the power amp.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Coll said:
the output is quoted as 630 mv, is this fixed or does it vary.

If it's a true pre-amp out, then hopefully it does vary, otherwise your listening sessions are always going to be rather loud. Power-amps don't have their own volume controls as a rule.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The specifications as given do not really give enough information.

Assuming that the pre-amp gives out 630mv at full volume and the power amp requires 1.42volts in to give full ouput then in theory you do not have enough pre-amp output to drive the power amp to full volume.

In the real world it probably means that you have to turn the pre-amp volume up a bit further to get the volume you want. Given that most amps/pre-amps get far too loud, far to quickly, that may even be a good thing. Problems only arise if you can not get the volume level you want with the volume at or near maximum.

TRENDING THREADS