Power cable

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Is there anyone that believes that power cables make a difference to sound willing to undergo a blindfold test and determine whats connected?

Also loads of posts ago i asked for someone to recommed a power cable to me that i can buy and do my own test. Ive got nothing back????

I also asked what sort of change i can expect to the sound... also nothing back.

Why is this that no one is prepared to back themselves

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Is there anyone that believes that power cables make a difference to sound willing to undergo a blindfold test and determine whats connected?

Also loads of posts ago i asked for someone to recommed a power cable to me that i can buy and do my own test. Ive got nothing back????

I also asked what sort of change i can expect to the sound... also nothing back.

well, I believe I told you Andrew you need hi end components.

benchmark and atc are not hi end. these are studio components adopted for home use.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Andrew i did reply to you maybe you missed it.

Where would you suggest has good enough conditions to hold a blind test of meaning?

Edit how can you change a whole system over from one set of cables to another fast enough. Not easy that one

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
ellisdj said:
His biography is on the web page which highlights his military career but no mention of working in the hifi industry besides the collaboration between vertex and actuity products which is what is mentioned in the video/ white paper

Mmmm what have I missed here?

Is tuturtle his father's mistress' son and his lost step-brother? And who paid for alimony and college?

Wtf???

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
His biography is on the web page which highlights his military career but no mention of working in the hifi industry besides the collaboration between vertex and actuity products which is what is mentioned in the video/ white paper

Is tuturtle his father's mistress' son and his lost step-brother? And who paid for alimony and college?

EDIT: OK. He probably didn't need to pay for college.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Vladimir said:
ellisdj said:

Is tuturtle his father's mistress' son and his lost step-brother? And who paid for alimony and college?

Wtf???

Calling Shadders for assistance.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Andrewjvt said:

Andrew i did reply to you maybe you missed it.

Where would you suggest has good enough conditions to hold a blind test of meaning?

Edit how can you change a whole system over from one set of cables to another fast enough. Not easy that one

At mine
All i have is a dac and 2 speakers.
Thats 2 cabes and 3 chords

Easy done

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

I did Andrew loads of posts ago

I felt there was a slight change in sound but really need to buy theses cables myself on a 60 day trial and have a bit more time with them to find out for sure .

i felt the cheapest option was the better option for me in clear audio power cable and mains block as when we put on the expensive power cables on I felt it made the sound a little bit quieter and my amp lacked its usual excitement .

the cheapest clear audio power cable and its matching power block sounded like it had lowered the noise floor its hard to explain but I think it's worth ordering some and try for a week or 2 to make sure .

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrew..

once my new listening room is sorted and all components in place you're welcome to compare power cords, powers conditioners etc

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:

benchmark and atc are not hi end. these are studio components adopted for home use.

Over a certain price point.

Thats why us people cant hear differences we need to spend more money on amps/speakers first then the cables will work.

I would have thought the posh cables would help thw low end the most as they are cheaply made and could get the most improvement.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

I did Andrew loads of posts ago 

I felt there was a slight change in sound but really need to buy theses cables myself on a 60 day trial and have a bit more time with them to find out for sure .

i felt the cheapest option was the better option for me in clear audio power cable and mains block as when we put on the expensive power cables on I felt it made the sound a little bit quieter and my amp lacked its usual excitement .

the cheapest clear audio power cable and its matching power block sounded like it had lowered the noise floor its hard to explain but I think it's worth ordering some and try for a week or 2 to make sure  .

Very easy to confuse excitement with accuracy. I did the exact same thing and was shocked to realise I was used to bad sound and good sound sounded lacking.

Was a real shock to me

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:

Over a certain price point.

Thats why us people cant hear differences we need to spend more money on amps/speakers first then the cables will work.

I would have thought the posh cables would help thw low end the most as they are cheaply made and could get the most improvement.
they used to say that anything that costs £2000 was high end but this day and age your probably looking at £10.000 to be classed as high end

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
ellisdj said:
Raihdo i am sure do that just for shits and giggles

I'm on your side with this but Lars Kristensen, the man behind Raihdo, was for many years the international face of Nordost. Not a good example given the two company's obvious relationship... *unknw*

Quit spreading such conspiracies. *secret*

At least I didn't suggest he was servicing a divorce...
Hi,

*biggrin*

Whether he is or is not - the fact that they charge more for extra lengths of speaker cable should raise alarm bells.

I don't know anyone foolish enough to pay more, pro rata, for more you buy. Only examples would be gemstones - where the bigger, the more you pay. Speaker cables - more you buy, the less you pay per metre. Unless you are stooooooopid.

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Looking at the other Studio Connections Black Star products advertised on the Renaissance Audio website they all cost less pro rata for additional length. This leads me to believe that the Black Star speaker cable price must be a typo. Given that this is a distributor site, not a vendor site, I would suggest this is an entirely plausible explanation.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
Andrew..

once my new listening room is sorted and all components in place you're welcome to compare power cords, powers conditioners etc

If your buying at the level it appears I would very much be interested in a demo.

If your considering buying cables check out xlo. I would advise arranging an xlo demo as well. Not easy at all but worth it.
Let me know if you do?

You can come demo my system for it if you wish. Not the same but it will give you an idea.

I am not batting at your level but you might get some ideas. I dont piss about :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
I think hi end starts around £18k for component.

1ncv4r.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
ellisdj said:
Raihdo i am sure do that just for shits and giggles

I'm on your side with this but Lars Kristensen, the man behind Raihdo, was for many years the international face of Nordost. Not a good example given the two company's obvious relationship... *unknw*

Quit spreading such conspiracies. *secret*

At least I didn't suggest he was servicing a divorce...
Hi,

*biggrin*

Whether he is or is not - the fact that they charge more for extra lengths of speaker cable should raise alarm bells.

I don't know anyone foolish enough to pay more, pro rata, for more you buy. Only examples would be gemstones - where the bigger, the more you pay. Speaker cables - more you buy, the less you pay per metre. Unless you are stooooooopid.

Regards,

Shadders. 

Hi,

Looking at the other Studio Connections Black Star products advertised on the Renaissance Audio website they all cost less pro rata for additional length. This leads me to believe that the Black Star speaker cable price must be a typo. Given that this is a distributor site, not a vendor site, I would suggest this is an entirely plausible explanation.

Gazzip when you coming for a demo dude.
Music aside I have got the UHD aspect of the side of my system looking stella considering its not technically compatible. Music not too sad either considering how the system is multi function

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
no problem

it will take time as we're going to built extension ( new listening room, 6 x 4 meters) and auditioning just begun.. I need to start separate thread with ideas and progress.

shadders

Vladimir said:
ellisdj said:
Vladimir said:
ellisdj said:

Wtf???

Calling Shadders for assistance.
Hi,

Assistance for the video or the unusual family associations. The vdieo - a good way to clean CD's, for the family liaisons - who knows - you'd have to be there i suppose.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
no problem

it will take time as we're going to built extension ( new listening room, 6 x 4 meters) and auditioning just begun.. I need to start separate thread with ideas and progress. 

That's a very similar sized room to mine funny enough.
Have you considered acoustic treatment strategy??

That's one thing I can demo you. I can demo Dirac and a serious home cinema coupled to a performing music system - very proud of it considering what I have heard elsewhere

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I want this room to be as good acoustically as I can make it.. I was going to contact GIK or others to help me design it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
I want this room to be as good acoustically as I can make it.. I was going to contact GIK or others to help me design it. 

Very good idea - many different ways of doing the same thing depending on what sound you want to achieve.

Quality boxes count for nothing if the room has bad acoustics and all rooms do.

I am no expert but do have some good experience in this regard so could help you out.

Where in the world do you live??

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Treck to / from essex but doable. I can bring Gazzip to yours when the time comes but if you want to come here let me know.

If your spending big bucks hifi lounge in luton now sell wilson audio. Have you arranged a demo for wilson audio - its a must surely

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts