Power cable

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
58 minutes have not passed since i posted the video link so none of you have watched it all yet strong in opinion without even watching the full video.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Lead engineer at furman for 16 years and a professional jazz musician.

Obviously you know more than him Andrew

Indeed he does. The guy in the video is either a con man or clueless. In any case it's been settled, they make no difference, the laws of physics and engineering common sense remain intact.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
58 minutes have not passed since i posted the video link so none of you have watched it all yet strong in opinion without even watching the full video.

It was drivel from the beginning. The guy is a salesman that is willing to lie to make a sale.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:

We gave it a good bashing when it was fresh back in 2015.

Funny how same marketing materials objectivists use to prove their point that subjectivists are delusional, subjectivists use to prove they aren't.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:

It was drivel from the beginning. The guy is a salesman that is willing to lie to make a sale.
There you go not even willing to listen to someone whos career and experience dwarfs yours in this area inevery regard its laughable. You dont believe he is an engineer because he has a personality and is charasmatic. Think about it for a minute.

And you have not got to the bit in the video where he proves what he has built works.
You won't want to see that bit though will you. Course not.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What are you on about Vlad.
Shadders brought this video up and asked for the link
No mention of the discovery of a new type of noise that I have seen in it. Not got to end yet but I am sure on this. That would have stuck with me.

Just waiting for the post from him where he admits he was wrong.

I bet he will find an angle or spin to dodge it, usually does

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine I am the only one who bothers to post on here who has actually designed something that has ended up in a recording studio. Unless the rules of physics have changed since I did this stuff for a living:

1. Mains cables have to be properly specified, they are a safety critical item. Current carrying capability, insulation breakdown voltage, flexibility, abrasion resistance, flame retardant and so on. With properly designed audio equipment, changing one properly specified mains cable for another properly specified mains cable will not make an audible difference.

2. Speaker cables form part of a circuit that includes the amplifier output stage, the speaker and the cable itself. Amplifier output stages are an active source and have very low impedance, speakers also have very low impedance. This circuit is sensitive to the resistance of the speaker cable. Long thin cables will sound different to short fat cables.

So in a nutshell, some cables matter, some don't. Speaker cables need to be as thick as is reasonable. Any mains cable that is safe in its use will be the same as any other mains cable - how could it be any different?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:

There you go not even willing to listen to someone whos career and experience dwarfs yours in this area inevery regard its laughable. You dont believe he is an engineer because he has a personality and is charasmatic. Think about it for a minute.

And you have not got to the bit in the video where he proves what he has built works. You won't want to see that bit though will you. Course not.

Stick to talking about acoustics. You understand that. This you have no clue about. What part of 'it is not possible' do you not understand?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45iWxNqbM9I

I thought this link was going to be a video made by you the lead engineer of another market leading ac power distribution company - similar in credibility to Garth Powell - head engineer for the market leader in touring power management systems and many other market sectors.

Nope it was just a typical trevc bitter response trying to be clever but failing. Pitiful

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:

Edit its hyperbole yet he proves everything he says in his demos that are recoreded and you can hear it on the recording hmmm obviously all hyperbole. 2 patents awarded for the work hmmmm hyperbole.

You know more than the 3 professionals i have spoken and confirmed its all money making false claims.

You can take a marketing video as proof.

Only a blind test swapping cables and you successfully picking the correct cable change would prove Anything

As far as i know no one has ever been able??

Please no more excitable adverts as proof.

Now im busy swapping cables for chris martin so be can hear the drums in his room.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:
I would imagine I am the only one who bothers to post on here who has actually designed something that has ended up in a recording studio. Unless the rules of physics have changed since I did this stuff for a living:

1. Mains cables have to be properly specified, they are a safety critical item.  Current carrying capability, insulation breakdown voltage, flexibility, abrasion resistance, flame retardant and so on.  With properly designed audio equipment, changing one properly specified mains cable for another properly specified mains cable will not make an audible difference.

2. Speaker cables form part of a circuit that includes the amplifier output stage, the speaker and the cable itself.  Amplifier output stages are an active source and have very low impedance, speakers also have very low impedance.  This circuit is sensitive to the resistance of the speaker cable.  Long thin cables will sound different to short fat cables.

So in a nutshell, some cables matter, some don't.  Speaker cables need to be as thick as is reasonable. Any mains cable that is safe in its use will be the same as any other mains cable - how could it be any different?
Watch the video that guy has designed many products for studios touring etc. So his viewpoint is just as valid.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

Edit its hyperbole yet he proves everything he says in his demos that are recoreded and you can hear it on the recording hmmm obviously all hyperbole. 2 patents awarded for the work hmmmm hyperbole.

You know more than the 3 professionals i have spoken and confirmed its all money making false claims.

You can take a marketing video as proof.

Only a blind test swapping cables and you successfully picking the correct cable change would prove Anything

As far as i know no one has ever been able??

Please no more excitable adverts as proof.

Now im busy swapping cables for chris martin so be can hear the drums in his room.

Andrew thats no marketing video its a demo at the Munich show 2015. Thats a live shot video surely you can tell the difference.

It wasnt uploaded by audioquest either. Looks like it was shot on a phone as well maybe with a gimble

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day it's how we perceive each upgrade and what are hear and if it's better for us then great and if it's bad then ******.we hear amps differently and other components.its about you and no one else.what hifi give 5* to tannoys and i can't stand them but that's what i hear.i know one thing I'm enjoying this hobby alot and i can't wait to hear something new or something IV never heard before

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:

I thought this link was going to be a video made by you the lead engineer of another market leading ac power distribution company - similar in credibility to Garth Powell - head engineer for the market leader in touring power management systems and many other market sectors.

Nope it was just a typical trevc bitter response trying to be clever but failing. Pitiful

The arguments used are very similar, an attempt to deceive by obfuscation. The problem is that we are stuck with the fact that a mains cable only carries the mains. If it can do that successfully its job is done. A fancy mains cable can't do it any better.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:

The arguments used are very similar, an attempt to deceive by obfuscation. The problem is that we are stuck with the fact that a mains cable only carries the mains. If it can do that successfully its job is done. A fancy mains cable can't do it any better. 
Well considering the video is about a power conditioner proves you didnt watch it and just spouted the usual...

Back to why I linked to the video it is for shadders to watch and see they dont claim to have discovered a new form of noise.

Then he can admit he was wrong for the first time in his life.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
What are you on about Vlad. Shadders brought this video up and asked for the link No mention of the discovery of a new type of noise that I have seen in it. Not got to end yet but I am sure on this. That would have stuck with me.

His sleight of hand trick with grounding the tuner antenna was a big yawn. Try using a turntable (the weakest signal in the hifi chain) without reference to ground and see how that goes.

And yes Andrew, he mentions they are using military and space technology capacitors in Audioquest products. *biggrin*

John Dunlavy spent decades designing antennas for the US military before starting his speaker company. He publicly shat on audiophile cable companies and their clients.

shadders

ellisdj said:
What are you on about Vlad. Shadders brought this video up and asked for the link No mention of the discovery of a new type of noise that I have seen in it. Not got to end yet but I am sure on this. That would have stuck with me.

Hi,

This is not the video - the one i am referring to was in a hotel and the power failed so they could not demonstrate their new found scientific fact, that there has not been a paper published about.

Re : "Just waiting for the post from him where he admits he was wrong."

If you can stick to facts, or supposition - and claim it is supposition when you state it - as i do with regards to the circumstantial aspect i stated many posts ago.

If someone does not agree with you - it is not spin - it is just that someone does not agree with you.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

shadders

ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:

Well considering the video is about a power conditioner proves you didnt watch it and just spouted the usual...

Back to why I linked to the video it is for shadders to watch and see they dont claim to have discovered a new form of noise.

Hi,

As above - this is not the video.

Try to refrain from personal remarks. Thanks.

Regards,

Shadders.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:

Nothing on the mains including conditioners will make any difference to performance. The point stands.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

In the video you mention its called a new way of measuring nothing to do with discovering a new form of noise.

You want that one linked as well so you can admit to being wrong. Give me am hour its bath and bedtime for the dustbin lids

shadders

ellisdj said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

In the video you mention its called a new way of measuring nothing to do with discovering a new form of noise.

You want that one linked as well so you can admit to being wrong. Give me am hour its bath and bedtime for the dustbin lids
Hi,

No problem - i will know immediately if it is the right one.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

shadders

Vladimir said:
RMAF09: New Approach to Audio Measurement
HI Vladimir,

Yes - this is it. A new distortion mechanism - distortion == noise.

What utter rot he is talking. There has been NO new paper or scieintific study on this new distortion mechanism.

There is no benefits to the music, attributed to the mains cable he is proceeding to explain - as there was a hotel power outage, the demonstration could not proceed. And since 2009 - no scientific paper, which is peer reviewed also. This is a sham

Thank you for providing the link.

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts