power amp upgrade

hoojtune73

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
hello there

looking for some help on the subject of upgrading my 2 rotel rb971 power amps

could it be worth spending over a grand on something like a densen or more powerful rotel and reaping any benifits without changing the rc 850 pre amp?

got a great sound now really but cant help sounding like the 15 year old amps are running out of puff a bit when the going gets a bit louder and rockier!

does a power amp actually influence the sound that much or does it just do what the pre tells it to?

thanks in advance for any help

matt

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
The Musical Fidelity M6PRX power amp is a real power house 260W per channel .it will dig up bags of realy deep bass you will here things when listening that you havent noticed before I would go listen . enjoy your journey :grin:

newtohifijkt

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
i had the following experience when i was buying my pmc speakers.

we tested it with the following amp configurations:

1. Rotel integrated RA 06

2. Rotel separate pre-power combo 15 series (forgot the exact model)

3. Rotel integrated RA 06 as pre-amp, connected to Rotel power amp (same in no 2 above).

The result of (1) vs (2) was crystal clear. There was absolutely a different sonic quality. The separate system is in different league. (and so did the price, which is 4x of the integrated)

But when we tested (3), I hope that the sound wil be somewhat in between. Nope. The sound was even closer / similar to (1). Even if there was sound difference between (1) and (3), i think it was little anyway that I didn't feel immediate difference.

Even the slam of the bass in (3) was similar to (1), which is a much downgrade from (2). Although I was testing it with the same 200 wattts power amp in configuration (2).......clearly the pre-amp also controls how good the bass sound is

be careful then. you may not get meaningful sound upgrade by just changing the power amp.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the room after speakers I think the pre-amp section has the next biggest influence on the sound assuming the amp is capable of driving the speakers. Considering many budget integrated amps have a poor pre stage when I upgraded my Alpha 8 (integrated) with a Quad 909 (power) and didn’t have a proper pre in some respects the sound took a backwards step as I was using a DAC with cheap variable volume pot as a pre. When I later added a proper pre (in my case one with a tube stage) it trounced my previous set-up.

Without a good pre the sound is in danger of feeling flat and lacking dynamics, once I the pre was in place bass was much improved, the sound had depth and just sounded more lifelike and enjoyable. My toes started tapping again.

hoojtune73

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
ah cool thanks for that,maybe finding a dealer that will let me try my rotel pre against a more upmarket model would be a start

im with you on the cheap pot thing bluedroog,i tried my diy alps blue 20k pot in line a few times and although the sound is crystal clear it lacks something that an active gives (prob dynamics or something!)

anyway theese issues only started scince living in a detatched gaff and asking more of my budget gear :doh:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts