Power amplifiers

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi all as you might remember I bought my first grownup amplifier in the Rotel ra02. I've purchased a pair of arcam alpha power p8 power amps,the question I have is how do I run the two power amps with my Rotel? I have a pre out on my Rotel and on the arcams I have pre in and momo? If I succeed in sorting this out would each power amp power one speaker? Very confusing and hoping my audiophile family can help. Tia Ian

Brave man, buying something you don’t know how to connect!

Yes, as you surmise, each amp is mono, and for one speaker. You’ll need phono to phono cables, but not the ‘shotgun’ ones. You need separate ones - one for Left, the other for Right.

Most folk pop the amps near the speakers, hence a metre or so for speaker cables. But you can stand the amps next to each other and use your existing cables.

Oh, and turn the speakers to Off on the Rotel.

Does that help?

Reactions: Al ears and ianb

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Brave man, buying something you don’t know how to connect!

Yes, as you surmise, each amp is mono, and for one speaker. You’ll need phono to phono cables, but not the ‘shotgun’ ones. You need separate ones - one for Left, the other for Right.

Most folk pop the amps near the speakers, hence a metre or so for speaker cables. But you can stand the amps next to each other and use your existing cables.

Does that help?
Not so much bought but used to pay off a debt!
So I use a left from my rotel pre out to one power amp and a right to the other? Do they go in the corresponding pre in or the mono in on the arcam power amp? Sorry to be a bit dumb and stupid but this level of tech is all new to me.

Reactions: nopiano

Gray

They are but there's a mona pair of terminals on the back next to the pre in
Yes, you use the supplied link to pair the 2 sockets.

I realise I'm being a bit optimistic here Ian :).....have you got a user manual?
It will tell you what you need to do...if it can be used in bridged mono mode (which seems likely).

How many terminals have each of your speakers got?
(In other words are they bi-ampable?)

Reactions: ianb

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site

I realise I'm being a bit optimistic here Ian :).....have you got a user manual?
It will tell you what you need to do...if it can be used in bridged mono mode (which seems likely).

My speakers are just a pair of terminals,so the lead from my amp would it go from left out (pre out terminals) to the mono in or the pre in on the power amp? There's also a link connection which has a connector in it do I remove that?. I'm so sorry for stupid questions but I'm totally out my depth and very new to this level of audio (did you guess??!)) I took these power amps as a part payment from a so called mate and I'm left dazed and totally confused,sorry Everyone for my annoying questions.

Not so much bought but used to pay off a debt!
So I use a left from my rotel pre out to one power amp and a right to the other? Do they go in the corresponding pre in or the mono in on the arcam power amp? Sorry to be a bit dumb and stupid but this level of tech is all new to me.
Gray is right. They’re stereo. So you’ve got two stereo power amps, not monoblocks!

I‘m a bit unsure now. The ‘mono link’ looks like a proprietary thing. I think I’d use left power in on one and right power in on the other. The only doubt I’d have with that is you then have an ‘open’ input with no speakers connected on both amps. Not ideal.

On second thoughts, just use one Arcam to begin with. Then treat it as a stereo amp.

Frankly, I’d not bother at all and try to sell them, but no harm in playing around - casrefully - if you have time. No guarantee they’ll sound much better, and the big advantage of an integrated amp is mistakes are harder to make.

The Hifi Engine link to the manual was above. It’s not the most obvious I’ve ever read. I betcha there’s no links! :oops:

Reactions: Gray

Gray

The Hifi Engine link to the manual was above. It’s not the most obvious I’ve ever read. I betcha there’s no links! :oops:
Did the manual mention whether it can be bridged to mono? (which would explain the mono input link)....and if it can, does it connect across its L & R speaker positive terminals?

Sorry but I'm unable to read the manual.
Was just thinking that as Ian's got two P8s, he might as well use both in bridged mono if he can. Though. as you say, he's unlikely to gain much - no harm (hopefully) in experimenting (y)

Gray

Both working fine I tested using pre out on the Rotel to the pre ins on both arcams
A logical first test then is to compare the Rotel, as a straight integrated amp, with the Rotel as a preamp to one P8 power amp - into your speakers.

(Rotel pre-out to Arcam pre-in with nothing (no plugs, no link) in the 'mono' sockets.
So you'll be using one P8 as a stereo power amp (which is why you don't want its input paired to mono)

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano
My speakers are just a pair of terminals,so the lead from my amp would it go from left out (pre out terminals) to the mono in or the pre in on the power amp? There's also a link connection which has a connector in it do I remove that?. I'm so sorry for stupid questions but I'm totally out my depth and very new to this level of audio (did you guess??!)) I took these power amps as a part payment from a so called mate and I'm left dazed and totally confused,sorry Everyone for my annoying questions.
If you look yoy should be able to download a manual but this will probably assume you.are attaching them to an Arcam preamplifier, which is the ideal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts