Poll: Please vote and add comments

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Which of the following systems do you think would sound best in a small room (3m x 2.8m) and why?

Mac Mini> Chord Qutest> Arcam A39 >KEF R500

KEF LS50 Wireless + KEF R400b Subwoofer

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I would go with option two any day ( LS50 wireless + sub )

The R500's will need a lot of room around them to perform well. That said the LS50's also need decent room, but will be less than the R500.

The above said, the biggest problem with speakers in a small room is bass. But with a sub woofer doing the duties below 80hz, you have the option of experimenting with the location of the sub for best bass performance without bass boom.

You could add a wireless subwoofer kit, and it will give you more flexibility with sub woofer placement, as long as a power point is at hand.

And for me at least bass is important. I would always use a subwoofer for bass for music any day, as compared to just 2 speakers.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Wow. Very surprised that the bass isn't over powering.

I do believe as well as they may work something smaller will in fact sound better. But sound quality is a very individual thing.

I'm sure others better in the know will advise better than I

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
inbox4 said:
R500s work really well in this room.

The room has needed some accoustic treatment to accomodate them but is great now.
In that case, I'd probably go with the first system, as subtly integrating a Sub can be problematical....but it has to be your preference.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I think I may have mislead responses by mentioning the room size.

I currently have R500s in this room without an issue. They sound wonderful and I rate them highly. If they work then the significantly smaller LS50w certainly would too.

I am having problems with my Mac Mini and wondered how the LS50w would compare if I were to sell the whole system. I think the LS50w would need a sub to keep up with the R500s though.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I have been very interested in DIRAC Live but haven't got around to trying it yet.

I enjoyed your set up tutorial and hoped you'd produce another explaining the curve and the best way to manipulate it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
inbox4 said:
I think I may have mislead responses by mentioning the room size.

I currently have R500s in this room without an issue. They sound wonderful and I rate them highly. If they work then the significantly smaller LS50w certainly would too.

I am having problems with my Mac Mini and wondered how the LS50w would compare if I were to sell the whole system. I think the LS50w would need a sub to keep up with the R500s though.

Why upset a good synergy. You could always replace your macmini with another one, or go for a streamer with inbuilt DAC instead.

But if you are interested in Dirac live, then another Mac mini might be an option. But I've read that headless macmini's are a pain to handle

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Headless Macs are a pain and wth the new problems with screen sharing I'm experiencing, I've had enough of mine.
The LS50 gets universally outstanding reviews (app excepted) and I've been wondering whether it would be an all together simpler solution - with exceptional performance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
inbox4 said:
The LS50 gets universally outstanding reviews (app excepted) and I've been wondering whether it would be an all together simpler solution - with exceptional performance.
I agree.

Are you sure you would need a Sub? The LS50s have surprising scale, if placed on decent, filled stands....especially in a small room.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
inbox4 said:
Headless Macs are a pain and wth the new problems with screen sharing I'm experiencing, I've had enough of mine.The LS50 gets universally outstanding reviews (app excepted) and I've been wondering whether it would be an all together simpler solution - with exceptional performance.

I was considering a Mac mini as a roon core, when my friends warned me against running it headless. And considering my computer skills, I felt best to leave it alone :)

CnoEvil said:
inbox4 said:
I agree.

Are you sure you would need a Sub? The LS50s have surprising scale, if placed on decent, filled stands....especially in a small room.
Exactly what I was thinking. I’d try the LS50s and pass on the sub.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It could be a good time to move over to a dedicated Windows pc build for your computer source if you have lost love for the Mac mini.

it makes for a frustrating but interesting project.

at the same time demo some LS50W and see what you think.
I don't think I would want to go from what you have to them. You can build on what you have far easier going forward.

The curve side of dirac I can help you with if you go that route

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
The AVI DM12? They are said to have more bass than the DM10s and they were pretty good. I believe Danniels TV and Domestic do a good deal on them.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
inbox4 said:
Thanks for the suggestion but the AVI speakers wouldn't allow me to replace my Mac Mini as a source like the LS50w would. That is my aim.

I stream to my AVIs by plugging a CCA into the optical port of the AVIs and stream Spotify from my iPad or phone. It works pretty good.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi David,

How easy do the LS50s make it to play music on my network?

Would they be able to see music stored on a hard drive connected to an Airport Extreme router? If not, how would I get my music playing over wi-fi without connecting a computer to the USB input?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts