PMC DB1i to ATC SCM 11?

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I love the sound and detail of my PMC speakers, but sometimes feel they're a bit too small for my room . Sometimes I replace them with my B&W 685s and think it fills the room better and sounds 'fine', but after a couple of days I always end up deciding I miss the detail and general tone of the PMCs.

I thought I'd try a pair of SCM 11s. I can't see how an audition is going to happen, so would value any comments and opinions about this. My amp's a Marantz Pearl-Lite PM7004.

whiskywheels said:
I love the sound and detail of my PMC speakers, but sometimes feel they're a bit too small for my room . Sometimes I replace them with my B&W 685s and think it fills the room better and sounds 'fine', but after a couple of days I always end up deciding I miss the detail and general tone of the PMCs.

I thought I'd try a pair of SCM 11s. I can't see how an audition is going to happen, so would value any comments and opinions about this. My amp's a Marantz Pearl-Lite PM7004.

I would suggest if you are going to switch brands like this then you really need to audition the ATC's. Whilst your amplifier might be able to handle the slightly less efficient SCM's but you appear to like the PMC sound then surely your upgrade path should be a larger PMC pairing, perhaps the Twenty.21 or a second-hand pair of Twenty.22's.

Just what size is your room if you feel the 685's work well in it?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
whiskywheels said:

As Al ears says if you like the PMC sound why not climb the PMC ladder a little, room size permitting?

ATC SCM 11 speakers are fantastic but be aware the sound signature is quite different from that of the PMC's. In general PMC's sound is much fuller and their speakers do sound/feel like they go deeper than ATC's due to their transmission line design.

I have owned both of these models, but have never done a side-by-side comparison. In reality there is not much in frequency terms between the DB1i and the SCM 11 but I suspect that the PMC's will just feel weightier in the bass. The SCM 11's may actually be a step backwards for you in this regard. The ATC's do however possess an air and transparency that similarly priced PMC's do not.

It's a toughie! As always you really have to listen to them in your system. I love them both, but for very different reasons!

whiskywheels said:

Yup TB2is are the way to go if you like the PMC sound. EDIT link.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Electro said:

Agree the TB2I's might be a no brainer but no idea where the OP lives and those linked to ebay are for collection in person in Kent.

Very true and I have no idea where the OP is located , I added the ebay link mainly as an example of what is available.

Hopefully whiskywheels will be able to source a pair near to where he lives . *smile*

I can understand the better amp bit, however, you are still burdened with a tiny speaker, which will have its own limitations due to cabinet size. Whereas the TB2is are bigger and better in every sense over the lovely DB1s. And they are easier to drive than the DB1 and ATCs

plastic penguin said:
I can understand the better amp bit, however, you are still burdened with a tiny speaker, which will have its own limitations due to cabinet size. Whereas the TB2is are bigger and better in every sense over the lovely DB1s. And they are easier to drive than the DB1 and ATCs

Thus negating the need for a more powerful amp. I believe their suggestion was spot on. If the OP can source a pair for a good price for a pair then all well and good. It's the first step I would take.

Whilst more powerful amps will assist somewhat they still aren't going to make the DB1i's sound like a floorstander or even a large standmount.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The Mad One said:
Oh ok then i'll mention the A-word.

DM5's beats the sh-t sorry hell out of any of those speakers/Amps.

Groovy.

Jesus... When does guerrilla marketing actually start to damage a brand? Must be soon... *stop*

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Thus negating the need for a more powerful amp. I believe their suggestion was spot on. If the OP can source a pair for a good price for a pair then all well and good. It's the first step I would take.

Whilst more powerful amps will assist somewhat they still aren't going to make the DB1i's sound like a floorstander or even a large standmount.

But the OP was refering to the DB1is and B&W 685s. The B&Ws might fill a room a little better than the DB1i, but a more powerful amp won't be the be all...

Going on the OP's opening gambit, the TB2 should more than suffice. Even better would be the GB1is: They're shallower than the TB2s, and they'll give better extension to the bass.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Actually, I was just thinking of Active...

As the conversation was going between amp and speaker replacement, it might be worth considering, unless a phased upgrade is preferred (which it might well be)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I am something of a 'fan' of the big amplifier, small speaker setup.

I am talking generically here, I have no experience of the specific models in question, but I am often very taken with this sort of combination.

Of course it depends a lot on space and what you can accomodate, clearly a better, more potent speaker will make life a lot easier for the amplifier but that only works if they can be accomodated and suit the room.

The Mad One said:
Oh ok then i'll mention the A-word.

DM5's beats the sh-t sorry hell out of any of those speakers/Amps.

Groovy.

You only frequent this forum as and when you want to bang on about your latest toy!

If you have something worthwhile to contribute, we'll all be more appreciative.

As it stands you are nothing better than a troll (or a rep for the aforementioned active company).

davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:

I am talking generically here, I have no experience of the specific models in question, but I am often very taken with this sort of combination.

Of course it depends a lot on space and what you can accomodate, clearly a better, more potent speaker will make life a lot easier for the amplifier but that only works if they can be accomodated and suit the room.

I know.

Although I'm not a bass preacher I do enjoy plausible scale. having heard the DB1is on a number of occasions - when I had my RS6s - the bass was very good for the size - punched way beyond their bijou dimensions. So when the TB2is came up for sale, even though I hadn't experienced the bigger siblings, it just seemed a logical step: Should have the tonal qualities of the DBs with a little extra oomph. It was a gamble that paid off, but not to the detriment of the overall ambience.

With the 6.5" bass/midrange driver (bigger than the average modern standmount), the load is easy and effortless.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:

Another vote for TB2i.

My amp was a little gutless for the DB1i, and they did like being on the end of a beefy L-507uX or Accuphase E-360, but the bass always carries that proviso, for its size. In fact it was even a bit soft and wimpy on the end of an Accuphase E-260. The Luxman L-505u and uX also did a good job of grabbing the speakers by the balls and giving the bass some proper authority.

The TB2i keeps the same tone and detail, while providing greater scale and more effortless bass.

In the end I traded everything in for actives and haven't looked back though :p

In addition to the desire for more and better bass, I actually started to find the slight lift in the presence region a bit annoying with the DB1i after living with them for a while, so even though I could have gotten more bass from a beefier amp, I decided to move on to other speakers.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:

I know.

Although I'm not a bass preacher I do enjoy plausible scale. having heard the DB1is on a number of occasions - when I had my RS6s - the bass was very good for the size - punched way beyond their bijou dimensions. So when the TB2is came up for sale, even though I hadn't experienced the bigger siblings, it just seemed a logical step: Should have the tonal qualities of the DBs with a little extra oomph. It was a gamble that paid off, but not to the detriment of the overall ambience.

With the 6.5" bass/midrange driver (bigger than the average modern standmount), the load is easy and effortless.

Several moons ago I put a pair of Q Acoustic 2020i's on the end of my Bryston 28BSST2's. Wow, how good did they sound. I posted my surprise on here I recall.

TRENDING THREADS