Please help protect my neighbours

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I've just managed to get some Roksan Caspian FR5 floorstanders for my system, very nice.

A simple question though - My existing bookshelf speakers are two way designs in smaller cabinets. Wheras the Roksans are three way with a bigger ported cabinet and they sound more forceful - Am i right in thinking that for any given VOLUME level, the sound from the floorstanders will have more ENERGY / POWER ie will go through my terraced house walls more easily ?

Thanks

insider9

Nice speakers. They may excite the room more by going lower. And it's more likely this will travel through structure. Higher frequencies will just bounce around.

As to them sounding more forceful, it isn't so much the fact they're floorstanders. It's the fact they're Roksan floorstanders :)

With more scale they're likely to upset neighbours easier. You could isolate them from the floor which would make a difference. But it will make them sound different also. Worth trying both imo.

D

Deleted member 160668

I use granite plinths (chopping boards) under my floorstanders. Onto these I superglued spike shoes and then have the speaker spikes resting in these. Next to zero bass carry to the floor. Mine is also a suspended floor. Cheap but effective.

I did originally have this also with polipod sorbethane feet then also under plinths, but found the stability compromised. Also has cleaner bass without (presumably as not gently rocking whilst music playing).

I did a similar thread around 18 months ago and there were a large number of suggestions, some pretty pricey. But this works fine for me.

Hope that helps.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Set up according to Rokan ...

http://www.roksan.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/caspian-fr5-speakers-user-manual.pdf

... use as a guide until the best positioning is achieved then maybe use their ‘spikes into screw-heads’ suggestion to see if this helps.

Both reviews that I have read this morning say they are a little light in the bass so maybe it won’t be an issue (unless you are a headbanger, in which case move into a detached house, or one where the listening room doesn’t share a party wall with a neighbour).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Use spikes if you want to COUPLE your speakers to the floor and send all excess bass resonances that would be generated in the box straight to the floor and walls (thus to your neighbors). Spikes work like soccer shoes for muddy grass. They help merge the masses of the two objects, speaker and floor, thus add mass to the later to make it less prone to resonances from drivers moving.

Use granite plinths to DECOUPLE the speakers from the floor and spare your hifi sources (especially TT) and your neighbors from the bass resonances. Granite is inert mass that stops vibration spreading.

Ideally you want a non-resonant well braced speaker so you can DECOUPLE it from the floor but still not have it mess up the timbral accuracy the drivers are trying to produce. If the box is lively in a bad way (some sound nice, add woody timbral richness) then something has to give. Spike them to the floor, or maybe throw bags of sand on the boxes to deaden them. You'd need to sacrifice your neighbors or your eyes.

I'd go with DECOUPLING with granite slabs first. If the sound is satisfactory, then all is well. I have 3 layers of marble slabs under my tower speakers. Reduces bass resonances in the floor immensely. It also raises the tweeters closer to ear height, so they sound more detailed and lively.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Having Hawkwind blasting through my bedroom wall. My brother was a big fan and in the 1970s we lived in Westgate On Sea in Kent. Nick Turner lived their too. He and other members of the band were often seen wandering around the shops. My brother got to know then quite well. Your neighbours should be grateful to you for introducing them to some culture.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
hypnic-headache-alarm-clock-headache-720x300.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

806.jpg

volume-down-1059504.jpg

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Try looking around Internet sites whare by you can buy so Cracking sound -limiting Rock-Wool

You then cover with sound -equiped (heavy sound-limiting plasterboard)

CHEAP ON INTERNET

Your neighbours will hardly, if eve hear yer sounds...... unless yer crazy ! ?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
My wee girl at the time was 9 years old, some daftie (at that time) had a crazy-woman , who night after night, easy 6 months or so........ not His Wife, just a hanger-outer type, (latest live-in) , and man was SHE loud !!!!!!!!

This person would EVERY EVENING from say 9pm keep LOUD MUSIC GOING until say 2.30am

After a while I got somewhat ANGRY !

Told em straight, QUITS all NOISE ! say, after 9.30pm

they never did

Police called, not a lot of help tbh..............

So I then took it upon myself to insulaye properly against such annoying people

I put exterior insulating rock-wool in my daughters room, ordinarry plasterboard..... Worked a treat

Could Work for you ?

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys, actually my neighbours are very good and my sound insulation is also very good, its just that I am just more conscious of turning up the volume on floorstanders - especially as they have a small child.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwind16 said:
I am just more conscious of turning up the volume on floorstanders - especially as they have a small child.
Please congratulate your floorstanders on our behalf. They grow up fast. Within a year or two you'll be like aaaaww I remember when you were just a wee 4" shelf-mount with a single driver, and now look at you, big grown up two-way ready for your first speaker stand.

Samd

MajorFubar said:
Hawkwind16 said:
I am just more conscious of turning up the volume on floorstanders - especially as they have a small child.
Please congratulate your floorstanders on our behalf. They grow up fast. Within a year or two you'll be like aaaaww I remember when you were just a wee 4" shelf-mount with a single driver, and now look at you, big grown up two-way ready for your first speaker stand.

Bang and Oluf's Son!

Samd said:
MajorFubar said:
Hawkwind16 said:

Bang and Oluf's Son!

Well I can remember when Wilson Audio had puppies... :)

insider9

MajorFubar said:
Hawkwind16 said:

Hahaha, the following year your wife will grow weary of you discussing three-ways all the time on public forums.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Hahaha, the following year your wife will grow weary of you discussing three-ways all the time on public forums.

I only once raised the subject of three-ways with Mrs Fubar, the look I received in return was enough to warn me never to raise the subject again *sad*

TRENDING THREADS