Lossless Surround is great for detail, but not so great for my neighbours. Help required!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nick

Yes, optical connection will not give you lossless sound, so you need to send the signal from you Blu Ray player through the receiver via HDMI to get optimum results. You really should do this because the results are impressive.

What I've found -- this is my only gripe and was also true with the Denon 1910 -- is that the 1065 will only pass through a 1080p video signal to my Panasonic G10 plasma. So every time I want to use the PS3 I have to engage the Yamaha. This shouldn't cause you a problem with your sky box though. Sky, as far as I'm aware, only broadcasts DD 5.1 at best, so an optical cable is fine for this function... you don't have to watch Eastenders in full surround sound!

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi strapped,

Well i think I am going to be bolwed over!, the surround placement via optical was a big leap from my old amp, so I look forward to actually hearing lossless audio......

when you say pass through, does this mean the Yamaha is off?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Go into the set up menu -- press 'on screen' on the remote and scroll down till you get to the setup icon in the bottom right hand corner. Select 'Function Setup' and then HDMI. There's an option at says 'Stanby Through'. Turn this on and the receiver will allow video pass through when the 1065 is in standby mode (but I can't get audio to pass through as well, however I change the settings). See page 50 of the manual as well. If you can get sound to pass through as well, please let me know how. If I could just get this issue sorted then everything would be perfect (or as close as I'm going to get on my budget)!

A

Anonymous

just received an unexpected windfall
emotion-19.gif

heading straight down to munstersounds for a subwoofer
emotion-2.gif

lots of questions and maybe even a review later
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:just received an unexpected windfall
emotion-19.gif

Are you my mum? She just won a wodge in a hospital lottery.

heading straight down to munstersounds for a subwoofer
emotion-2.gif

lots of questions and maybe even a review later
emotion-5.gif

Curious as to the relevance of this to this thread, I have to admit...

A

Anonymous

congrats to your mum
emotion-19.gif

read the whole thread and you will see the relevance
emotion-15.gif

gotta go now
emotion-58.gif
emotion-4.gif
emotion-11.gif

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
I think max is off on holdiay?!

starpped:

In the menu you said to go to, to enable video pass through when on stand by, in the same menu you can swith the audio to amp, tv, and, wait for it, amp & TV!!! This will give you video and audio pass through!

Happy days!

I think I may have wired my speaker in wrong, if I have 5.1, are my rear 'back surround' or left / right surround?

Cheers!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nick

I tried selecting the "amp & tv" option, but this still only gave me video, and no audio, on HDMI pass through when on standby. I'll have a chat with Yamaha tech support when I get the chance. Did this definitely work for you?

Don't use the "back surround" channels to wire up a 5.1 system. The easiest way to tell with the Yam is that all the 5.1 connections are adjacent to each other. Think Max has sub/power amp issues after his sudden cash injection and shopping spree!

A

Anonymous

yes guys max had an exiting day yesterday , i do now have the sub , so the system is complete , but i have to get it set up properly , i really dont know why the manuals with these amps dont explain things better , yes there is a little write up of what each button does , what functions there are etc , but the layman is left to figure out what to do with them all , its all trial and error ..

so , im going to bury my head in both the yam and nad manuals and not take it out till im fluent in technobabble , see you in a few months
emotion-40.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Nick, I'll give it a go. Now trying to decide whether I prefer the sound of the Yam fed through a Tacima mains conditioner. Bass sounds a little tighter, and it's clearer through the top end, but at the expense of a more emotive and expressive midrange... Hmmm... Pros and cons... On the plus side, standard def Freesat images look more stable through my Panasonic G10!

Hope you get your Nad problem sorted Max (no pun intended)!

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:
Thanks Nick, I'll give it a go. Now trying to decide whether I prefer the sound of the Yam fed through a Tacima mains conditioner. Bass sounds a little tighter, and it's clearer through the top end, but at the expense of a more emotive and expressive midrange... Hmmm... Pros and cons... On the plus side, standard def Freesat images look more stable through my Panasonic G10!

Hope you get your Nad problem sorted Max (no pun intended)!

cheers strapped , all sorted now bar a little fine tuning , thanks to some very helpful , patient (more patient than me
emotion-10.gif
) and knowledgable members of the forum
emotion-21.gif
, im very impressed with the nad , it produces a lovely sound that i really like , just a cd player to get now and im sorted .

by the way , isnt pure direct just lovely for hd movies
emotion-4.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
It's an odd thing with neighbours. It's not accepted practice to complain when their little darlings are tearing around their house screaming and shouting and clomping up and down the stairs 5 times a minute, but you want to watch a film or listen to some music, it's all "can you turn it down?".

My mate's neighbour actually comes to his door with a dictaphone recording of any noise he's been making.
emotion-8.gif

I hold the ultimate weapon in any noisy neighbour's arsenal though. Loud Hifi and a collection of extremely heavy metal, not to mention a massive drum kit in the garage.
emotion-39.gif

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:

It's an odd thing with neighbours. It's not accepted practice to complain when their little darlings are tearing around their house screaming and shouting and clomping up and down the stairs 5 times a minute, but you want to watch a film or listen to some music, it's all "can you turn it down?".
Yea i know what you mean. I,ve just finished a flat ready to let, the couple upstairs have laminate flooring and their kids who are only about 4 and 5 years old constantly run about, thump a ball and scream the place down. I worked in the property for 5 weeks, fitting kitchen, plastering, painting etc. While i was working i kept the radio up at full volume in the hall and shut the door behind me. After about 2 days working in the flat the woman from upstairs came down and complained about the radio noise, i told her that the radio was up loud to drown out the noise her kids made, she said that kids are kids and thats what they do, i replied that kids will only do what the parents allow them to do, she got angry and said don,t tell me how to deal with my children, i politely closed the door and went back to the job. It was 5 weeks of hell, luckily they have their flat up for sale and i,ve got the property let. Makes me appreciate that i stay in a detached.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem with the denon amp and changed to the yamaha765 , The yamaha is a massive and i mean a massive improvement for movies imop, I just couldnt get any surround feel out of the denon it is so dull in movies at low to mid volumes i just dont know how anybody rates the denon for movies sorry . Threads like this prove yamah is easy better for movies . At most movie surround demos shows the denons are not useds for speaker demo rooms ? they use onkyo or yamaha.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts