Please help - How to connect active woofer at speaker level (integrated stereo amp)

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

before I start I want to you to please show understanding to my complete lack of knowledge.

I have:
Marantz PM6002 stereo amp

a pair on Monitor Audio BX2's

a pair of B&W DM110i vintage speakers (tweeters are dead)

Recently I have bought a B&W AS608 woofer and I am not sure how to connect it properly. My amp doesn't have a dedicated woofer output and I am not ready for an upgrade.

I made some research on the internet and I found out that I need to connect it at speaker level - one pair of speakers and the woofer connected to the same speaker sockets.

QUESTIONS:

Do I have to use some splitter banana plugs (is this what are they called)? I have seen a guide on the internet in which dude used those but hasn't explained if it has to be done this way.
Can I just plug the bare wires - both speakers' and woofer's- in the same outputs?

Which speakers should I connect to the same outputs with the woofer?

What cable should I use to connect the woofer? I have read that 16-thick or less.

Thanks!

TrevC

Just run wires to the back of the speakers. Any wire wil do. You need to run 3 lengths, one to either black - terminal, no need to connect both, and two for the red + terminals.

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any spare speaker outputs on my amp. Both systems A and B are used by my 4 speakers. So I figure I need to connect the woofer and one pair of speakers together to the same speaker output on the amp...?

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Do you mean to connect the woofer to the back of speakers? The BX2's have double ports (for bi-wiring). Would one set of ports act as signal output for the woofer?

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
OK so I have temporarily disconnected the DM110i's and used the System 2 outputs to connect the woofer. It works, but whenever the music stops I can hear humming from the woofer. And if I switch the system 2 off by depressing the button on the amp, the hummong gets VERY loud.

I have checked, all + 's are connected to + 's and - 's to - 's.

I already started looking at some 7.1 amps... This is going to be a very tough decision to sell the PM6002 as I like it so much.

TrevC

Dr. Delban said:
OK so I have temporarily disconnected the DM110i's and used the System 2 outputs to connect the woofer. It works, but whenever the music stops I can hear humming from the woofer. And if I switch the system 2 off by depressing the button on the amp, the hummong gets VERY loud.

I have checked, all + 's are connected to + 's and - 's to - 's.

I already started looking at some 7.1 amps... This is going to be a very tough decision to sell the PM6002 as I like it so much.

Is the sub connected to the same mains socket as the amp? If not, do it. Don't switch the second speaker output off. Doing so allows the signal lead of the sub to float, thereby picking up hum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts