Planning for 2016 - new hifi

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
In Scotchland I had an all Cyrus setup - Cyrus CD-XT, DAC-X, Pre-X and twin X-Powers - driving ProAc Studio 140 speakers. Interconnects were all Chord (can't remember which ones exactly but they weren't the cheapest and certainly not the most expensive) and the speaker cables were Chord Odyssey 4s, with two cable runs to each speaker, bi-wired / bi-amped off the twin X-powers in twin mono mode, using two paired cores in each speaker cables for the ultimate in "oomph" capabilities.

Loved it. If I was still there I might have upgraded to Signature components but would have looked no further.

However, I sold the lot, except the cables, oddly, and so I now have to start again.

Choices would be Cyrus again, but Signature series this time, or Roksan Caspian, nothing American or Japanese mainstream, and high end American or Japanese would be out of my price range. Speakers, probably ProAcs either way (love them).

Sources would be a CD player, a media PC to stream FLACs (off the CDs) and the "front" outputs from my surround sound. Maybe some high resolution audio web source as well, but again via the media PC.

Thoughts on Cyrus vs. Roksan?

PS. Mostly middle aged rock, some classical, and although I know I like Cyrus stuff, I can't audition either without getting on a 747.

matthewpiano

Personally I'd opt for Cyrus over Roksan every time and, given the fact you have already owned and enjoyed their kit, I think it would be the safer purchase. I've heard a fair amount of Roksan kit in different circumstances, and it just doesn't do anything at all for me.

I would also suggest considering Rega kit as it is very musical and involving and each of their amps performs beyond the asking price. The Elicit-R is, quite frankly, stunning.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Given the choice, Roksan over almost everything Cyrus make. I'd not choose either if it was opened out further. There is much better quality at much lower prices to be had.

Agreed: why so restrictive?

matt49 said:
SteveR750 said:
Given the choice, Roksan over almost everything Cyrus make. I'd not choose either if it was opened out further. There is much better quality at much lower prices to be had.

Agreed: why so restrictive?

Agree. I'd be looking at Primare. Always assumed you can find a dealer there in Houston. Should complement your ProAcs very nicely. Is your limited list based on what you can audition?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
...Choices would be Cyrus again, but Signature series this time, or Roksan Caspian, nothing American or Japanese mainstream, and high end American or Japanese would be out of my price range. Speakers, probably ProAcs either way (love them)...

Cyrus Signature is about £2000 to £3000 per item new and about half that second hand.

For that sort of money you can get some genuine high end American and Japanese amplification.

lindsayt said:
...Choices would be Cyrus again, but Signature series this time, or Roksan Caspian, nothing American or Japanese mainstream, and high end American or Japanese would be out of my price range. Speakers, probably ProAcs either way (love them)...

Cyrus Signature is about £2000 to £3000 per item new and about half that second hand.

For that sort of money you can get some genuine high end American and Japanese amplification.

....and near top of the range Primare. :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You won't get much cyrus love on this forum :)

Personally, I think a battery of shoe boxes in a hark rack looks very smart.

I have never heard any signature series products but they read (!) very nice. There is not shortage of competition at that level though. The list is almost endless and includes some amazing names/products.

Have you got the time and inclanation to visit dealers for demos? Sure would be interesting but at the same time there is absolutely nothing wrong imo with sticking/returning to something you like and know.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
What does 'Signature' get you apart from the badge?

What are the substantive differences? (In terms of actual hardware rather than marketing 'fluff'.)

No detail other than '... has evolved from the Xseries ... including performance enhancing modifications and the latest-generation components ... '

Nothing new in that. Marantz did it with the Ishiwata Signature series and many others do too.

Some prefer to call it a new range, Roksan's change from the K2 to K3 springs to mind (to be fair, they did get a new faceplate/remote too), others a 'hot-rodded' version of existing stuff.

All (usually) charge more for the latest and newest.

Having said that, if I could afford the Signature's I would at least like a new finish to the casings as the Anniversary Edition's did.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely NOWHERE to audtion anything in Houston, unless you count Bestbuy or Frys, which is a bit like going to Coment (when they still existed).

Very wary of American stuff as it usually sounds way too bassy and / or is extortionately priced. US hifi mags reviews are all "isn't it wonderful" to the point where if you put an old Amstrad / Kenwood / you name what your grandparents had radiogram with a ground down needle and a scratched up New Seekers LP bought second hand at a car boot sale up against the greatest thing Uncle Sam has to offer, they'd sing the praises of the Amstrad to the hilt in fear of getting sued.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts