Pio 4280 vs. Panny TH-42PZ85 vs. Tos 40XF355B

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am caught between knowing which set to buy from the 3 above.

Whilst the Tos is LCD, it looks amazing, is ultra compact and it is 1080p. Am told that plasma is the best but am not totally sure - in that case I am torn between opting for the Pio (availabe now) and the Panny (not released but will be 1080p).
  • Any views on opting for this LCD vs. either plasma?
  • If plasma is best, does anyone have a view if waiting for the Panny will be worth it esp. given the 1080p spec? Buying a TV that is not 1080p does not feel that progressive and lacks an element of 'future proofing' and hence am nervous about the Pio.
  • Does anyone know the release date and dimensions of the Panny?
Any experience or advice welcomed. Tkx
emotion-1.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Wouldn't get too hung up on the 1080p spec - it doesn't necessarily make the picture better. The Pioneer Kuros are excellent and deliver fabulous pictures, despite being 'only' HD-ready.

The previous-series Panasonic plasmas were excellent too, although haven't seen the new 42PZ85 in action yet. Personally I'd go for one of the plasmas over LCD. Check out details of the new Panasonics here.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The '85' Panasonic is Full HD (1080p, 24fps) and due in April (the '80' any day now - we've got a test unit of the TH42PX80 due any minute).

The Toshiba is a superb set for the money - Full HD, 24fps etc - but I'd bet large amounts of money that the new plasmas beat it for black depth, contrast and motion-handling.

If you don't have to buy just now, and have room/budget for a 42in set, it might be worth waiting to see the sets in action/read the test results.

A

Anonymous

Tks for your replies. JLewis now tell me they may get stock of the Panny from next week. However the width is over 106cm which, as usual for them, is just too big for me. The Pio was the max width I would accept.

A

Anonymous

Have just seen the Pio and Tos next to each other. No brainer really as the Tos was really poor with the Grand Prix and Football feeds. So based on the view that not having 1080p with the Pio is fine then it is decision made - I think!

A

Anonymous

The Which? magazine panned the Toshiba something awful. Mainly for poor SD picture quality. They awarded it a "Don't Buy" recommendation.

A

Anonymous

Pio v. Pana

If Kuro is so great (too dark for my taste), then why Pioneer is closing its own plasma panel factory and plans to outsource from Panasonic?

LCD over 32" is a waste of money (regardless of manufacturer), unless you gonna use it for games, Blu-ray and HD television solely. That's where they show their capabilities.

Toshiba - steer away from it - fault percentage is (or rather was, before we gave up selling that brand) very high.

Pio v. Pana fault ratio is comparable.

FYI: I sell TV for living.

A

Anonymous

... Pioneer arent exactly "closing its own plasma panel factory" they are looking for plans to achieve a stable revenue...

A

Anonymous

Thanks all. Have now gone for the Pio and looking forward to it. My understanding is that Pio are not abandoning their offering, just looking for more cost effective and profitable propositions.

A

Anonymous

I've seen from other topics that people have pre-ordered the Panny - love to see some thoughts if anyone has taken delivery yet as I'm veering towards Plasma myself and I'm too chicken to part with that much cash before having seen it or read a review!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts