Phono-stage and speaker advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys - I am counting on your expertise and generosity in providing some adive on some new components I wish to purchase.

I have recently moved interstate, and my hi-fi system has 'gone missing,' thankfully with appropriate insurance.

I am rebuilding, and currently have a Rega Apollo CD player and an aging Rotel turntable.

I will more than likely purchase a Naim Nait 5i integrated amplifier, as I have been offered an irresistible price for a near-new model, and have heard the Apollo matched and was suitably impressed.

Now I am not sure on how to arrange my turntable in the new system. Previously I had phono inputs to work with, but with the Nait 5i I will be left somewhat lacking!

I am quite an amateur when it comes to the technology behind the music. Does it matter that the nait doesnt have any powered inputs? I suppose I will need a phono preamplifier?

If so - in which of the Nait's inputs should it be connected - AV, Tape or Turner? My local hifi shop sells the Cambridge Audio 540 and 640 preamp and rega Fono - any recommendations for around 200-250 pounds?

My next question is speakers. My shortlist is Monitor Audio RX1, EB Acoustics EB1 or B&W 685s. 500-600 pounds is my ideal budget - what would you choose?

I thank you in advance!

A

Anonymous

Hello you,

if you go for a naim amp I would try to buy a Naim stageline, sometimes offered on e-bay. These are available either as MM or MC option.

If you are going to buy a new unit try to find a Lehmann Black Cube Statement phono pre. This is a giant killer as per some testers opinions. This phono pre is also very flexible in regard to impedance settings/requirements of your cartridge.

Regards

Edgar

T

the record spot

So, Naim at around £750 and around £350-£400 for speakers. £1100-£1200 easily gets you into actives, probably with even better performance for less. Sorry to bang on about them again, but the Genelec 8030A will take a lot of beating at around £800 a pair. Terrific little boxes with a sound that's wholly unexpected from something their size. They go very deep, very accurate, wonderful build, mile wide stereo thanks to their construction and have a range of input options. You could even look at the next model up. Massive recommendation for these and see also the Acoustic Energy AE22 Active.

Heard a bunch of Naim kit with some high end KEF speakers in Edinburgh the other week and the Gennies at the weekend. The Genelecs had the more enjoyable sound, just very, very musical speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Heard a bunch of Naim kit with some high end KEF speakers in Edinburgh the other week and the Gennies at the weekend. The Genelecs had the more enjoyable sound, just very, very musical speakers.

Not a match made in heaven really.

T

the record spot

Naim pre/powers, maybe a DAC, not sure. High end KEF's, playing some electronica. Not a match made in heaven alright. Didn't have the heart to tell the guy I thought it sounded less than brilliant.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Electronica sounds great on the Reference, it's just that the Naim doesn't quite grab the KEF's by the danglies and order them what to do - Naim is quite lean in the bass area and the KEF's just don't go too well with lean electronics. Many people prefer the likes of Neat and Dynaudio etc to bring the bass out of the Naim more. Unfortunately Naim doesn't bring out the bass of the KEF's....

A

Anonymous

the record spot:So, Naim at around £750 and around £350-£400 for speakers. £1100-£1200 easily gets you into actives, probably with even better performance for less. Sorry to bang on about them again, but the Genelec 8030A will take a lot of beating at around £800 a pair. Terrific little boxes with a sound that's wholly unexpected from something their size. They go very deep, very accurate, wonderful build, mile wide stereo thanks to their construction and have a range of input options. You could even look at the next model up. Massive recommendation for these and see also the Acoustic Energy AE22 Active. Heard a bunch of Naim kit with some high end KEF speakers in Edinburgh the other week and the Gennies at the weekend. The Genelecs had the more enjoyable sound, just very, very musical speakers.Can't agree with you, RS. Genelecs are like any other speaker in that there will be some who like the sound while others won't. Personally I found them pleasant, a trifle closed in and a bit limited in the bass, which is what you'd expect. Certainly not in the same league as my current speakers which is why I opted for a new amp instead.

The other downside is that upgrading is costly as the amp is built in. Actives are not per se better than passives, given the vagaries of speaker design and sound. Apart from B&O I haven't found any I've liked yet.

Getting back to the OP, I'm a big fan of Dynaudio with Naim. They're not a cheap option, but then you wouldn't need to upgrade for many a year. Totems are also a good choice, as are Vienna Acoustics.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great feedback. I now believe I will bide my time and save up for a better performing phono-stage.

I have a new predicament, in which I have searched for solutions in other forums and just ended up confused!

I need to connect my apollo cd to my Nait amplifier. I had heard that the best option was for an RCA-DIN interconnect like the Chord Anthem. Unfortunetly this is way out of my price range. Do you think a Chord Cobra would be a reasonable alternative?

OR, am I better buying a really high quality RCA-RCA interconenct (I like the ecosse nudiva) and ignoring the DIN altogether?

Thanks again!

T

the record spot

Tarquinh:
Can't agree with you, RS. Genelecs are like any other speaker in that there will be some who like the sound while others won't.

And the point here is? Pretty redundant in as much as you can say that about anything really!

Tarquinh:
Personally I found them pleasant...

Well, that's nice!

But here's where it goes off the radar...

Tarquinh:
a trifle closed in

Eh?

Tarquinh:
and a bit limited in the bass

Eh??

Tarquinh:
which is what you'd expect.

Eh???

Now, I've no idea what you've heard in the wide spectrum of loudspeakers, certainly, not within the wide range of speakers Genelec produce and they all look quite similar to some degree.

However, the above three statements are - simply - wrong. How come? They're none of the above. I've no idea what you expect of them, but while the replay is detailed, but very musical, the soundstage is wideopen thanks to the design of the speaker's curvature to the front - it disperses the sound out on a wide scale.

No bass? Hello? For the size, the 8030A has a seriously good, deep and clean bass. It's not flabby, like some I've heard - by the way you're talking you're making it sound like some of these slim home cinema floorstanders that need a sub. The 8030A was way more capable and enjoys a realistic and throaty bass.

As for "what you'd expect". Well, maybe it's what you'd expect but I don't know what you call "good bass" which sounds like it might be a cast-off from Donington!

Tarquinh:
The other downside is that upgrading is costly as the amp is built in. Actives are not per se better than passives, given the vagaries of speaker design and sound.

God, can we have some more misinformation please? Upgrading is costly as the amp is built in is it? Let's see, the Nait 5i is a £750 or so amp. The B&W 685s are a £400 or so speaker. So, £1150. The Genelecs are £830. And are we really having a conversation about the cost of upgrading actives when the near whole philosophy around much Naim kit is driven by adding more boxes, none of which are what you'd call cheap. Seriously? Hell, you can add the next boxes in the Genelec range up and still be cheaper than some of the Naim amps by some distance.

Actives aren't 'better' than passives? The "better" here is a subjective one I think. You might like the sound on your passives, much as I like my 752s, but that's no barometer of anything. I wouldn't even go down that road of one being better than the other anyway. It's a non-starter from where I'm sitting.

On reflection, I think you heard the 6010 Gennies a while back, and then maybe another pair not long after, but you're the first I've heard that's said they're closed in and bass-light. Wow, that's some confusion going on there. Either that or the wonderfully rich, detailed and thoroughly impressive speakers I heard on Sunday were something else masquerading in a box barely 12" high.

A

Anonymous

People do hear things differently, RS, and thats my point. Sorry if I upset you, just presenting an alternative viewpoint, thats all. You'd probably hate my gear.

T

the record spot

Of course they do, and not upset at all, far from it, just slightly puzzled at the take - there's no question that it's "different strokes" from one person to the next, but if anything the alternative viewpoint is actives rather than the traditional setup we get with traditional hifi. Naim being arguably one of the worst!

And I'm sure that your gear is fine. Incidentally, Genelec do manufacture a subwoofer...which is huge.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Well now that everyone is happy again!

I have ended up with the following system:

• Rega Apollo CD
  • Naim Nait 5i Integrated Amplifier
  • Neat Motive 2 Loudspeakers
  • Naim NAC A5 Speaker Cable
  • Chord Company Anthem 2 RCA

Trying to find an affordable RCA-DIN interconnect was near impossible, so I decided to go with the highest quality RCA-RCA I could afford. Overall I saved a total of 33% of the new-RRP of all these products in Australia- no-one negotiates on price like an ex-pat Scot!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts