Question Why can't I get sound quality right playing from my phone?

tommitches

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
I have a arcam a75 and monitor audio speakers. When playing from turntable via amp the sound quality is great. When I plug my phone in via aux I can't get the sound right at all. Toggling phono/line, trying diff inputs etc
Any ideas of what is wrong?

You have a headphone output on the phone? Does it sound ok on headphones?

Where is the music - stored on the phone or streamed?

Are the volume levels similar to the records, as overly high output from phone could clip the input on the amplifier?

Reactions: DougK1

tommitches

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Sound is fine with headphones from my phone.
I've used various sources from my phone - often streaming from soundcloud/spotify
Re volume levels if I keep the same input as turntable it's either no volume or what seems like the right volume but wayy too bass-y, depending on phono/line toggle
Other inputs all seem to be barely any sound mostly

Sound is fine with headphones from my phone.
I've used various sources from my phone - often streaming from soundcloud/spotify
Re volume levels if I keep the same input as turntable it's either no volume or what seems like the right volume but wayy too bass-y, depending on phono/line toggle
Other inputs all seem to be barely any sound mostly
Ah, well way too bassy is you using the wrong input! Never use the phono input except for a magnetic cartridge source. It has massive equalisation - look up RIAA curve - to boost bass and cut treble. It’s a mirror image of how records are manufactured.

Use a spare line input - typically labelled Line, TapeIn, Tuner, CD etc. . Then turn up the phone volume to yield similar loudness yo the record/phono source.

Are you using a 3.5mm stereo Jack to twin RCA phono cable?

Reactions: DougK1

Fandango Andy

I have a arcam a75 and monitor audio speakers. When playing from turntable via amp the sound quality is great. When I plug my phone in via aux I can't get the sound right at all. Toggling phono/line, trying diff inputs etc
Any ideas of what is wrong?
Not clear what the issue is. Where are you plugging the phone in? should use CD, Tape, DVD, AUX, basically anything but Phono.

That should sound OK. Your limitation will be the rubbish DAC that phones tend to have. If you have a USB (or iphone equivalent) out, you could connect that to a DAC such as an Audioquest Dragonfly, or Cyrus Soundkey.

Finally, you could forget the phone and use a streamer such as a WiiM Mini. This will stream directly from your wifi, and just use your phone as a controller.

TRENDING THREADS