Phono amp

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm toying with the idea of getting a Project Debut turntable to add to my 2nd system and not sure which is the best route to go down for connecting it to my Arcam Alpha 9 amp Would it be best to get the phono extra added to the amp or is it worth spending a bit more and getting a good external phono amp? If so, what external phono amp should i consider and does anyone else have an idea for a different turntable? I dont want to spend more than £200 on the turntable as my vinyl collction is fairly limited!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No, most of the Arcam integrated amps have the phono stage as an 'additional extra'.

It is a consideration but i thought an external phono amp would be easier etc...

Plus getting a turntable/phono amp gives me an excuse to get a better equipment rack! I'm thinking Atacama....

John Duncan

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]No, most of the Arcam integrated amps have the phono stage as an 'additional extra'. [/quote]

OK. You might be hard pushed to find the plug in board now, though I imagine it would be good quality. Can't go wrong with the Cambridge though (I have one sitting in what's not exactly a cheap system, and don't doubt its ability)

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Plus getting a turntable/phono amp gives me an excuse to get a better equipment rack! I'm thinking Atacama....[/quote]See, now you're talking. And re: Atacama, not much point in looking any further, probably.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]I'm toying with the idea of getting a Project Debut turntable to add to my 2nd system and not sure which is the best route to go down for connecting it to my Arcam Alpha 9 amp

Would it be best to get the phono extra added to the amp or is it worth spending a bit more and getting a good external phono amp?

If so, what external phono amp should i consider and does anyone else have an idea for a different turntable? I dont want to spend more than £200 on the turntable as my vinyl collction is fairly limited!
[/quote]

I have just acquired the Rega Phono Mini which i have set up with my Cyrus and Project and to me it sounds fantastic. Hard to compare it to others though as my previous Arcam A80 had one built in. £55 brand new which is pretty good though.

John Duncan

[quote user="chiefbrody"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]I'm toying with the idea of getting a Project Debut turntable to add to my 2nd system and not sure which is the best route to go down for connecting it to my Arcam Alpha 9 amp

Would it be best to get the phono extra added to the amp or is it worth spending a bit more and getting a good external phono amp?

If so, what external phono amp should i consider and does anyone else have an idea for a different turntable? I dont want to spend more than £200 on the turntable as my vinyl collction is fairly limited!
[/quote]

I have just acquired the Rega Phono Mini which i have set up with my Cyrus and Project and to me it sounds fantastic. Hard to compare it to others though as my previous Arcam A80 had one built in. £55 brand new which is pretty good though.[/quote]

Ah but the Cambridge has a cool blue light ooooo

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="chiefbrody"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]I'm toying with the idea of getting a Project Debut turntable to add to my 2nd system and not sure which is the best route to go down for connecting it to my Arcam Alpha 9 amp

[/quote]

I have just acquired the Rega Phono Mini which i have set up with my Cyrus and Project and to me it sounds fantastic. Hard to compare it to others though as my previous Arcam A80 had one built in. £55 brand new which is pretty good though.[/quote]

Ah but the Cambridge has a cool blue light ooooo[/quote]

I can't beat that i'm afraid!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i could have sworn all arcam amps had a phono stage,a little button you depressed with a pen at the back.it's a tiny hole but i was sure it's there.if not then ca 640p is a good start,have to admit didn't know about the rega mini phono does it not have a cool red light.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]i could have sworn all arcam amps had a phono stage,a little button you depressed with a pen at the back.it's a tiny hole but i was sure it's there.if not then ca 640p is a good start,have to admit didn't know about the rega mini phono does it not have a cool red light.[/quote]

It does have a cool red light yes. All i know is, it sounds very impressive.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
nice one,i had the rega ear amp and much prefer a red light especially on black,i must check it out. does anyone know if the arcam has a phono input to help dan out.might save him a bit of money or do you want that rack dan.

John Duncan

From Arcam's web site:

"Arcam's Alpha 9 integrated amplifier [snip]

(note that the plug-in phono stage, which caters for both MM and low output MC cartridges, is a dealer fitted optional extra)."

So there we go.......an Arcam dealer might still be able to find and fit a board, but I would suspect a 640p would be cheaper and at least of comparable quality. With a cool blue light
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]From Arcam's web site:

"Arcam's Alpha 9 integrated amplifier [snip]

(note that the plug-in phono stage, which caters for both MM and low output MC cartridges, is a dealer fitted optional extra)."

So there we go.......an Arcam dealer might still be able to find and fit a board, but I would suspect a 640p would be cheaper and at least of comparable quality. With a cool blue light
emotion-1.gif
.[/quote]

Red light Vs Blue light!!! Nothing to do with sound quality?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts