Perreaux amps

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Good choice :grin:

In nine years of ownership I have not regretted buying mine for one second :)

It just make every other source (including vinyl) that I have heard sound small and lacking in one way or another .

It combines weight and dynamics with intricate detail and air effortlessly ,and even with less than perfect recordings it always seems the find the best of the music .

Well done and enjoy ! :grin:

Absolutely spot on!

For anyone looking for a new CDP that's not bothered about coductivity, need look no further.

Cheers

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

For those who are interested, my new EMC1UP arrived today! well just about.

Had a bit of a scarey time when the dealer phoned to confirm receipt of the demo gear back plus my Naim, and to make sure I was happy with my new purchase, but I had to tell them I had not received it! Apparently it had been delivered and signed for this morning.

After a lot of phone tennis between the dealer, courier company and myself, it eventually turned up at 4 this afternoon.

I can't praise Audio Destination high enough, they must have spent the best part of the day chasing it up and constantly keeping me informed.

Well it's all installed and playing away as I type and sounds pretty good straight from the box and I know it will get better in a few days.

One last tweak for me and that's to try the Telurium Q black speaker cable, which I will try once the CDP has bedded in.

Electro, if you read this, could you please advise me what the thicker allen key is for?

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Great job Mac.

I'm glad you're trying the TQ, as I thought the Chord was the only weak link in the system.

I didn't like to suggest it while you were up to your neck in demos.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mac,

The small Allen key is to remove the gold metal plate on top of player , once the plate is removed the larger Allen key is to loosen the transit Allen bolt that is in the hole that was covered by the gold plate .

From memory on mine there are two wing screws and one wing nut underneath the Cd player that should be removed first then the Allen bolt under the gold plate should be loosened about 10 turns but do not remove the Allen bolt completely

This should be loosened until all the pressure is released and it feels loose .

The stud that the wing nut was screwed onto will disappear up into the player as the top Allen screw is loosened but watch that the stud does not get stuck on the edge of the casing , if it does just wiggle it with your finger and it will free off and go up through the hole .

This process is to loosen the 8kg Electro mechanical cancellation system that damps the transport mechanism .

If you are not sure or you need more info let me know .

And of course the next step is to sit back and prepare yourself for some wonderful music :grin:

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have just found a PDF of how to release the transit screws .

Just scroll down to the relevant section .

http://www.electrocompaniet.com/files/manuals/emc1up_R2.pdf

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:

O my word Electro!

I never saw that small wingnut underneath before... I didn't notice it on the demo unit, so never loosened the transit screw... it played fine and sounded great anyway. Will I have caused any damage?

Cheers

Mac

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Electro said:

O my word Electro!

I never saw that small wingnut underneath before... I didn't notice it on the demo unit, so never loosened the transit screw... it played fine and sounded great anyway. Will I have caused any damage?

Cheers

Mac

No don't panic :) it will do no damage to the Cd player to use it with the transit screws still in place but you will only be hearing about 50% of what it is capable of :exmark: .

If the transit screws were still tightened down on the demo player and you still thought it was better than the Naim and the Sugden Cd players you are in for a real very pleasant shock over the next few days as your new machine settles in with the EMC mechanism working as it should !

My word it just shows how good this Cd player is if it can perform as well as it did with both hands tied behind it's back :rofl:

One other tip is to use the supplied spirit level to make sure that the player is as level as possible .

Believe me when I say that you have only heard half of what this amazing machine can do so far :grin:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Electro said:

O my word Electro!

Cheers

Mac

No don't panic :) it will do no damage to the Cd player to use it with the transit screws still in place but you will only be hearing about 50% of what it is capable of :exmark: .

If the transit screws were still tightened down on the demo player and you still thought it was better than the Naim and the Sugden Cd players you are in for a real very pleasant shock over the next few days as your new machine settles in with the EMC mechanism working as it should !

My word it just shows how good this Cd player is if it can perform as well as it did with both hands tied behind it's back :rofl:

One other tip is to use the supplied spirit level to make sure that the player is as level as possible .

Believe me when I say that you have only heard half of what this amazing machine can do so far :grin:

Phew! thanks for putting my mind at rest.

I can't believe I've been hearing this player so constrained and still found it so good... amazing!

I intend, at some time, to demo the Electro pre/power. Although, I find it hard to imagine my system sounding any better!

BTW, haven't come across the spirit level you mentioned.

Cheers

Mac

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I got a little button spirit level with mine but if you did not any small round spirit level will do .

If you do decide to try an Electrocompaniet pre- power it really depends on what your budget is but I would recommend sticking with the cheaper EC4.7 pre amp because it only has the basic simple circuitry that you need for a two channel system and in my opinion sounds slightly better that the newer more expensive EC 4.8 that has a lot of sophisticated monitoring and control electronics for the SPAC network .

On the power amp front it gets a little less easy the AW120 DMB that I own has been replaced by a similar model called the AW2X120-M , the spec is almost identical but the innards have been completely re-arranged to make more room for an extra mono power module that can turn it into three channel amp , also the SPAC network has been added for monitoring the amps in use . It can now be turned into a 400 w monoblock with a touch of a button on the remote but you don't really need any of this unless you are going to run a multichannel system .

So then you have the AW250 R a massive powerhouse of an amp that is as delicate as a butterfly one second and will in a heartbeat turn into a raging monster that will give you the sort of dynamics that most amplifiers only ever dream of .

Then you come to my personal favourites the AW180 mono blocks and in my opinion probably the best power amplifiers in the world :O which is quite a statement I know, but if you do try a pair be prepared to pay for them because you will want them :)

Forgive me for this link I have only posted it to tease you :)

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_17_19&products_id=1117

But then again once the EMC1UP is fully settled in you may completely forget about any thoughts of upgrading your amp anyway :grin: .

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
I got a little button spirit level with mine but if you did not any small round spirit level will do .

If you do decide to try an Electrocompaniet pre- power it really depends on what your budget is but I would recommend sticking with the cheaper EC4.7 pre amp because it only has the basic simple circuitry that you need for a two channel system and in my opinion sounds slightly better that the newer more expensive EC 4.8 that has a lot of sophisticated monitoring and control electronics for the SPAC network .

On the power amp front it gets a little less easy the AW120 DMB that I own has been replaced by a similar model called the AW2X120-M , the spec is almost identical but the innards have been completely re-arranged to make more room for an extra mono power module that can turn it into three channel amp , also the SPAC network has been added for monitoring the amps in use . It can now be turned into a 400 w monoblock with a touch of a button on the remote but you don't really need any of this unless you are going to run a multichannel system .

So then you have the AW250 R a massive powerhouse of an amp that is as delicate as a butterfly one second and will in a heartbeat turn into a raging monster that will give you the sort of dynamics that most amplifiers only ever dream of .

Then you come to my personal favourites the AW180 mono blocks and in my opinion probably the best power amplifiers in the world :O which is quite a statement I know, but if you do try a pair be prepared to pay for them because you will want them :)

Forgive me for this link I have only posted it to tease you :)

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_17_19&products_id=1117

But then again once the EMC1UP is fully settled in you may completely forget about any thoughts of upgrading your amp anyway :grin: .

Here's hoping!

I had settled on the 4.7, for when the time comes, but must admit the pre/power world is totally foreign to me and not altogether sure if it's not a case of overkill in my sized listening area.

There appears to be a few ex demo 4.7's and AW120's around at the moment, but no dealers selling both. Don't want to really be getting 1 amp from one place and the other from another.

I have asked Audio Destination to let me know if they happened to find themselves with any ex demo pre/power units up for grabs.

There's no rush for this, so for the time being will just enjoy the ever improving EMC1UP.

grin.gif

Cheers

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Although, I find it hard to imagine my system sounding any better!

You only think that.....wait till you start messing around with S/C, mains cables and Black Ravioli! >)

Cno,

Had the TQ black speaker cable and links on trial for a few days and sadly not found them to my liking.

The base became over blown... I think this was mainly due to the links, as when I replaced them with the little metal connectors it was greatly reduced.

After discarding the links, I tested the two SC's together and to be honest, in my set up, I could not hear any discernable difference. So they will be posted back to the dealers this week, such a shame, as I really wanted to like them... so well made.

Cheers

Mac

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

You only think that.....wait till you start messing around with S/C, mains cables and Black Ravioli! >)

Cno,

Had the TQ black speaker cable and links on trial for a few days and sadly not found them to my liking.

The base became over blown... I think this was mainly due to the links, as when I replaced them with the little metal connectors it was greatly reduced.

After discarding the links, I tested the two SC's together and to be honest, in my set up, I could not hear any discernable difference. So they will be posted back to the dealers this week, such a shame, as I really wanted to like them... so well made.

Cheers

Mac

Harbeths are immune to different cables, and even..amps..aren't they? ;)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
paradiziac said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Cno,

Cheers

Mac

Harbeths are immune to different cables, and even..amps..aren't they? ;)

Hmmm, you've been on the Harbeth website too!

shifty.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Cno,

Cheers

Mac

Thx for getting back.

It's always good to try these things, and the feedback gained is never waisted.....it also, to some degree, vindicates the choice of your existing cables, and has satisfied your curiosity.

On to the next thing then!

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Cno,

Cheers

Mac

Thx for getting back.

It's always good to try these things, and the feedback gained is never waisted.....it also, to some degree, vindicates the choice of your existing cables, and has satisfied your curiosity.

On to the next thing then!

Cno

shhh.gif

Don't let everyone know, but I've made enquiries about the possibility of a home demo with an ex demo model of your baby... not hopeful, as it's out with someone else at the moment and may buy. However, the other party would prefer the unit in black, so might be tempted to buy new.

I know it's still class A, but I've just got to hear what all the fuss is about!

shifty.gif

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
shhh.gif

Don't let everyone know, but I've made enquiries about the possibility of a home demo with an ex demo model of your baby... not hopeful, as it's out with someone else at the moment and may buy. However, the other party would prefer the unit in black, so might be tempted to buy new.

I know it's still class A, but I've just got to hear what all the fuss is about!

shifty.gif

Cheers

Mac

I won't tell a soul!

The only reservation I have, is something you mentioned some time back.....this baby has the deepest, most robust bass of any amp I've heard, in and around its price. This shouldn't be a problem if you have room to manoeuvre re your speakers.

I will be fascinated to hear your view...it's an amp that needs to be heard, if only to reject.

I'm delighted it's still in the chase.

Cno

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Yes, that is the one area that concerns me, as I do have a relatively small listening room... long, but narrow.

Cheers

Mac

I am really curios to read your impressions....but if you liked so much the Sudgen you will melt for the AMS35i :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts