Perreaux amps

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Macspur said:
Yes, that is the one area that concerns me, as I do have a relatively small listening room... long, but narrow.

Cheers

Mac

I am really curios to read your impressions....but if you liked so much the Sudgen you will melt for the AMS35i :cheers:

Alex,

If I'm lucky enough to get to hear this legend, be assured I will be reporting back... got a nasty feeling the other customer will end up buying the dem model though.

boohoo.gif

Cheers

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:
Yes, that is the one area that concerns me, as I do have a relatively small listening room... long, but narrow.

Cheers

Mac

I am really curios to read your impressions....but if you liked so much the Sudgen you will melt for the AMS35i :cheers:

Alex,

If I'm lucky enough to get to hear this legend, be assured I will be reporting back... got a nasty feeling the other customer will end up buying the dem model though.

boohoo.gif

Cheers

Mac

That's a shame...you won't have any other opportunity to have another demo unit?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Macspur said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:

Cheers

Mac

Alex,

boohoo.gif

Cheers

Mac

That's a shame...you won't have any other opportunity to have another demo unit?

Not that I've seen at the moment... will keep checking though.

Cheers

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Macspur said:
Good news, should get the AMS end of next week.

The other guy bought brand new as wife insisted on having black.

grin.gif

Great news!

How is the CDP performing so far?

Alex,

I cannot speak highly enough of the EMC1UP... it's beautifully deep, with a wide sound stage with superb resolution... i think I'd have to spend a lot more to find better.

I will be amazed if the AMS can make it sound even better, but I just have to hear for myself.

Cheers

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:
Good news, should get the AMS end of next week.

The other guy bought brand new as wife insisted on having black.

grin.gif

Great news!

How is the CDP performing so far?

Alex,

I cannot speak highly enough of the EMC1UP... it's beautifully deep, with a wide sound stage with superb resolution... i think I'd have to spend a lot more to find better.

I will be amazed if the AMS can make it sound even better, but I just have to hear for myself.

Cheers

Mac

If (as I think) the AMS will make it sound better (see also much better) what will your plan be? Changing for an AMS? :read:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
It provably will sound better, but better enough you will make the change that's for you to determine considering you already have a superb amp IMO....But my guess is it will make you think...a lot.... >)

Cno

We might have a new club member soon :cheers:

Alex

Do I notice a little doubt there? :?

A

Anonymous

I may be wrong, but taking into account the rated power, I suspect Eloquence Series amplifiers use a class D output topology. If I'm right, you'll have a downgrade in terms of overall refinement.

You'll trade off mid and high frequency refinement by sheer power, dynamics and transient attack. A well desgined class A amplifier, like the referred Sugden, definetely sounds more liquid and natural. I reckon you won't like the quality of trebles of the 150i because of lack of harmonics, a problem that is intrinsic to the technology of switching amplifiers. It affects the full frequency (bass sound cold) range but is mostly apparent on the top end.

If I were you, I'd consider to get a class A Sugden power to use together with your IA-4 integrated amplifier. Other way to go is the adoption a well designed class AB integrated amplifier, like Luxman L-509 (bipolar output) or Accuphase E-460 (Mosfet output).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:
I may be wrong, but taking into account the rated power, I suspect Eloquence Series amplifiers use a class D output topology. If I'm right, you'll have a downgrade in terms of overall refinement.

You'll trade off mid and high frequency refinement by sheer power, dynamics and transient attack. A well desgined class A amplifier, like the referred Sugden, definetely sounds more liquid and natural. I reckon you won't like the quality of trebles of the 150i because of lack of harmonics, a problem that is intrinsic to the technology of switching amplifiers. It affects the full frequency (bass sound cold) range but is mostly apparent on the top end.

If I were you, I'd consider to get a class A Sugden power to use together with your IA-4 integrated amplifier. Other way to go is the adoption a well designed class AB integrated amplifier, like Luxman L-509 (bipolar output) or Accuphase E-460 (Mosfet output).

Hi Audio Maniac,

You're absolutely right and that's why I discounted the Perreaux.

Your other suggestions make sense, all be it a bit out of my price range, but I'm trying a MF AMS35I at the end of next week... whether or not it sounds better the than IA-4 remains to be heard.

Cheers

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Roby said:
It provably will sound better, but better enough you will make the change that's for you to determine considering you already have a superb amp IMO....But my guess is it will make you think...a lot.... >)

Cno

Alex

Hi Roby,

I really do love the Sugden, but have heard so much about this damned AMs, I just have to hear it!

If it does suit my set up and sounds markedly better than the IA-4, I will probably change.

One reservation though, someone did mention to me about a questionmark over MF reliability, perhaps Cno can put my mind at rest on that one.

Cheers

Mac

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Roby said:

Cno

Alex

Hi Roby,

I really do love the Sugden, but have heard so much about this damned AMs, I just have to hear it!

If it does suit my set up and sounds markedly better than the IA-4, I will probably change.

One reservation though, someone did mention to me about a questionmark over MF reliability, perhaps Cno can put my mind at rest on that one.

Cheers

Mac

It not my goal to push it, I thought the Sugden was superb An it would have be my first choice if I could have the same conditions on it as on an AMS.

But in my case the price differents was to small considering The Sugden have everything but the AMS IMO have just everything that litle more in every department.

I Keep saying the demo of the sugden is the best I ever been to an I mean it! (may be it came from the speakers >) )

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Macspur said:
Roby said:

Cno

Alex

Hi Roby,

Cheers

Mac

It not my goal to push it, I thought the Sugden was superb An it would have be my first choice if I could have the same conditions on it as on an AMS.

But in my case the price differents was to small considering The Sugden have everything but the AMS IMO have just everything that litle more in every department.

I Keep saying the demo of the sugden is the best I ever been to an I mean it! (may be it came from the speakers >) )

There is always something better. If you have a 5K amp there will be a 10K one that's better. And there you have the hifi merry-go-round.

I think the way a system works together is the key. Mixing and matching various bits and pieces may be fun, but you might go through a lot of components (and time/money!) looking for something "better"...each change affects the balance of the system which then might lead to changes in other areas, and so on...

A better way IMO is to know what sound you want to achieve by listening to different complete systems and then figure out how to get there in terms of components and money required.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
paradiziac said:
Roby said:
Macspur said:
Roby said:

Cno

Alex

Hi Roby,

Cheers

Mac

There is always something better. If you have a 5K amp there will be a 10K one that's better. And there you have the hifi merry-go-round.

I think the way a system works together is the key. Mixing and matching various bits and pieces may be fun, but you might go through a lot of components (and time/money!) looking for something "better"...each change affects the balance of the system which then might lead to changes in other areas, and so on...

A better way IMO is to know what sound you want to achieve by listening to different complete systems and then figure out how to get there in terms of components and money required.

I agree but in my case the differnce was to small, the amount you are wanting to spend for this difference is really personal.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Roby,

Cheers

Mac

As far as I know, the reliability problems were in the past.....The AMS is beautifully built, and has extra warranty over the standard products. It's at least 3 years...but worth checking.

IMO The 35i just does everything noticeably better - pretty much as Acalex and Roby has said.....but it's very individual, and comes down to system and room synergy.

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hi Roby,

Cheers

Mac

As far as I know, the reliability problems were in the past.....The AMS is beautifully built, and has extra warranty over the standard products. It's at least 3 years...but worth checking.

IMO The 35i just does everything noticeably better - pretty much as Acalex and Roby has said.....but it's very individual, and comes down to system and room synergy.

Cno

Ah, thanks for that Cno.

The unit thats coming this week is actually a used product, thus a very good price, but will only have 6 months guarantee.

I will make sure and get it's history before any purchase.

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Ah, thanks for that Cno.

The unit thats coming this week is actually a used product, thus a very good price, but will only have 6 months guarantee.

Cheers

Mac

Mac, I have just checked my records, and when I got mine, the dealer confirmed that there was a 5 year warranty on the AMS range......so may be worth checking if this is transferable!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Ah, thanks for that Cno.

Cheers

Mac

Mac, I have just checked my records, and when I got mine, the dealer confirmed that there was a 5 year warranty on the AMS range......so may be worth checking if this is transferable!

Will do.

Cheers

Mac

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
On the MF site it's mentioned the guarentee is only valid for the first owner :-( so my guess is thats it's more depending of the dealers good will....

Swell

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:

Macspur said:
Hi Audio Maniac,

Your other suggestions make sense, all be it a bit out of my price range, but I'm trying a MF AMS35I at the end of next week... whether or not it sounds better the than IA-4 remains to be heard.

Cheers

Mac

A check with the Perreaux website reveals that the Eloquence series of amplifiers is a class AB design- full class A signal stages with MOSFET high current output..

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Swell said:
Audio Maniac said:

Macspur said:
Hi Audio Maniac,

Cheers

Mac

A check with the Perreaux website reveals that the Eloquence series of amplifiers is a class AB design- full class A signal stages with MOSFET high current output..
OK thanks.

Regardless of that, the Perreaux whilst a very good unit and one I may have kept had I not already owned the Sugden, lacked the airyness and certain amount of depth of the IA-4.

Also, the Perreaux had quite an audible hum omitting from it.

So far, the Electrocompaniet EC5 MKii has come closest to the Sugden, just lacked that bit of sweetness and resolution. If the MF doesn't work for me, I will bide my time and try a pre/power combo from Electro.

Cheers

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
So far, the Electrocompaniet EC5 MKii has come closest to the Sugden, just lacked that bit of sweetness and resolution. If the MF doesn't work for me, I will bide my time and try a pre/power combo from Electro.

Cheers

Mac

Tricky question...if the AMS does work for you, would you still be tempted to try the Pre/Power EC? :read:

The AMS sound is the same as the IA4 just better in every aspect :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts