Perreaux amps

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Anatta

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Any idea of any UK dealers that may do this?

Cheers

Mac

I mentioned some pages back. Check with Analogue Seduction; on their website it says home demos are available on request (bellow the product description).

http://www.analogueseduction.net/ayre-acoustics/ayre-ax-7e-integrated-amplifier.html

Also, should you like it, the price you get in the UK for it is almost the same as the US one as Ayre has a very good commercial agreement with the UK importer, Symmetry, which is able to provide their products without a major UK markup.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Spoke to the dealer re the AMS today... they have offered to rectify the faults at their own expense, but weren't sure if they could do a part ex with the Sugden... will let me know tomorrow.

I'm still not sure what to do for the best, as said before, I think the heat will be a problem and just noticing this evening on certain tracks, the base can get a bit over powering, most of the time it's spot on.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Spoke to the dealer re the AMS today... they have offered to rectify the faults at their own expense, but weren't sure if they could do a part ex with the Sugden... will let me know tomorrow.

I'm still not sure what to do for the best, as said before, I think the heat will be a problem and just noticing this evening on certain tracks, the base can get a bit over powering, most of the time it's spot on.

Mac

That is good news, and a good sign in terms of the dealer.

At £3k it would be tempting indeed, and given the keeness of the dealer to shift it on, it might be the time to hit him for a longer warranty (should be 5 years), now that you have them on the back foot re the damage.......you would feel so much more comfortable, given the abuse it has received!

Difficult question - If you give the performance of the 35i a score of 100%, what % of this would you give the the Sugden, in terms of bass, midrange, treble, transient response, imaging/soundstage, excitement, emotion and naturalness. Nb. If The Sugden is better in any area, it can score over 100%.

When I let the MF go after my home dem, I found that I greatly missed the excitement it generated.

I can't help you on the heat issue, as mine is in a large drafty Victorian room.....in fact the heat is an advantage!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

That is good news, and a good sign in terms of the dealer.

At £3k it would be tempting indeed, and given the keeness of the dealer to shift it on, it might be the time to hit him for a longer warranty (should be 5 years), now that you have them on the back foot re the damage.......you would feel so much more comfortable, given the abuse it has received!

Difficult question - If you give the performance of the 35i a score of 100%, what % of this would you give the the Sugden, in terms of bass, midrange, treble, transient response, imaging/soundstage, excitement, emotion and naturalness. Nb. If The Sugden is better in any area, it can score over 100%.

When I let the MF go after my home dem, I found that I greatly missed the excitement it generated.

I can't help you on the heat issue, as mine is in a large drafty Victorian room.....in fact the heat is an advantage!

Hi Cno,

Difficult question indeed!

I would probably say the base is that bit more controlled, but one would have to take my room acoustics into account and in this respect the Sugden scores 100% To be honest, In every other area it's not that far behind the AMS

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Cno,

Difficult question indeed!

I would probably say the base is that bit more controlled, but one would have to take my room acoustics into account and in this respect the Sugden scores 100% To be honest, In every other area it's not that far behind the AMS

Cheers

Mac

In that case, you mustn't spend more than that improvement is worth to you.....totally obvious, but hard to put a value on!

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have spent the last two days reading this thread and just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed.

I think I speak for everyone when I say you owe it to this thread to try and demo the Electrocompaniet monoblocks soon to finish the Sugden - MF - EC comparison.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
I have spent the last two days reading this thread and just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed.

I think I speak for everyone when I say you owe it to this thread to try and demo the Electrocompaniet monoblocks soon to finish the Sugden - MF - EC comparison.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read and glad you enjoyed it.

I'm not sure about the monoblocks, but I do want to try the EC pre/power combo some time next year.

Mac

iceman16

Macspur said:
Helmut80 said:

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read and glad you enjoyed it.

I'm not sure about the monoblocks, but I do want to try the EC pre/power combo some time next year.

Mac

Hi Mac,

Have you tried the MIT cables yet?

Cheers

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
No Iceman, a bit out of my price range for now unfortunately, but have got my eye on some Acoustic Zen balanced i.c's on Ebay, which are supposed to be very good.

Are you pleased with the MIT's?

Mac

iceman16

Yes Mac very impressed:) They are the most balanced sounding cables I've heard. Now I can differentiate bright from detailed sound. I did'nt pay the premium for the s/c (MIT AVt MA) which I got second hand for £400 and the rrp is £2k+ for 2.5m. :dance:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Yes Mac very impressed:) They are the most balanced sounding cables I've heard. Now I can differentiate bright from detailed sound. I did'nt pay the premium for the s/c (MIT AVt MA) which I got second hand for £400 and the rrp is £2k+ for 2.5m. :dance:

Must admit when I saw the price of those MIT's I did raise my eyebrows... but you certainly got a bargain there!

Mac

iceman16

Mac,

Right I owe you one when you recommend the EMC 1UP and Cno, Electro.

Give the MIT a chance and see or rather hear whats the diff. between bright upfront , laidback and warm, and balanced is all about. My Focal 1028be which were mostly considered as forward sounding..Well not anymore..but the detail was there and more listenable for long period and the timbre of every instrument is to die for.:dance:

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
CNoEvil, Macspur, Roby and all the rest who contributed to this thread - I too enjoyed reading all your postings. I'm soon to buy an IA 4 so your views have been of particular interest to me, so many thanks.

Just to throw another name into the mix, there is another integrated class A amp in roughly the same price range as the AMS 35i which I think is worth a listen - the Accuphase E-560. It puts out 30w, doesn't run quite as hot as other class A amps, sounds fabulous and IMHO looks gorgeous. :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Singslinger said:
CNoEvil, Macspur, Roby and all the rest who contributed to this thread - I too enjoyed reading all your postings. I'm soon to buy an IA 4 so your views have been of particular interest to me, so many thanks. Just to throw another name into the mix, there is another integrated class A amp in roughly the same price range as the AMS 35i which I think is worth a listen - the Accuphase E-560. It puts out 30w, doesn't run quite as hot as other class A amps, sounds fabulous and IMHO looks gorgeous. :cheers:

Always good to hear about other great amps.....let us know it compares against the IA-4.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:
CNoEvil, Macspur, Roby and all the rest who contributed to this thread - I too enjoyed reading all your postings. I'm soon to buy an IA 4 so your views have been of particular interest to me, so many thanks. Just to throw another name into the mix, there is another integrated class A amp in roughly the same price range as the AMS 35i which I think is worth a listen - the Accuphase E-560. It puts out 30w, doesn't run quite as hot as other class A amps, sounds fabulous and IMHO looks gorgeous. :cheers:

Read some great things about Accuphase, a brand that really intrigues me, but never had the opportunity to hear any of their products.

Will you be having a shoot out between the Sugden and

the E560? or have you settled on the IA-4?

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Mac,

Right I owe you one when you recommend the EMC 1UP and Cno, Electro.

Give the MIT a chance and see or rather hear whats the diff. between bright upfront , laidback and warm, and balanced is all about. My Focal 1028be which were mostly considered as forward sounding..Well not anymore..but the detail was there and more listenable for long period and the timbre of every instrument is to die for.:dance:

Iceman, the pleasure is all mine... the fact that you've put together such a superb system and that I've had some input really pleases me.

Thank you for your offer on the other thread, you just enjoy your set up for now and I may take you up on it in the new year... thank you again.

Mac

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Singslinger said:

Read some great things about Accuphase, a brand that really intrigues me, but never had the opportunity to hear any of their products.

Mac

Hi Mac, I've ordered the IA-4, so there's no turning back!

Seriously though, I'm going for the Sugden because I've auditioned it with my speakers and I was drawn to the sound. Also, I think it's a damn fine amp for the money (about 65% the price of the Accuphase and 57% the price of the AMS 35i, both of which are also stunningly good nonetheless) and I like the idea of owning something made by a small, almost boutique manufacturer that doesn't simply make products to fit prevailing trends but instead simple, no frills products that just sound good.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Macspur said:
Singslinger said:

Mac

Seriously though, I'm going for the Sugden because I've auditioned it with my speakers and I was drawn to the sound. Also, I think it's a damn fine amp for the money (about 65% the price of the Accuphase and 57% the price of the AMS 35i, both of which are also stunningly good nonetheless) and I like the idea of owning something made by a small, almost boutique manufacturer that doesn't simply make products to fit prevailing trends but instead simple, no frills products that just sound good.

Yeah I totally agree. IIRC, someone on here bought the Sugden monoblocks and pre-amp and got invited to the Sugden factory, how cool is that?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
Singslinger said:
Macspur said:
Singslinger said:

Mac

Yeah I totally agree. IIRC, someone on here bought the Sugden monoblocks and pre-amp and got invited to the Sugden factory, how cool is that?

Yes, I read on another forum about someone who was interested in buying the Sugden A 21 SE. The company actually loaned him one to audition at home. Needless to say, he bought the amp.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Macspur said:
Singslinger said:

Mac

Spot on Singslinger.

I know you won't regret your purchase... just keep us posted as and when you upgrade your source.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but just wanted to make aware, whoever's interested,

I have taken the plunge and moved on my beloved Sugden and will be receiving an Accuphase E350 next week.

As many will know I've been dabbling with a variety of cables, isolation and room treatment solutions, but quite honestly the way that was heading in terms of cost, at this moment in time, I couldn't justify it .

This is a blind purchase, but from what I've read and from conversations I've had, this should be a step up in performance... The Accuphase does have tone controls which could be one way of taming my slight boom issue, plus it has an excellent headphone amp built in.

I'd be kidding myself if I said I wasn't a little nervous, as I really do like the IA-4, but as you can see from this thread, I have been looking to change it for a while now and yes it will have to be a special amp to better it... time will tell.

Mac

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow, big news. Good luck with that, look forward to hearing how you go.

Were you able to do trade-in on the Sudgen?

Didn't consider the Electro to match your CDP?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Congrats Mac - I'm sure you'll enjoy the Accuphase paired with your Harbeths. Let us know how you like it once it's bedded in and you've had time to get accustomed to the sound. :cheers:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Congrats Mac - I'm sure you'll enjoy the Accuphase paired with your Harbeths. Let us know how you like it once it's bedded in and you've had time to get accustomed to the sound. :cheers:

Sure will Singslinger... did PM you over on PFM a few days ago.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts