Perreaux amps

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
843
3
18,540
Visit site
Hi,

I've been offered the Perreaux Eloquence 150I in exchange for my Sugden Masterclass IA-4.

Would this be a wise move, or one I'd live to regret?

I'm generally happy with the Sugden, but somewhat concerned with the amount of juice it uses.

The only other intergrateds I'd consider are LFD, or Lavardin.

Cheers

Mac
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
13
0
Visit site
Hi Mac,

I haven't heard the Perreaux, but good as it looks on paper, I'm not sure that it wouldn't be a sideways move.....but worth a listen I suppose.

You probably know what I'm going to say next....Don't do anything until you hear a 35i. :shifty:
 
T

the record spot

Guest
Heard the Perreaux last year at Audio Emotion by coincidence. Very very impressive amp - but not cheap!
small-logo.png
 
T

the record spot

Guest
Indeed; think AE had theirs on for around £4,500 or so.
small-logo.png
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
843
3
18,540
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
the record spot said:
Indeed; think AE had theirs on for around £4,500 or so.
small-logo.png

Do you think it would be a sideways move from the Sugden?

Would be interested to know that too.

Certainly the Perreaux brand new is a much more expensive machine RRP at just under 6K.

The unit I've been offered is pre owned and comes with a full 5 year warrantee.

Cheers

Mac
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
13
0
Visit site
Macspur said:
Certainly the Perreaux brand new is a much more expensive machine RRP at just under 6K.

The unit I've been offered is pre owned and comes with a full 5 year warrantee.

Cheers

Mac

It costs that in Dollars in the US ($7k with Dac), so I wonder how much of that is getting it over here.

Edit. Are you sure that price isn't for the 250i? Here is the cost in Euros:
http://www.espacehifi.com/150i-perreaux-serie-eloquence-integrated-amplifier-p-953.html
 
T

the record spot

Guest
CnoEvil said:
the record spot said:
Indeed; think AE had theirs on for around £4,500 or so.
small-logo.png

Do you think it would be a sideways move from the Sugden?

Never heard the Sugden Cno, but it was impressive and comes with an excellent onboard DAC, albeit in a setup unfamiliar to me (about £15k worth I think). Sounded good, but if the dealer is any good, they'll offer the OP a home demo and return option for that money which would be critical if it were my money - needs to be an escape route if the thing doesn't suit. If it's from the Audio Emotion guys, they're good to deal with and the five year warranty is a good one.
 
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Certainly the Perreaux brand new is a much more expensive machine RRP at just under 6K.

The unit I've been offered is pre owned and comes with a full 5 year warrantee.

Cheers

Mac

It costs that in Dollars in the US ($7k with Dac), so I wonder how much of that is getting it over here.

Edit. Are you sure that price isn't for the 250i? Here is the cost in Euros: http://www.espacehifi.com/150i-perreaux-serie-eloquence-integrated-amplifier-p-953.html

He's probably right. AudioEmotion quotes RRP as £5945 with DAC and phono board fitted, it doesn't quote a price for the pre-owned one they are flogging.
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
843
3
18,540
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi Mac, I haven't heard the Perreaux, but good as it looks on paper, I'm not sure that it wouldn't be a sideways move.....but worth a listen I suppose. You probably know what I'm going to say next....Don't do anything until you hear a 35i. :shifty:

Hi Cno,

Oops the AMS slipped my mind, but to be honest I can't find anywhere to get a home demo and I'd be in the same boat with regards to the juice it uses.

It's AE who have made me the offer, but have a few other people interested and given me first refusal, so on this occasion unwilling to give a home demo.

Cheers

Mac
 

Roby

Well-known member
Jan 17, 2012
75
10
18,545
Visit site
Hello,

I still have to d'emo Perreaux, but I was more thinking about the 250i. I shure it's a great amp but the reason of my hesitation is that they are realy expensive an that for that kind of cash there might be better alternative on thing for shure they got look's but that's personal. 8)

I demoed the Lavardin Great amp but could't realy convince me in the end can't really tell what but I was missing something.

Beside the amp sounded great from the momment we changed the speaker cables ( speakers where the Sonos Faber MG). But oke we used the Lavardin cables, Anyway I think what cold my temper is that we needed cables costing 600€/M to get (used 2x 2 M costing 2400+-) the trilling sound I'm afther....honestly I gues you better of putting that kind of money in my amp, sertenly if you consider that I need 2x 4M :-(.

LFD I heard a few month's ago an that was impresive :O It was smooth an was attacking when needed. altrue somtimes I had the feeling it was loosing a bit of grip (detail) in the High....

But hey it was a long time ago... An what I remember from the demo is that I came out of that shop realy impressed...

Oké it's not looking impresive. I thing it look's a bit like toy (that's me). Personaly I'm not considering it becuase I heard other thinks that fit's more my personal taste.

Question out of curiousity as I'm upgrading my system aswell:

I have demo of the IA4 saturday morning so I don't know how it sound. Except the consumtion, Do you feel somthing is missing? an if you consider the AMS it wouldn't change much I guess?

I'm seriously considering the AMS the sugden would be a slightly cheaper alternatve so I'm intrested in your finding's

Because even if I'm know considering the AMS I still have in the corner of my mind

The M6i (for me unbeatable at the price) an the M6 separate combo, I'm still waiting for the call to audition that. An than the Sugden if it is convincing on Saturday.

Btw The dealer where I go listen to the Sugden sugest to also listen to the amp with Proarc D18/28 What do you think?

Apperantly those brands work to getter to test thier gear so I guess it should be a great match....
 

Roby

Well-known member
Jan 17, 2012
75
10
18,545
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Certainly the Perreaux brand new is a much more expensive machine RRP at just under 6K.

The unit I've been offered is pre owned and comes with a full 5 year warrantee.

Cheers

Mac

It costs that in Dollars in the US ($7k with Dac), so I wonder how much of that is getting it over here.

Edit. Are you sure that price isn't for the 250i? Here is the cost in Euros: http://www.espacehifi.com/150i-perreaux-serie-eloquence-integrated-amplifier-p-953.html

Here In Belgium it was arround 4600€ without Dac or phonostage for 150I an arround 1800€ more for the 250I at least when I informed 2 or 3 month's ago, I suspect you can get a 10% of....But it stay's expensive....
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
13
0
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Cno,

Oops the AMS slipped my mind, but to be honest I can't find anywhere to get a home demo and I'd be in the same boat with regards to the juice it uses.

It's AE who have made me the offer, but have a few other people interested and given me first refusal, so on this occasion unwilling to give a home demo.

Cheers

Mac

Mac, is there something about the sound you are trying to improve, or are you happy making a sideways(ish) move to reduce power consumption.

If power consumption is a big issue, it would rule out the 35i, as it has been measured pulling over 400W from the mains, which would almost certainly be worse than the IA-4.....I suppose I am asking if power consumption is as big an issue as ultimate sound quality.

IMO Once you have tasted Class A, it is very hard to get anything else to quite hit the spot.....though I think you are looking in the right places.

If you go for the Lavardin (IS Ref / IT), I think you have to budget for their own cables.

I think the Perreaux looks to have all the right credentials, but seems to be very expensive in Sterling. This is how it fairs in -

Dollars: 150i - $5999 (£3770); 250i - $8999 (£5660); Optional Dac - $999 (£630); Optional Phono Stage - $499 (£314)

In Euros: 150i - €4790 (£3950); 250i - €6890 (£5684); Optional Dac - €690 (£569); Optional Phono Stage - €390 (£322) Nb Roby's prices are cheaper still!

Have you also considered Audio Analogue or Electrocompaniet?
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
13
0
Visit site
Roby said:
I have demo of the IA4 saturday morning so I don't know how it sound. Except the consumtion, Do you feel somthing is missing? an if you consider the AMS it wouldn't change much I guess?

I'm seriously considering the AMS the sugden would be a slightly cheaper alternatve so I'm intrested in your finding's

Because even if I'm know considering the AMS I still have in the corner of my mind

The M6i (for me unbeatable at the price) an the M6 separate combo, I'm still waiting for the call to audition that. An than the Sugden if it is convincing on Saturday.

Btw The dealer where I go listen to the Sugden sugest to also listen to the amp with Proarc D18/28 What do you think?

Apperantly those brands work to getter to test thier gear so I guess it should be a great match....

I look forward to your view of the Sugden, which I think is a great choice if you feel the AMS 35i is a little too much to spend. I would rather have it than the M6i, but compared to the 35i, its bass doesn't have quite the punch, power and definition, and its mid-range is not quite as "liquid".

Your dealer is right about the synergy with Proac.....I think you should be in for a lovely musical sound.
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
843
3
18,540
Visit site
Hi Cno,

Certainly the amount of power consumption is a big factor in my thinking behind the change of amp. As with everyone in this economic climate, we're all trying to reduce our monthly outgoings and electricity seems to be one area that's on the increase.

As for a sideways step, without hearing it first I really can't say if that would be the case with the Perreaux. Any change in component, I am looking for more depth and realism to the music... the Sugden has a

large airy soundstageand beautiful clarity, but does lack the depth I crave.

As it happens, the Eloquence may not be any good for me anyway. It has an onscreen menu from which you have to access input changes and being blind, I would find this difficult to operate. I have Emailed Perreaux direct for more details to clarify its operation/functionality.

Roby, above is a breif description of the IA-4's SQ, but to add, it has great musicality. ProAc D18 is a great match for the Sugden... I did have them on home demo and the only reason I didn't keep them was down to room acoustics. My listening room is quite small and the base was a bit too over powering for my liking.

Cheers

Mac
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
843
3
18,540
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hi Cno,

The Sugden has a large airy soundstageand beautiful clarity, but does lack the depth I crave.

It's possible a change in source could give you this.

You're on my wavelength Cno. I was hoping to be demoing the Rega ISIS valve version this week, but the dealer thought it was that good, decided to keep it for himself!

cry.gif


There is another ISIS available, but not the valve version, but does receive great reviews nevertheless.

Cheers

Mac
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
13
0
Visit site
Macspur said:
You're on my wavelength Cno. I was hoping to be demoing the Rega ISIS valve version this week, but the dealer thought it was that good, decided to keep it for himself!

There is another ISIS available, but not the valve version, but does receive great reviews nevertheless.

Cheers

Mac

That would do the job nicely.....especially the valve version (is it £1k more?).

Have you ruled out the likes of an Akurate DS, which is outstandingly good for £4.5k (or even better, a Renew DS - made from the insides of the old Klimax, and sounds better than the ADS)?
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
843
3
18,540
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
You're on my wavelength Cno. I was hoping to be demoing the Rega ISIS valve version this week, but the dealer thought it was that good, decided to keep it for himself!

There is another ISIS available, but not the valve version, but does receive great reviews nevertheless.

Cheers

Mac

That would do the job nicely.....especially the valve version (is it £1k more?).

Have you ruled out the likes of an Akurate DS, which is outstandingly good for £4.5k (or even better, a Renew DS - made from the insides of the old Klimax, and sounds better than the ADS)?

Hi Cno,

I think I'd have the same old problem with the DS, in terms of accessibility for a blind person.

The ISIS valve was going for£3,500 including my Naim as part ex.

Cheers

Mac
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
13
0
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Cno,

I think I'd have the same old problem with the DS, in terms of accessibility for a blind person.

The ISIS valve was going for£3,500 including my Naim as part ex.

Cheers

Mac

Apologies; I assumed that whatever enabled you to operate a PC, would allow you to operate Kinsky Desktop. :oops:

That certainly looks a tempting price, and IMO would have made a stunning difference to your already wonderfully euphonic system.
 

Anatta

New member
Apr 6, 2012
0
0
0
Visit site
Mac, see if you can audition the Ayre AX7e (£2.500), T+A PA1260R (£3.000, stocked by AE also)) and McIntosh MA6300 (£4000); all have a button for each input and low power consumption.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts