PERFORMANCE BETWEEN HIGH END & BUDGET HIFI

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hifi is not all about the retrieval of details. If you got a system which is too revealing, this could also distract from enjoyment of the music. So basing a good music system on the retriveval of an Elvis song which was not recorded properly due wrong mic placement is very lame indeed.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
omnibeard said:
I like S.Coates a lot - I think he's very funny.

I like a man confident enough in his sexuality to admit that he drives a hairdresser's car.

I like a man sure enough of himself to openly admit his musical ignorance.

And above all I love a man who works in the arms industry and likes to shout about it.

Phwoar.

She's a lucky girl this classically trained musician with a Steinway Model B.

And to think I managed not to say any of those things!

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
So basing a good music system on the retriveval of an Elvis song which was not recorded properly due wrong mic placement is very lame indeed.

IMO. A well chosen high-end system should have stunning detail without losing it's musicality or becoming analytical.....in fact it would be a must for me.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
So basing a good music system on the retriveval of an Elvis song which was not recorded properly due wrong mic placement is very lame indeed.

IMO. A well chosen system should have stunning detail without losing it's musicality or becoming analytical.....in fact it would be a must for me.

I'm not sure about that, true high fidelity would by its definition be revealing. Whether or not you like the truth of the recording and prefer a little more veiled a presentation is down to choice though.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
I'm not sure about that, true high fidelity would by its definition be revealing. Whether or not you like the truth of the recording and prefer a little more veiled a presentation is down to choice though.

There are some very high-end systems that are revealing and euphonic eg. £500,000 Audio Note one. This is back to the old argument of whether you are faithful to the source or the real thing. Most people would consider the AN system as high-end hifi......but I take your point!

T

the record spot

If anyone's interested and has Spotify, the album is on there. Elvis' piano playing can be heard rolling behind the track. This was on my ills Touch with Sennheiser CX300 headphones.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Overdose said:

There are some very high-end systems that are revealing and euphonic eg. £500,000 Audio Note one. This is back to the old argument of whether you are faithful to the source or the real thing. Most people would consider the AN system as high-end hifi......but I take your point!

I think that the best you can hope for is true to the recording. Anyway, that's semantics and we'll be here all night. ;)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
If anyone's interested and has Spotify, the album is on there. Elvis' piano playing can be heard rolling behind the track. This was on my ills Touch with Sennheiser CX300 headphones.

I have just tried the 'try before you buy' mp3 on Amazon of this track and can clearly hear it on the works Pc monitor speakers. Who'd have thunk it, a hifi monitor, it doesn't even look that expensive.

:grin:

T

the record spot

S.Coates said:
the record spot said:
S.Coates said:
You can however hear the vestiges of Elvis playing through leakage on the slapback dry echo tape - but you need a damned transparent and revealing hifi to hear it. You could argue if your hifi can't produce the piano, then it's not hifi as it's on the tape. I guarantee few hifis can reveal it...

Or your hearing's not so good and you miss it. Anyway, I've ordered the CD (the non-Copy Protection one). Presuambly then, you've been round most hifis in order to be able to make that kind of statement? I'd suggest you may be a tad more over-confident about the abilities of some "lesser" equipment. Especially today, or of the last twenty years.

is this supposed to be a serious response? I'm an engineer who works on acoustic submarine weapons systems...My father was a recording engineer, built hi-fi equipment and was an expert in concert hall acoustics - so I've been around hifi and music all my life. I'm also an expert on Elvis recordings sessions (intimately familiar with every take, every restoration process, every bit of sound that is and isn't on the master types or newest generation of copy available) -I have 20,000 Elvis albums and cds and have engaged at length with Ernst Jørgensen and the world's greatest recording engineer Vic Anesini...

I'm more of a Barry Diament fan myself though I liked Vic's work on the Stevie Ray Vaughan remasters. As for the rest, good for you. Sounds interesting. Been into HiFi going on 35 years now. Not an engineer but am a business analyst so kind of question stuff for a living. Your post is just a busman's holiday ...!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:

Thanks for that, I've got the CD coming and will try it on my un-hifi. I might even give it a go on my iPod with my Senns.

Oh, and was that Spotify premium, or that much more compressed and inferior free version? ;)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

IMO. A well chosen system should have stunning detail without losing it's musicality or becoming analytical.....in fact it would be a must for me.

beat me to it CNO! :grin: I agree completely. one isn't the enemy of the other. if it is there's something wrong with the gear.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

beat me to it CNO! :grin: I agree completely. one isn't the enemy of the other. if it is there's something wrong with the gear.

You know, earlier I thought that you might have missed omnibeards irony. Now I'm sure of it.;)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
John Duncan said:
So this track that can only be heard on hifi whose capacitors have been rolled on the thighs of Venezualan virgins can be heard on a 320k Spotify track through 20 quid in ears?

Well yes and of course LG Flatron LCD monitors

I'm gonna try it on my local swimming pools horns.

T

the record spot

John Duncan said:
So this track that can only be heard on hifi whose capacitors have been rolled on the thighs of Venezualan virgins can be heard on a 320k Spotify track through 20 quid in ears?

£30 I'll have you know...

Of course, this could be a different master, mine was the 2004, so it may be that our learned friend was thinking of another or Elvis' ivory tinkling skills can be heard on a few.

Of course the Touch and the Sennheiser earphones do make for a very revealing combination.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

You know, earlier I thought that you might have missed omnibeards irony. Now I'm sure of it.;)

:doh:

still, I stand by what I said. he does seem to know what he's talking about.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:

I've just tried it with the low bit rate option selected in Spotify. I can still hear the piano even when listening to a 160kbps stream going through my very unaudiophile gaming PC.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Easy to answer this. July 21st 1955 - Elvis laid down the monumental Trying To Get To You. One of the worst quality surviving Sun tapes, the master no longer exists (some releases have used a mint Sun 78 as the source) but Sony has restored this as much as possible, and has created a new digital master from a transter to an RCA IPS 30 tape, however, it's still full of compression from tape wear, age and rubbish DR compression applied by RCA in 1956 for release on the eponymous LP "Elvis Presley'. Trying To Get To You is the first Elvis recording to feature a piano - played by Elvis himself - but it is inaudible as it wasn't miked correctly (and not erased by Sam Phillips as was long thought). You can however hear the vestiges of Elvis playing through leakage on the slapback dry echo tape - but you need a damned transparent and revealing hifi to hear it. You could argue if your hifi can't produce the piano, then it's not hifi as it's on the tape. I guarantee few hifis can reveal it...

And I can hear it - not sure why I'm feeling so pleased with myself.

TRENDING THREADS