PERFORMANCE BETWEEN HIGH END & BUDGET HIFI

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
S.Coates said:
Overdose said:
S.Coates said:
Don't think it will make any difference to be honest - although remastered in DSD, I don't think it's available on anything other than CD, and won't be released on any of the Elvis SACD releases over the coming months....

2005 edition of the album on RCA/BMG is now on its way. I shall report back (perhaps on a new thread so as to not resurect this one).

Which album? 'Elvis At Sun?' That's All Right (not from the master either though unfortunately as that's lost), Good Rocking Tonight. Mystery Train, Trying To Get To You, Baby Let's Play House, the incredible slow blues verson of I'm Left Your Right She's Gone and the extraordinary vocal on Blue Moon..the genesis of an absolute vocal and interpretative genius, one whose ineffable genius has sadly been sometimes overshadowed by commerical success, image and ubiquity... Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006TL9C8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

'Elvis Presley'
1. Blue Suede Shoes2. I'm Counting On You3. I Got A Woman4. One-Sided Love Affair5. I Love You Because6. Just Because7. Tutti Frutti8. Trying To Get To You9. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)10. I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')11. Blue Moon12. Money Honey13. Heartbreak Hotel14. I Was The One15. "Lawdy, Miss Clawdy"16. "Shake, Rattle And Roll"17. My Baby Left Me18. "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You"

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
S.Coates said:
Overdose said:
S.Coates said:
Don't think it will make any difference to be honest - although remastered in DSD, I don't think it's available on anything other than CD, and won't be released on any of the Elvis SACD releases over the coming months....

2005 edition of the album on RCA/BMG is now on its way. I shall report back (perhaps on a new thread so as to not resurect this one).

Which album? 'Elvis At Sun?' That's All Right (not from the master either though unfortunately as that's lost), Good Rocking Tonight. Mystery Train, Trying To Get To You, Baby Let's Play House, the incredible slow blues verson of I'm Left Your Right She's Gone and the extraordinary vocal on Blue Moon..the genesis of an absolute vocal and interpretative genius, one whose ineffable genius has sadly been sometimes overshadowed by commerical success, image and ubiquity... Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006TL9C8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

'Elvis Presley'
1. Blue Suede Shoes2. I'm Counting On You3. I Got A Woman4. One-Sided Love Affair5. I Love You Because6. Just Because7. Tutti Frutti8. Trying To Get To You9. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)10. I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')11. Blue Moon12. Money Honey13. Heartbreak Hotel14. I Was The One15. "Lawdy, Miss Clawdy"16. "Shake, Rattle And Roll"17. My Baby Left Me18. "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You"

Ok - So in place of some of the other tracks I mentioned, you'll have the equals in My Baby Left Me (as good as anything Elvis or anyone did in the 50s), Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Blue Suede Shoes...

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
S.Coates said:
You can however hear the vestiges of Elvis playing through leakage on the slapback dry echo tape - but you need a damned transparent and revealing hifi to hear it. You could argue if your hifi can't produce the piano, then it's not hifi as it's on the tape. I guarantee few hifis can reveal it...

Or your hearing's not so good and you miss it. Anyway, I've ordered the CD (the non-Copy Protection one). Presuambly then, you've been round most hifis in order to be able to make that kind of statement? I'd suggest you may be a tad more over-confident about the abilities of some "lesser" equipment. Especially today, or of the last twenty years.

is this supposed to be a serious response? I'm an engineer who works on acoustic submarine weapons systems...My father was a recording engineer, built hi-fi equipment and was an expert in concert hall acoustics - so I've been around hifi and music all my life. I'm also an expert on Elvis recordings sessions (intimately familiar with every take, every restoration process, every bit of sound that is and isn't on the master types or newest generation of copy available) -I have 20,000 Elvis albums and cds and have engaged at length with Ernst Jørgensen and the world's greatest recording engineer Vic Anesini...

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
I can't help noticing, but you appear to be considerably, well, practically everything-er than moy.

I have a good and happy life, plus have a relatively priveleged background (my career doesn't and can't support my passions and interests - a Snr WEO doesn't earn a fortune!) but I'm not apologising for that. If people want to make imbecilic comments along the lines of my hearing being defective, well, says more about them than it does me...most notably, their complete ignorance on the subject and general puerility...

John Duncan

I don't think it was an imbecilic comment at all.

hearing4.jpg

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
The best system to my ears then (and best so far) was comprised of Leben cs300 amp (some E2200), Golden Ear Technology Tritton II speakers (now E3000) and Oracle CDP.

I agree on the SQ of the Tritons, but why do they make them this ugly? Not a chance they'd make it to my living-room before Mrs. DocG passes away :shifty: ! Mr. Gross would have a bestseller, if he covered them with a fine veneer and added £500 to the price tag...

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:

hearing4.jpg

Yes, it's imbecillic - a few minutes searching on the internet would have provided him with a modicum of information if he didn't already have some - and, if not, why bother making a comment on something you have no knowlegde of? Elvis is the most famous and successful recording artist who ever lived - his recording sessions have been poured over for years, particualry the Sun Sessions. Virtually every facet of information relating to these sessions has been available for years - including that the piano on Trying To Get To You was not miked correctly, therefore wasn't recorded but that there is leakage from it on the slapback tape - as is the case with Elvis' off-mike vocal on the Sun rehearsal of How Do You Think I Feel

RCA never bothered to correct Trying To Get To You as it has always been largely inaudible - especially with DR compression and EQ applied to the release by RCA in 1956 owing to make the sound 'punchier' for AM radio and limited range and mainly mono hi-fi equipment - it wasn't until 1957 that Elvis was recorded in binaural.. However, it is audible (but still difficult to spot) if you know what to look for and how the sound manifests itself on the tape...as long as your hi-fi is capable of revealing it...

I know eff all about fissile engineering but maybe I'll suggest out of complete ignorance and ridicule to those who do, that their hearing may be defective...nothing do do with anything, ie exactly the same as the original imbecillic comment!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
S.Coates said:
John Duncan said:
I can't help noticing, but you appear to be considerably, well, practically everything-er than moy.

I have a good and happy life, plus have a relatively priveleged background (my career doesn't and can't support my passions and interests - a Snr WEO doesn't earn a fortune!) but I'm not apologising for that. If people want to make imbecilic comments along the lines of my hearing being defective, well, says more about them than it does me...most notably, their complete ignorance on the subject and general puerility...

I don't suppose you have ever bumped into forum members 'pitcairn' and 'davrid', have you?

I reckon you three might get on quite well. ;)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
S.Coates said:
John Duncan said:

I don't suppose you have ever bumped into forum members 'pitcairn' and 'davrid', have you?

I reckon you three might get on quite well. ;)

can you take the mac mini out of your sig please. I'm not sure its a Hi- Fi product.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
well I' m a bit disappointed that all my music is stored on a non - hifi product and I didn't realise it, until now. I must start looking around for another piece of kit that can stream pretty much all the worlds radio stations, Spotify, 250 g of lossless files e.t.c.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
S.Coates said:
the record spot said:
S.Coates said:
You can however hear the vestiges of Elvis playing through leakage on the slapback dry echo tape - but you need a damned transparent and revealing hifi to hear it. You could argue if your hifi can't produce the piano, then it's not hifi as it's on the tape. I guarantee few hifis can reveal it...

Or your hearing's not so good and you miss it. Anyway, I've ordered the CD (the non-Copy Protection one). Presuambly then, you've been round most hifis in order to be able to make that kind of statement? I'd suggest you may be a tad more over-confident about the abilities of some "lesser" equipment. Especially today, or of the last twenty years.

is this supposed to be a serious response? I'm an engineer who works on acoustic submarine weapons systems...My father was a recording engineer, built hi-fi equipment and was an expert in concert hall acoustics - so I've been around hifi and music all my life. I'm also an expert on Elvis recordings sessions (intimately familiar with every take, every restoration process, every bit of sound that is and isn't on the master types or newest generation of copy available) -I have 20,000 Elvis albums and cds and have engaged at length with Ernst Jørgensen and the world's greatest recording engineer Vic Anesini...

I have to say that you do come across as "showing off"! The 20 grand hifi, flash car, flash girlfriend, sexy sounding job, knowing famous people (I assume they are famous, I've never heard of them), thousands of CDs ...

At the end of the day though, your ears are no better than anybody else's and your opinion of what constitutes hifi counts no more than someone who listens to music on their phone. A little bit of humility goes a long way and you do yourself no favours with the manner that you post. There are lots of people who post here who have very little money but are incredibly serious about hifi and their music and they get a lot of respect from me and I think most readers of this forum because of this.

Chris

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I like S.Coates a lot - I think he's very funny.

I like a man confident enough in his sexuality to admit that he drives a hairdresser's car.

I like a man sure enough of himself to openly admit his musical ignorance.

And above all I love a man who works in the arms industry and likes to shout about it.

Phwoar.

She's a lucky girl this classically trained musician with a Steinway Model B.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
omnibeard said:
I like S.Coates a lot - I think he's very funny.

I like a man confident enough in his sexuality to admit that he drives a hairdresser's car.

I like a man sure enough of himself to openly admit his musical ignorance.

And above all I love a man who works in the arms industry and likes to shout about it.

Phwoar.

She's a lucky girl this classically trained musician with a Steinway Model B.

I'm joining you on this one.

I like the fact when that S.Coates states something he can actually back it up with some credible evidence. meaning; he knows what he's talking about.

unfortunately that can't be said of everyone.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
S.Coates said:
I'm an engineer who works on acoustic submarine weapons systems

Do you mean acoustic submarines with weapons or acoustic weapons for submarines?

I hope it's the former because that'd be awesome cool in a James Bond kinda way. 8)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
S.Coates said:
John Duncan said:

hearing4.jpg

Yes, it's imbecillic - a few minutes searching on the internet would have provided him with a modicum of information if he didn't already have some - and, if not, why bother making a comment on something you have no knowlegde of? Elvis is the most famous and successful recording artist who ever lived - his recording sessions have been poured over for years, particualry the Sun Sessions. Virtually every facet of information relating to these sessions has been available for years - including that the piano on Trying To Get To You was not miked correctly, therefore wasn't recorded but that there is leakage from it on the slapback tape - as is the case with Elvis' off-mike vocal on the Sun rehearsal of How Do You Think I Feel

RCA never bothered to correct Trying To Get To You as it has always been largely inaudible - especially with DR compression and EQ applied to the release by RCA in 1956 owing to make the sound 'punchier' for AM radio and limited range and mainly mono hi-fi equipment - it wasn't until 1957 that Elvis was recorded in binaural.. However, it is audible (but still difficult to spot) if you know what to look for and how the sound manifests itself on the tape...as long as your hi-fi is capable of revealing it...

I know eff all about fissile engineering but maybe I'll suggest out of complete ignorance and ridicule to those who do, that their hearing may be defective...nothing do do with anything, ie exactly the same as the original imbecillic comment!

yes MJ was the greatest.

TRENDING THREADS