perfect match for B&W 685

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Almost decided to buy B&W 685 but... what are your preferred matches (integrated amp and cd) for them?
Are pioneer a-a6j and pd-d6j a good option?
Thnks!

A

Anonymous

They are a nicely rounded speaker, lean towards the warm side. The Pioneer would be fine, I believe it's fairly powerful (70w?).

Alot of amps will sound good with them though so if you can get to a hifi shop and try some out.ÿ

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi oedi.

I have the exact same Pioneer combo with a set of 685`s. Very happy indeed. Haven`t noticed anything in particular that doesn`t sound at least decent. Most stuff sounds excellent. There isn`t an abundance of power with the amp but still enough I`d say to give the 685`s a good workout and certainly plenty enough for my house. Everything holds well together even when you raise the volume to a level your neighbours might object to! Bit worried about bass when I first started putting setup together but it actually sounds pretty good. Certainly a very nice midrange with plenty of detail. Would recommend.

A

Anonymous

thnks survivor.
I'll try to listen to this combination whenever I can.
:D

A

Anonymous

Another consideration would be a Rega Apollo CD Player and a Roksan Kandy LIII amp (mid-range) or a Marantz CD6002 / Rotel RA-04 combo (budget) - IMO.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What music are you into?

What kind of room would this system be going into and do you already have speaker stands; if so, what are they?

IMO the Pioneer set-up is good; but on a par with the Marantz separates.

IMO; if you can, get the NAD C352 integrated amp and the NAD C542 CDP; if not look @ the NAD C355BEE amp along with the NAD C542 CDP.

Excellent combo and gives quality sound and superb 'clout' for the money.

If youre fine with2nd hand separates i can also highly recommend the Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 integrated amps with either the Arcam Alpha 9 CDP or an Arcam CD72 CDP.

Possibly also take a look at the Arcam DiVA A85 integrated amp with the Arcam CD72 CDP as well.

A

Anonymous

I'd place this stereo in my bedroom, which is about 6x3 mts.
I do listen to pop-rock music, jazz, classic, electro... every kind of music, but the fact that It'll be placed in my bedroom, and that I will listen to it mostly at nights, makes me avoid to play it loud. I mean... no extra power is needed unless these speakers ask for it... Do they?
Thnks!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
oedi:I'd place this stereo in my bedroom, which is about 6x3 mts.
I do listen to pop-rock music, jazz, classic, electro... every kind of music, but the fact that It'll be placed in my bedroom, and that I will listen to it mostly at nights, makes me avoid to play it loud. I mean... no extra power is needed unless these speakers ask for it... Do they?
Thnks!

Looking at your tastes in music (fairly similar to mine bar pop music) i'd definitly consider the NAD C355BEE integrated amp and the NAD C542 CDP. Both very good items (if you're happy with quality 2nd hand items (or if you can find it new still on the internet) have a look for the NAD C352 integrated amp as well.

IMO the Pioneer set-up wont give you the best sound that would make the B&W's sing at their best compared to the NAD separates.

I do however feel that the Roksan Kandy LIII integrated amp along with a decent CDP (Cyrus 6/NAD C542/Arcam CD72/73 CDP) would also be very good partners.

Are you dead set on brand new items or will you look at 2nd hand separates (i.e. eBay etc...)

A lot of money can be saved via eBay by buying quality 2nd hand items which in turn saves you money for decent speaker cable, interconnects and speaker stands etc...

A

Anonymous

2nd hand items are ok for me. No problem with that. I'll try to audition nads and B&W. Not the first person to recommend me nad stuff... Thank you!

A

Anonymous

The recent head to head in WHS&V made a point of highlighting the 685s ability to match just about anything whilst also not being fussy about placement. Just find something you like component wise ( the combo Evil wolf mentioned are excellent) and worry little about matching to the 685s. For what its worth they who should be obeyed recommended the Marantz 6002 pairing.

A

Anonymous

I can audition nad+685, but not marantz+6002. Maybe it's too risky to buy that combo without havind listend to it. Did you?

A

Anonymous

andyb190: For what its worth they who should be obeyed recommended the Marantz 6002 pairing.

I was referring to the WHS&V teams recommendation for pairing these speakers in this months issue. I don't have these as the room I have placed my stereo in is too small 4mx4m(and right next to my main tv room) but I know Richer Sounds sell them (40 quid of each ) so might be worth a look if you get the chance.

A

Anonymous

andyb190:
andyb190: For what its worth they who should be obeyed recommended the Marantz 6002 pairing.
(40 quid of each )

Edit; 40 quid off each

A

Anonymous

Mmmm. Not a bad price... Thnks for your help!!

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Or try ebay.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marantz-CD6002-Hi-End-Hifi-Seperates-CD-Player_W0QQitemZ260226112070QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

This ones B stock so maybe not worth the 21 quid discount...depends on your budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts