Peach tree nova 300 vs parasound halo vs rotel RA 1592

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Considering that all three retail around the USD 2500 mark in the USA. Which would be pacy and rythmic. I have the concept 40's which are laid back. So looking for something with pace and dynamics. IAM also having problems with too much bass, probably because of my low power blue sound powernode. So I was also considering the damping factor of these amps. And the Peachtree has the highest at 1000.

The Peachtree also has loop in / out to add a minidsp for room correction if required.

But the rotel looks the most impressive. But never heard a rotel before, and most people online seem to believe that rotel have a thin sound.

The parasound halo integrated is supposed to be the least powerful here at 160W. And also does not look much. But it has good reviews here on whathifi.

It is unlikely that I can audition them with concept 40's in the USA. They might have a different spread of speakers there. So any experience with their house sound will be most helpful in deciding. Thanks.

rchinn

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
This is a good question, I would love to see more responses on.

I started off in the same direction, thinking about the Peachtree Nova 300... I posted here and discovered the Lyngdorf 2170, and heard good things about the Parasound, but eventually I decided to save a bit more and go Devialet.

Please let us know what you settle on and how it performs.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't think any of those listed are known for their 'PRAT'. The Halo has good reviews but it is not described as a 'bundle of fun' ... Probably one more for the head than the heart.

Can you audition Naim or Densen? Rega and Cyrus are also worth considering as is Exposure to a lesser extent. Marantz too make nice 'musical' products (as opposed to sounding Hifi ... ueber accurate ... ).

In the end your speakers may simply not suit you or your room.

Oh the joys of Hifi :)

Personally I have never heard a Rotel amplifier I liked. Probably get shot down for that comment.

As you are in the US I would have thought the Parasound was the obvious choice, particularly on sound per dollar, and avoiding import duties. It has tone controls too, which might be useful with what you describe as your requirements.

I'm the first to admit that imports seem more glamorous but it makes no sense financially!

Oran

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I dont think that more damping factor is going to fix problems of too much bass. As I understand once you get to a certain figure of damping factor a bigger number does not benefit you anymore.

Some companies quote huge DF numbers but its marketing IMO.

You either need a bigger room or to change the distance relationship between your speakers and room surfaces.

As neither of those are likely to be options the tone control in the Parasound Halo could be your best friend.

For more money the Classe sigma 2200i has more EQ options than any other piece of kit that I can think of!

Also most AVM amplifiers have bass and treble control. The bass effects below 100Hz.

Hope this helps,

Oran

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Oran said:
I dont think that more damping factor is going to fix problems of too much bass. As I understand once you get to a certain figure of damping factor a bigger number does not benefit you anymore.

Some companies quote huge DF numbers but its marketing IMO.

You either need a bigger room or to change the distance relationship between your speakers and room surfaces.

As neither of those are likely to be options the tone control in the Parasound Halo could be your best friend.

For more money the Classe sigma 2200i has more EQ options than any other piece of kit that I can think of!

Also most AVM amplifiers have bass and treble control. The bass effects below 100Hz.

Hope this helps,

Oran

[/quote

I believe you are correct. I thought the figure was around 80 but its lower than that, I think I read that anything above 40 is rendered unimportant because of other electrical factors including the Xover.

Still, Schmegels have a figure of a thousand or so, in essence infinite ... . Reads good.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Oran..Didn't know that damping factor doesn't really matter over a certain limit. Will consider between the parasound halo and the Peachtree. My stream of thought is as under mentioned :

1) Peachtree - if the bass still seems to be too much and bloaty, will use a mini-dsp to correct for room nodes via the loop out / loop in connections. Besides ,I liked the idea of streaming directly from my iPad due to the dynex tech inside the Peachtree. And save space and money on a dedicated streamer.

2) parasound halo integrated - I could use the tone controls to reduce bass. Or I could use the crossover controls on the back, and use a subwoofer for the bass below 80hz.

IAM presently only thinking of streaming . Haven't seriously considered getting a turn table. Any other points I should consider , apart from the above.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
As you are in the US I would have thought the Parasound was the obvious choice, particularly on sound per dollar, and avoiding import duties.  It has tone controls too, which might be useful with what you describe as your requirements.

I'm the first to admit that imports seem more glamorous but it makes no sense financially!

The latest Peachtree 2.0 nova's are brand new. And supposedly have superb dac. So they are all the rave right now for digital music sources. The first lot has already been sold out.

So, the parasound is being considered mostly for its bass management and analogue sources. Besides, as per one review , they felt the Peachtree to be more lively, and the parasound a little boring on comparison.

At similar price point is also the nuprime Ida-16. Nuprime is a reincarnation of nuforce. This amp is also very popular. And is supposed to have a good dac and tremendous grip on speakers.

With fast changing dac technology, the newest amp to hit the market, seems to be having the edge :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Romulus said:
If you really want pace and rhythm, if you can in the US start with amps from Naim and Rega.   

Thanks...I had considered the Naim and the rega. However both are completely analogue. And also too expensive for the 60 to 80 watts they offer. I want this amp to be a keeper. And future proof any speaker changes on the power front. Iam also considering having a inbuilt dac to start with. When the next big dac revolution happens, I will add a new dac, if it is really worth the improvement.

nopiano said:
As you are in the US I would have thought the Parasound was the obvious choice, particularly on sound per dollar, and avoiding import duties. It has tone controls too, which might be useful with what you describe as your requirements.

Quite agree. The Halo Integrated I have looked at longingly myself. It's a true Swiss-army knife with proper 2.1 channels and a good phono stage.

It pretty much depends on what sort of system the OP plans to put together.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
davidf said:
A penny for your thoughts, David!?
Just looking at electronics, which is something I'm lacking a bit at the moment. The Peachtrees have been on my radar, and Parasound is a possibility - I remember seeing it last year and being impressed that it had sub outs with bass management. I like flexible amplification, it adds to the value of the amp. Less and less people seem to want a straight analogue amplifier nowadays.

davidf said:
nopiano said:
davidf said:
A penny for your thoughts, David!?
Just looking at electronics, which is something I'm lacking a bit at the moment. The Peachtrees have been on my radar, and Parasound is a possibility - I remember seeing it last year and being impressed that it had sub outs with bass management. I like flexible amplification, it adds to the value of the amp. Less and less people seem to want a straight analogue amplifier nowadays.
I can understand why a standard integrated amp has limited appeal these days, when the 'cool boxes' seem to do streaming and things too!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Halo is one of those very few integrated amplifiers around that can be properly used with a 2.1 speaker system, which I think more people would go for if they heard it done properly.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Gave it a really long thought for most of the night.

Already have a blue sound powernode which is pure class D. So will be a different sound going to the class A/AB. With the bass management available, maybe I can change to bookshelf speakers + sub. Felt a tad better than going with the Peachtree and using loop in /out with a mini-dsp for evening out the bass. Besides I don't think I will need more than 160W.

Will start off streaming from my windows laptop or iPod via usb for now. And save some money for a good streamer with the latest dac in the future.

davidf said:
The Halo is one of those very few integrated amplifiers around that can be properly used with a 2.1 speaker system, which I think more people would go for if they heard it done properly.

+1

Many people on here asking how to integrate a sub into a two channel system. Should be ideal for them.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
davidf said:

+1

Many people on here asking how to integrate a sub into a two channel system. Should be ideal for them.

Get a Sony STR DB 930. Does the same for a meal for two!!

Ps. I stop recommending the thing now as it has zero Street cred :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
davidf said:

+1

Plus one
I agree this looks one of the best options available for your needs and 160w is over what you need

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:

An AV receiver is a cheaper way of doing it, but you get what you pay for, and with all the superfluousness, you pay for what you get :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davidf said:
drummerman said:

An AV receiver is a cheaper way of doing it, but you get what you pay for, and with all the superfluousness, you pay for what you get :)

I used to think that and for the most part still do

But recently, ive heard great results with simple av reciever and modest speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts