PCM On PS3 and AMP?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

I was watching a streamed movie on my PS3 yesterday and my amp would notlet me switch the sound settings and just kept saying PCM.

Is this normal? as I was told to switch all the audio on PS3 to Linear PCM as it wont bitstream.

I still had surround, but none of the dolby signs came up on the amp becuase I cant adjust that setting.

Is it outputting what ever it says on the PS3 as automatic?

So if it says dolby HD 5.1 in the select button thats what the amp is out putting.

Thanks guys

F

FunkyMonkey

PS3 can bitstream standard codecs liek dolby digital, but new lossless ones liek TruHD need to be put out as PCM.

Wightknight

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
As I understand it, your amp will only show PCM as the decoding has already been done on your PS3. It would only show the codec being used on the amp if the amp was decoding it.

The new PS3s can send all formats via bitstream allowing your amp to do the decoding.

A

Anonymous

So should I leave bitstream on for streamed movies and DVD's and then turn PCM on for blu-ray?

Thanks

Sorry question answered, will just leave on PCM then I guess

F

FunkyMonkey

canada16:

So should I leave bitstream on for streamed movies and DVD's and then turn PCM on for blu-ray?

Thanks

This is correct. If you have the slim then set everythign to bitstream. If the phat, then bitstream for everything, and PCM for just Blu Ray.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
On the standard PS3, (i.e. not slim) I would just leave on Linear PCM - it means Dolby Digital and DTS will be decoded onboard the PS3 as well, but it's a heck of a lot easier than switching it all the time and I'd doubt if you can tell the difference if pushed.

F

FunkyMonkey

jbrace:what if it isn't the slim? Already told you in my last reply. Blu ray-pcm. All else-bitstream.

A

Anonymous

Do I need an optical for my PS3 as well as my sky for the audio?

Or will HDMI do for the PS3

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Unlike the Sky HD box, the PS3 has no limitations streaming multichannel audio over the HDMI. So as long as you have an amp capable of receiving multichannel audio via HDMI, you only need the HDMI connection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts