Paradigm SUB 15, Ken Kreisel 5000 Mark3 subwoofer advice advice needed..

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
When I owned the previous M&K MX5100SF sub from Ken Kreisel it was one of the best subs ever made and I have owned and heard a lot of subs and this new KK sub improves upon his previous generation so I am sure the new DXD12012 would be a clear winner when it comes to shear performance, Kens subs produce prestigiuos amounts of slam and punch when it comes to movies which is why studios love his subs and they are also fast enough to handle music with the finesse that it requires!!

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CaptHowdy said:
Even Rob (FoS) Sinden was blagging it when he stated a few times in this thread that the new Subwoofers were coming early in 2012:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/anyone-seen-the-new-mkloudspeaker-website%20

:rofl:

There is also still the question of who originally started the thread. An unkown entity that always seems to pop up when products distributed by Gecko are involved. Coincidence? Not likely. :hand:

Lol! Gecko have nothing to do with Ken Kreisel products!

A

Anonymous

recruit said:

I was referring to the post by Al that the MK Sound subwoofers are imminent. They have been for a year now. ;)

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CaptHowdy said:
recruit said:

I was referring to the post by Al that the MK Sound subwoofers are imminent. They have been for a year now. ;)

Lol, my bad sorry :)

I'd much rather go with the subs from whom they tried to copy in the first place, and the new generation of Kens subs are the dogs danglies!

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
From all that I have read MK Sound products are not inferior to the old M&K. They are a Danish company that bought all the design rights and have been manufacturing them to identical standard. They have even improved on the M&K 150THX with the MK S150 mk2. They still supply studio's around the world. Yes they are now manufactured in China like alot of other high end gear.

I have been reading up on them as I'm possibly interested in a full 5.0 MK S150 THX set up. Any views appreciated.

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ric71 said:
From all that I have read MK Sound products are not inferior to the old M&K. They are a Danish company that bought all the design rights and have been manufacturing them to identical standard. They have even improved on the M&K 150THX with the MK S150 mk2. They still supply studio's around the world. Yes they are now manufactured in China like alot of other high end gear.

I have been reading up on them as I'm possibly interested in a full 5.0 MK S150 THX set up. Any views appreciated.

No one is saying they are inferior, I just put my own personal opinion across, in the fact that I would rather purchase the products from the man who originaly designed what now MK Sound are continueing to sell.

I had the original M&K full S150 set up and they were stunning, but cannot vouch for the MK Sound versions as I have not heard them, personally I would wait until KK brings out his new range of speakers which is his next generation of his legacy.

A

Anonymous

ric71 said:
From all that I have read MK Sound products are not inferior to the old M&K. They are a Danish company that bought all the design rights and have been manufacturing them to identical standard.

Identical standard? Definitely not. For one the cabinet was not as good as thinner MDF was used. I cannot comment on the driver and amp as only Ken could probably compare them and say what the real differences really are.

ric71 said:
They have even improved on the M&K 150THX with the MK S150 mk2. They still supply studio's around the world. Yes they are now manufactured in China like alot of other high end gear.

The MK Sound S150 Mk2 was just the S150 with the 'professional' tweeter and a tweek to the crossover. This tweeter was based on the 'professional' tweeter Ken used in some of his products. So nothing designed or improved by the Danish company.

Gecko would have you believe that MK Sound are used in Studios. But funnily enough the list of Studios is exactly the same as the original M&K list. Make of that what you will.

ric71 said:

I too would wait for Ken's replacement like recruit has already mentioned.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ric71 said:

I would keep a look out for Ken's new Q Series, which is due imminently. I believe this is being touted by Ken as an improvement over his S150 design, and in a more acceptable cabinet. I also believe there will be a direct S150 replacement due next year too.

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sammythesquid said:
He's more interested in Jl Audio now :rofl:

I have a lot of respect for JL Audio subs but they are ageing now and have been around for quite some time, I really do like the KK approach of upgrades, as in the stacking formation plus he knows a good thing or two about how subs are built, seeing as he was the first person to introduce them to the mass market!

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
v1c said:
Sammy i am very envious of your experience :)

Why be envious v1c? Saturday 1st December.... >)

I've just realised i'm on hols that week with the 1st in :dance:

I'm 99% to be there.

The new reviews on AVFourms and Secrets of home theater are rather good as well i see.

Make that 99.99 % chance of seeing me there. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We are no longer going to demo a pair of dual DXD12012's, because that sort of goes against the ethos of them (timing). Because we can't currently fit in a single Quattro stack, we will be demonstrating a single stack of three. I'll be setting it up about a week or so before the day to make sure everything is running fine, and give me time to tweak it to death :)

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
We are no longer going to demo a pair of dual DXD12012's, because that sort of goes against the ethos of them (timing). Because we can't currently fit in a single Quattro stack, we will be demonstrating a single stack of three. I'll be setting it up about a week or so before the day to make sure everything is running fine, and give me time to tweak it to death :)

Yeah don't worry thats not going to put me off David. :grin:

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
ideal av said:
CaptHowdy said:
MUSICRAFT said:
As i said earlier the Fathom f113 reproduces massively fast, tight and deep bass which is supported with great power, grip, drive and hard hitting dynamics

Not as fast, tight, deep, powerful, grippy, driven or hard hitting as a DXD12012. :hand:

so I take it thats from comparing them both side by side, your opinion is only valid if this has been done

has it been arrived at this way or is it just speculation

if you want to come and see for yourself then come along, i`ve got a DXD12012 here now

i`m on an install the rest of the day but free all sunday pm, the DXD12012 is going back to its owner at 3.30pm tomorrow afternoon so don`t miss this chance if you want to do a side by side comparison.

theirs a MX350, a Fathom f112 & f113 to compare it to

Allan

Did anyone take you up on this comparison?

I would be interested in your results/views comparing the Fathoms with the old and new Kreisel subs?

:)

A

Anonymous

JohnHolmes said:

I would be interested in your results/views comparing the Fathoms with the old and new Kreisel subs?

I didn't, because there was no point. If anyone is stupid enough to even begin to consider that the single 13.5" driver of the F113 is going to compete with the 2x 12" drivers of the DXD12012, then they deserve to waste their money on an inferior product. SVS use exactly the same drive unit (as the one used in the F113) in their SB13 Ultra and at less than half the price, so why would anyone be stupid enough to pay way over the odds for something that looks good but is easily matched or out-performed by other Subs at a much lower price. I don't even need to mention a dual stack DXD12012's, at exactly the same price as a single F113, as it is a completely pointless comparison that no one would ever need to make unless they are looking for the perfect example of how 2 Subwoofers can totally annihilate a single Subwoofer at the same price.

A

Anonymous

It will be down to how good that sealed 15" subwoofer is designed. There are fors and againsts for both designes. But now we know the DXD12012 has ben designed seriously well it is going to take a very decent 15" subwoofer to be as good nevermind out perform it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A dual 12" and a single 15" sub have roughly the same surface area, so shift roughly the same amount of air. Obviously there are many aspects to a sub that will affect it's performance. Take amplifier power for example. Your Sub15 is 1,700w rms. the DXD12012 uses two 375w rms amplifiers. I know you know how the DXD12012 performs :)

Different sub manufacturers have different goals, and most manufacturers are trying to produce the deepest bass possible, at the highest level possible. It would be understandable to believe that that is what subs are about, but that is like saying that the best speakers are the loudest ones.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Very true. I replayed the scenes we demoed and I know different rooms etc and from memory but I found the following:

The KK is more articulate in the upper mid bass as to be expected and to my ears faster.

The Sub15 plays deeper and harder.

They are two fantastic subs that reproduce epic bass in different ways. I would be happy with either but for my £ the Sub15 is the one for me but and a big but a single Sub15 is £3100 plus £99 for the PBK, two DXD 12012's are £4000. If I were purchasing again I would have to seriously consider saving/borrowing more and going for a duo stack!!!

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
JohnHolmes said:
ideal av said:
CaptHowdy said:
MUSICRAFT said:
As i said earlier the Fathom f113 reproduces massively fast, tight and deep bass which is supported with great power, grip, drive and hard hitting dynamics

Not as fast, tight, deep, powerful, grippy, driven or hard hitting as a DXD12012. :hand:

so I take it thats from comparing them both side by side, your opinion is only valid if this has been done

has it been arrived at this way or is it just speculation

if you want to come and see for yourself then come along, i`ve got a DXD12012 here now

i`m on an install the rest of the day but free all sunday pm, the DXD12012 is going back to its owner at 3.30pm tomorrow afternoon so don`t miss this chance if you want to do a side by side comparison.

theirs a MX350, a Fathom f112 & f113 to compare it to

Allan

unfortunatley John no-one bothered to come and see them all in the flesh and compare them

you have to ask yourself when presented with an opportunity to do this why certain members keep away

we could have another opportunity soon with the new MK Sound THX dual driver subs if anyone is interested

TRENDING THREADS