Panasonic Viera 40CS520B

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Panasonic Viera 40CS520B

John Lewis, Richers and Amazon UK customers mostly seem to like it (averages about 4.5 / 5) and I like Panasonic.

In the past though, Panasonic, my local hi-fi shop, John Lewis (and even WHF?) have told me utter porkies* about the 'smart' capabilities of Panasonic TV sets.

I need to know if JL are correct to state the Panasonic Viera 40CS520B really has ... "Freeview HD and Freeview Play".

On past experience of the veracity of what shops (and some technology websites!) tell you, I may as well ignore it, but here ... well ... I am surrounded by telly experts in every direction. So does it have Freeview play? Can it get BBC iPlayer? Any other 'smart' stuff?

No WHF? staff advice please. I still have a TV you told me was smart four and a half years ago and yet it remained stubbornly 'dumb as ####' (it was 'smart ready' and not actually smart it turns out) partly necessitating the purchase of a Humax to get iPlayer.

*Probably well meaning 'porkies' based on ignorance :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Can I ask why you're in the market for a new television, Chebby? Are you chiefly looking for greater smart functionality, or are other requirements more important?

Panasonic televisions have never been the best when it comes to smart features (you get iPlayer, but no ITV Player or 4oD). The "My Home Screen" facility is reasonably user friendly, but even then the platform falls short of both LG and Samsung's offerings.

As far as I can tell, the CS520B is fully kitted out in terms of Panasonic's "smart" capabilities, though as I say, other manufacturers offer a better user experience and wider content platform.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about a television's onboard smart features since any gap can be easily plugged by cheap offboard solutions.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Can I ask why you're in the market for a new television, Chebby?

5 year JL guarantee runs out in March.

I can't find a 'top drawer' 32" sadly (37" and 39" have disappeared) so I am stuck with oversized (to me at least) 40" options.

3D doesn't interest me and 4K is irrelevant to me for the next few years at least.

I would at least like the most basic of 'smart' functionality to be built-in and actually working (rather some dodgy 'ready' status). They've had enough years to work it out by now.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You'd struggle to find a TV that isn't loaded with smart features now and as long as you can connect via ethernet you'll be fine whatever you buy.

It really comes down to which platforms different manufacturers support and, as I say, Panasonic isn't leading the pack in this regard.

I wouldn't try to persuade anyone who doesn't like 3-D to buy a 3-D ready set, though you shouldn't rule a TV out because it can play 3-D content. You of course don't have to use 3-D functionality and 3-D is such a common feature now that it doesn't really add a premium.

Some people object so strongly to 3-D that they'll refuse to buy a 3-D ready TV, but doing so limits options considerably. If you're not interested in 3-D then forget about it. If your next TV is 3-D ready you can simply place the glasses in a drawer (or a bin) and never think about this again.

I agree that sticking with 1080p remains sensible if you're buying a relatively small screen television. You'll still save some money here and I assume you'll be watching SD and HD content anyway.

Paul.

If you want a 32" why not this?

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue32h6400-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-32-with-freeview-hd-voice-control-built-in-wi-fi/p1319175?sku=233198887&kpid=233198887&s_kenid=1caa4642-00a1-87e8-5a9f-0000525d4ef6&s_kwcid=402x348618&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&stop_mobi=yes

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I agree that sticking with 1080p remains sensible if you're buying a relatively small screen television. You'll still save some money here and I assume you'll be watching SD and HD content anyway.

40" is not small. I had resigned myself to our next TV being 37" (or even 39") but expectations ratchet up inexorably like the bathroom count in homes where the acceptable number for an average home seems to increase with every new series of 'Escape To The Country'. (Until almost every room - including the broom cupboard - is 'en suite'!)

If I am forced to get any thing bigger I will wait until our present TV dies then give up on televisions and get a 27" iMac instead. (It'll still be bigger than any TV I owned until about 2004.)

I am not going to ruin the living room with some humungous black (most of the time) monolith staring blankly down on us cowering beneath it. 40" is the absolute limit. (And a reluctant one.)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
And the H6400 desktop stand swivels, which is increasing rare these days! It's a great set, whichever size you choose. You might even decide that, as the general appearance is quite slim, that you do go for the 40" version after all! *acute* The H6400 series has terrific reviews at all sizes. (I had wanted, this coming January, to maybe buy the 75" version but it seems no longer available, the 65" is the biggest now.)

D

Deleted member 2457

I concur with the Samsung 40-inch TV, this year I nearly down graded to the 55-inch TV of that model. Blacks were good and nice colourful picture.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Back on the 32H6400 thread, one very good review herehttp://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue32h6400/review dgdg finally this one here http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/samsung-ue32h6400-1267900/review. Notice that the reviews refer to the 32-inch size as "small" indeed the last review says "Once lauded as the future of your living room, the 32-inch LED TV has long since shuffled from centrepiece to sideline, and it's now often found in bedrooms, studies and games rooms." But if the House of Chebby needs only a 32" set, this one does seem good!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone. The Samsung looks good except for a few people complaining about lip sync issues. I will watch out for that. It seems there a few Samsungs with this problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts