Got problems with John Lewis concerning a Panasonic TV...sound familiar?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

On Monday I finally got round to putting up my replacement Panasonic TX-L42E6B in the bedroom as I was celebrating my 40th birthday over the weekend and it has a worse screen than the first one I received which I was quick to tell John Lewis about and got it replaced after almost a two week wait (they done at swap at the door). This replacement arrived on Saturday and it has to be said it's a lot worse than the first one with some bad backlight issues with blotching all over the screen and particulary bad on the top left (but not in the corner), the top right and bottom right of the screen.

Now I know this TV is not of the same quality as my main living room TV but the TV it replaces didn't exhibit this issue and was a very basic Samsung 32" 1080p LED with no bells and whistles at all so to receive two Panasonic TVs with bad backlight and screen uniformity issues is very disappointing given the excellent reviews given to this TV.

This evening I called John Lewis to report the issues with this TV but was horrified with their response. Now bear in mind I have had this TV for just 3 days and purchased it from John Lewis online. I was told that I needed to take it to my nearest John Lewis store (I don't drive and my nearest store is 20 miles away) and that it would be sent away for repair, I would then have to pick it up from the store when it was ready.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds acceptable to you? I have just written an email of complaint to John Lewis regarding this stance and how they wish to proceed with my issue as I feel a TV that is 3 days old should not be repaired, taken away and leaving me without a TV when it is so obviously faulty or is that just me??

And bearing in mind I purchased the TV from John Lewis online as I don't drive and can't rely on friends for a lift is it correct that it should be up to me to return the TV to a store for it to be repaired and then have to pick it up once it's completed? I have literally unpacked the TV then realised it has an issue and contacted John Lewis asap to report it and this is the response I have received, I don't think it's right and have told them that if I have to return the TV to a store it will be for a full refund or completely different TV and not for this one to be repaired which I think is a fair comment.

Any feedback gratefully received as I'm confused and disappointed with John Lewis' response up to now... :?

D

Deleted member 2457

Doesn't sound right at all. Here are their terms:

http://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/information-about-ordering-and-returning-products

TV weight:

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l42e6b-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-42-with-freeview-hd/p231889200?colour=Silver

Do you fit in the category of the free collection and return courier option?

D

Deleted member 2457

The MyHermes option, Oldboy. Do you qualify for that? Check the weight and measurements.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Don't JL have some kind of 30 day no quibble policy?

Ring them again, say you want a refund, and tell them to collect the tv. End of.

I'll be ringing them tomorrow evening, as I'm fed up with pink snow and ice on the winter olympics coverage.

See you at the 2020 thread. ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Don't JL have some kind of 30 day no quibble policy?

Ring them again, say you want a refund, and tell them to collect the tv. End of.

I'll be ringing them tomorrow evening, as I'm fed up with pink snow and ice on the winter olympics coverage.

See you at the 2020 thread. ;)

Agreed, that would be my first option too.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
The MyHermes option, Oldboy. Do you qualify for that? Check the weight and measurements.

I don't think the TV meets those requirements. The first one was a different company that collected the first one and delivered the replacement to my door, I'm of the opinion that the TV should not be repaired just replaced or refunded end of story but you end up doubting yourself don't you when you get them saying something completely different don't you?

I will await their response via email then ring them again and see what happens, I will take a third set on the understanding that if it's no better I will want a refund or alternative TV but I'm not going to accept a repair on this TV as it's just 3 days old. That's fair is it not?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Oldboy said:
I will await their response via email then ring them again and see what happens, I will take a third set on the understanding that if it's no better I will want a refund or alternative TV but I'm not going to accept a repair on this TV as it's just 3 days old. That's fair is it not?

Absolutely.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Oh and by the way the original purchase date was 21st January and I have had one replacement since then and the delays have simply been down to John Lewis. The original was delivered to me on 31st January and I rang them the next day (1st Feb) to report the issue with the first one and the replacement finally arrived two weeks later on Saturday just gone, I rang them today to report the issue with this replacement.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm really starting to think that Panasonic are turning the screw on the retailers, as this seems very odd behaviour for John Lewis.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm really starting to think that Panasonic are turning the screw on the retailers, as this seems very odd behaviour for John Lewis.

Agreed. I'm not backing down though and we will see what happens tomorrow when I contact them again to discuss the matter, I have at least put my complaint in writing to them already but I find their stance simply ridiculous to be perfectly frank.

kefrdm2

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree, terrible customer service from Panasonic. It's funny as was looking on eBay last night and they are selling official refurbished stock on there direct now, makes you worry how much faulty gear they are manufacturing with the amount they have for sale.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What on earth made you buy from John Lewis? When I was shopping around online for a 50" TV for my elderly dad recently, John Lewis were easily 25% more expensive than anywhere else on just about every set we looked at. Not that I'm excusing their after-sales service but the price of their goods never encouraged me to test it.

John Lewis will match the price of any high street shop, plus offer a free 5 year guarantee on all TVs. Their customer service is the best in the business. This is a rare exception.

http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/never-knowingly-undersold-policy?stop_mobi=yes

Everyone here, including myself, usually advise forum members to buy TV from John Lewis as the first choice.

Many members had problems with their Panasonic TVs, those who bought from John Lewis have had some sort of resolution, while members like rocketrazor who bought from a high street shop is still tearing his hair out trying to resolve his issue which has been ongoing for many months.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Here is my take on your situation

1) Under DSR (distance selling regulations) you had 7 days in which to return an unwanted purchase (clearly, this has passed so it's onto option 2)

2) The JL website clearly states:
Terms & conditionsIf you're unhappy with your purchase, please let us know. Unless faulty, we'd like this to be within 90 days of purchase[/list]If you return your item to one of our shops and you'd like a refund but don't have your receipt, order confirmation or delivery note, we'll give you gift vouchers to the value of the current selling price. Ordinarily if you have your receipt or delivery note we'll refund the original debit, credit or charge card used to purchase[/list]It's important that any unwanted item, unless faulty, is returned in a re-saleable condition. We'd expect this to mean that you've kept all original packaging and labels, and that it's undamaged and unused We'll refund any delivery charges you've paid if you return an entire order (UK orders only)[/list]So, as far as I can see, it's the refund route you need, and perhaps it is time to look at a Samsung LED for the bedroom?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Less than 28 days = returns by the same process as it was ordered + full refund. End of.

Just as importantly, Oldboy, with all three GT50s I cycled through, John Lewis' 28 day "return no questions asked" period was reset. This was also true when I swapped my final GT50 for my VT65, almost three months further down the line.

However, my recent dealings with John Lewis have been less straightforward. Their current position is that they will not class a television as faulty unless the manufacturer agrees. So when Panasonic issues a "within tolerance" response, John Lewis takes the same position.

None of this should have any bearing on your situation, however, as you're still within the retailer's right to return period. Maybe John Lewis is now losing money due to high volumes of returns; and instruction has been passed down from management to take a tougher stance.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Here's an update for you as I've just got off the phone from John Lewis.

Today's call to John Lewis was very different after I explained the situation and the so called advice I received last night, the woman on the phone really couldn't have been more helpful in all honesty. I was advised that I should not have been given that advice last night and they apologised for the confusion it caused and stated that at no point am I responsible for returning the unit myself either for repair or return, it is simply an option if I choose to exercise it but they aim to deal with all online orders in the normal manner and at no cost to myself. Confusion over.

I went on to explain the issue with the TV and that this one is far worse with the original issue I experienced, after being put on hold for a while whilst she talked it over with her manager I was told that in normal circumstances they wouldn't replace a TV due to excessive light bleed. Before I could even start saying that they did with the first one she continued and said that on this occasion they would be willing to replace it for me and that they recommended I choose another model. I can take my time and research suitable sets and then just ring them when I have made a decision as to what TV I would like to get, I must say I was quite surprised it was so easy to get this resolved today and how vastly different the call was. It would seem that depending on the person you talk to and the time of day you call you can get very differing advice.

This was the level of customer service I expected to receive last night and was the reason I chose John Lewis in the first place so with my faith restored I now find myself asking what do I do now...what TV shall I look at next? I'm of the opinion it won't be a Panasonic though so I guess my options are back to Samsung as my 55F8000 has impressed me so much or try a Sony or as an outside shot an LG TV although I've yet to see any LG that has truly impressed me.

I am free to go up or down in price from my original purchase price of £500 but I wouldn't want to go much over £600 for a bedroom TV unless it was warranted as I simply don't have the money so any suggestions would be really helpful guys as I don't want to get this one wrong. My first thought was a Samsung 40F7000 until I saw the £950 price tag at John Lewis online, Ouch!

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Sounds much more like JL, good news!

40F7000 £749 @ Total Digital, but I guess that's just a bridge too far for you at present?

40F6740 £599 here: http://www.askdirect.co.uk/products/samsung-ue40f6740sb-40-full-hd-1080p-3d-led-tv.html (and should price match as they have a shop in London)

Having just compared the 7000 and 6740 on Samsung's website, I personally think the 6740 looks a good choice given its potential £600 price tag

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yes even at £750 the 40F7000 is beyond my reach at present which is a shame, besides which I would still have to find the £949 purchase price in the first place and then claim back the difference in price after delivery so I would initially have to find £450 with prospect of claiming back £200 should they agree to price match.

After a quick look on the JL website I must say the Samsung UE406740 did seem like my best option from their range and would mean I only need to stump up a further £150 but I know nothing about this TV so will need to see one in the flesh I think. Apart from that there are a few other Samsung models on the JL site and a newly arrived Sony KDL42W705 but that's about it really, either way I'm going to need to draw up a list of TVs to audition this weekend from their site I think.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
You can always get an instore price match...

They sell at the reduced price on the spot, none of that claiming money back rubbish that I wish JL would drop from their website

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
It was a 48 hour wait when I done that for my Samsung 55F8000 that I purchased in store although I did put the requset in over the phone and not in person at the store simply to avoid another trip to the store as my nearest one is some 20 miles away so I need to do it all in one go if I'm going down the route of going in store, I presume that would mean taking the Panasonic with me as well?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Good to see they are sorting you out with the set oldboy. That's much more John Lewis style esp as you are well with the 28/30 day no quibble returns

:clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts