Got problems with John Lewis concerning a Panasonic TV...sound familiar?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Cheers rocket. It was a massive difference with my call today and they were far more responsive to my plight, it did seem strange that it was such a marked difference though and that the reaction was so different this afternoon :?

How is your situation, any news?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Right the plot thickens...as I told you all at the beginning of the thread I sent John Lewis an email about the replacement TV and the advice I received on the phone last night, I checked my email a few minutes ago and had a reply from them and here it is:

Thank you for your email regarding the issues that you have experienced with your replacement Panasonic Viera television.

I understand that your television was replaced because you experienced issues with the screen but the replacement is far worse in terms of this fault. Please accept my apologies for this, as it is certainly not reflective of the quality of product or service that we endeavour to provide our customers with.

Having checked my records, I can see that advice has been sought from our Technical Support Team when you called us to discuss the issue. Our Technical Support Team may have wanted to examine the issue and repair it for you; however, I understand that it is not convenient for you to take the television to one of our stores and I appreciate that it is only 3 days old.

I will be happy to issue another replacement television to see if the issues that you have experienced have just been isolated or if it is an intermittent fault, as you are perfectly within your rights to request this rather than a repair at this stage.

In the interest of resolving this as quickly as possible for you, I have arranged the delivery of your replacement for the earliest available date in your area, which is Wednesday 26 February 2014, between 2:00pm and 9:00pm. If this is not suitable, please call us on 08456 049 049 to make alternative arrangements. The order number for the replacement television is 43294512 and the collection of the faulty television will take place at the same time as the delivery.

Do not hesitate to contact me, in the meantime, if you have any other queries.

Kind regards,

Duncan Weatherston
John Lewis.com

As you can imagine I wasn't best pleased that yet another replacement had been issued after speaking to them today on the phone and getting a resolution but it is partly my fault for not waiting for the response to my initial email but after the reaction to this thread I thought it best to act quickly which is why I spoke to them today.

Anyway I've managed to speak to them again and sort it all out and the replacement set has been cancelled and I am free to look for another model as agreed earlier then get in touch to sort out returning the Panasonic and ordering the new one, phew! As it turns out I think I've got the better outcome in the end anyway as I don't hold out much hope that a third Panasonic 42E6B would be any better than the first two, that was Panasonics last chance with me and after this experience added to the issues I have had with their plasmas I won't buy another Panasonic TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

How about this Sony?

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_124&products_id=4843

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Oldboy said:
It was a 48 hour wait when I done that for my Samsung 55F8000 that I purchased in store although I did put the requset in over the phone and not in person at the store simply to avoid another trip to the store as my nearest one is some 20 miles away so I need to do it all in one go if I'm going down the route of going in store, I presume that would mean taking the Panasonic with me as well?

I've called the store in the past, asked for the price match, and when they call back then it's time to visit them

I'd get the Panasonic collected and refunded first

Or talk to JL online and suggest you can't be doing with the whole claim the difference back thing

I know someone that did that, and JL sorted it for them..... ;)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
How about this Sony?

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_124&products_id=4843

Thanks gel. That Sony was one I looked at on the John Lewis website today as a possible replacement but what's putting me off is the LG panel used for this TV as the blacks are just useless from everything I have read about it plus passive 3D is not really my bag and has never impressed me, not that 3D is a major concern for me with a bedroom TV though. Saying that it would be nice to get a few extra pairs of glasses thrown in for use with my main living room TV which is another reason why a second Samsung TV is so appealing right now.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
MrW said:
I've called the store in the past, asked for the price match, and when they call back then it's time to visit them

I'd get the Panasonic collected and refunded first

Or talk to JL online and suggest you can't be doing with the whole claim the difference back thing

I know someone that did that, and JL sorted it for them..... ;)

Yep that's what I done with my 55F8000 so is worth thinking about.

My main concern is to do this with the minimum of fuss and as any replacement TV will come from JL anyway I may as well just pick a replacement and pay any difference in price and use the Panasonic until I've made a decision. At the moment I am leaning towards a second Samsung TV simply because the F8000 has left a positive impression and because if I bought a 40 inch 3D for the bedroom I would have more pairs of glasses to use, but as 3D is of no concern to me in the bedroom that's just a little bonus.

Right now I'm trying to justify the £750 it would cost to get a Samsung 40F7000 for the bedroom and just swallow the extra cost plus the hassle of getting the price match and paying £950 in total for the TV. I know in real terms it would be £450 I need to find and should end up being £250 after the price match but to spend that on a bedroom TV seems excessive to me, the 40F6740 at £650 seems the only other alternative...I'm torn.

I don't want to but I think I could just about cover the £750 as long as I got a price match...think I will submit an online request and see if it's honoured as a first step or maybe talk to them tomorrow over the phone to try and find a solution, to be honest if I could pay £750 for the 40F7000 I would order it tomorrow and be done with it.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
You don't do credit cards do you oldboy? If I remember rightly you only deal in cash, otherwise you would get the money back before your bill needs paying

only other option is a price match instore I think.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
You don't do credit cards do you oldboy? If I remember rightly you only deal in cash, otherwise you would get the money back before your bill needs paying

Actually in this instance I did use my credit card rocket. It just worked out easier as I could get the TV sooner, but are you saying that if I paid the £450 on it then I should get the £200 back before I need to pay the balance? I hadn't thought about that...

My next bill isn't due for about 3 weeks and I only have £150 to pay off from my Panasonic so I could do it that way and pay the entire bill up when the next bill is due hmmmmm. I did put in a price match request last night for the 40F7000 against the £750 at totaldigital so if they accept it I may go ahead and order it as it seems the best way to go now, it's a hell of a TV for bedroom duties :grin:

D

Deleted member 2457

Don't forget you will have 28 days to beat that price too. ;)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:

I trust I can rely on you to help me get it cheaper still gel? As our resident bargain hunter I'm sure you will unearth a bargain that passes me by, hopefully ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:

I trust I can rely on you to help me get it cheaper still gel? As our resident bargain hunter I'm sure you will unearth a bargain that passes me by, hopefully ;)

I'll try. :)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
rocketrazor said:

Actually in this instance I did use my credit card rocket. It just worked out easier as I could get the TV sooner, but are you saying that if I paid the £450 on it then I should get the £200 back before I need to pay the balance? I hadn't thought about that...

My next bill isn't due for about 3 weeks and I only have £150 to pay off from my Panasonic so I could do it that way and pay the entire bill up when the next bill is due hmmmmm. I did put in a price match request last night for the 40F7000 against the £750 at totaldigital so if they accept it I may go ahead and order it as it seems the best way to go now, it's a hell of a TV for bedroom duties :grin:

ah cool, you used your credit card. So even if your balance is made up wait a few days and the John Lewis price match will then be added to your balance as a refund knocking it off the required balance to settle the account. Just make sure you have it paid off before the last payment date though :)

this way you should never have to find the extra cash to outlay before getting the price match back

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks rocket. In preparation I have settled the remaining balance today that was left from the Panasonic so my card is clear and I'm back to being debt free, I'm more inclined to use it again now to pay for the replacement as I can pay that off completely come next pay day.

Why on earth I never thought of doing it this way before I don't know but as it's my first credit card and has only ever been used to recently pay for the Panasonic TV I guess it just never crossed my mind. So glad I've got one though as it will make the price match so much easier and save me having to pay full price up front, thank you very much for the suggestion :cheers:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
No probs

did you get a 0% one on purchases? This would just give you that little extra time. i purchased both my tvs on 0% cards got the money put it in an ISA waited for the end of the 0% paid it off and got some interest in the process! It's all about trying to make your money work the most for you as long as you are able to not spend it before hand.

anyway enough rambling, glad your getting there mate

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Rocket,

Yes I do get 0% on purchases for the next few months I think, I need to check to be sure. You are right about making your money work for you though and is one of the reasons I took the 123 credit card from Santander, when I bought the Panasonic I got £10 cashback so I should get more when I use the card to buy the Samsung should the price match be honoured (I'm still waiting for then to get back to me).

I noticed today that the ticket price for the UE40F7000 has come down on the John Lewis website to £869.95 so the initial outlay won't be as high as expected now but will still be able to claim back £120 should I get the price match, fingers crossed it's all sorted soon.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Update:

I ordered the replacement for my Panasonic 42E6B today and did indeed go with the Samsung UE40F7000 which is being delivered on Tuesday 4th March with the Panasonic being collected at the same time so hopefully the arrival of the Samsung will see and end to all the issues I had with the Panasonic sets :pray:

As luck would have it the price of the 40F7000 was reduced to £734 this weekend at TotalDigital and the price match I received back from John Lewis reflected this price, although minutes before I received this I had submitted another price match request for the further reduced price just in case but as they have already matched the £734 price it's not needed now. So as long as the Samsung is working as expected then I should get £105 back as they have included the £30 delivery charge from TotalDigital in the price match but even at a total of £764 I think it's a good deal and I'm happy.

Roll on 4th March when this whole saga hopefully comes to an end :grin:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
The Samsung UE40F7000 has just arrived so fingers crossed once I get it on the wall in the bedroom that all is good with this one and that I can banish the memories of poor quality Panasonic TVs once and for all :pray:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
The Samsung UE40F7000 has just arrived so fingers crossed once I get it on the wall in the bedroom that all is good with this one and that I can banish the memories of poor quality Panasonic TVs once and for all :pray:

fingers crossed mate. Are you checking it over before you go through the hassle of putting it on your wall?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
Oldboy said:

fingers crossed mate. Are you checking it over before you go through the hassle of putting it on your wall?

No I think I'm just going to mount it and hope it's OK as it's not a lot of hassle to put it up in all honesty, I've got much more faith in this one anyway as it's not a Panasonic. They would have to pay me now to buy one of their TVs!

Got to pop out for a while but will get it up this afternoon and test it then report back, 3D in the bedroom does seem a bit OTT though but at least I can make the most of my 3D discs.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
rocketrazor said:
Oldboy said:

No I think I'm just going to mount it and hope it's OK as it's not a lot of hassle to put it up in all honesty, I've got much more faith in this one anyway as it's not a Panasonic. They would have to pay me now to buy one of their TVs!

Got to pop out for a while but will get it up this afternoon and test it then report back, 3D in the bedroom does seem a bit OTT though but at least I can make the most of my 3D discs.

Well wheres the report then or have you fallen asleep,watching it so closely :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts