Panasonic TH37PX70 vs TH42PX70

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Really need some help here: What are the advantages of having one set or the other?

I'm currently waiting on a 37px70 , but since there are some stock delays, I am being offered the 42px70 for not much more. My gut feel is wait for the 37 , is there anyone that can back this up?

Bear in mind I'm mostly concerned with Freeview and normal DVD's.

One technical question: i see the 37px70 has 1024 x 720 res and the 42px70 has 1024 x 768 res. Does this have any significant effect when the sets play normal dvd's at 720p?

Please feel free to give me as many reasons as possible favouring one or the other.

Many thanks!
emotion-2.gif

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Hello there, listen having purchased the Panasonic TH-42PX70 the other week I would say most certainly get one of these panels. It has a superb picture on SD feed which is what I have, movies and sport have great pictures and the sound is really good as well.... and with DVD's it is sheer brilliant.... what a t.v panel this is :)

Go buy one..... it's bigger than the other.... yes it does matter and it is Brill !

All thanks to Clair who helped steer me in the right direction (away from LCD)

A

Anonymous

I'm with Alan on this one, i have both screen sizes, although the 37 is an older model, the 42PX70 is excellent.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comments so far guys.

I guess the 42" is quite a lot bigger than the 37". But why is there not such a great difference in the price between these two?

I would have expected a bit of a price jump from 37" to 42".

With both of these having almost similar resolutions, would the 37" have a higher quality picture?

A

Anonymous

Alberto, let me gaze into my crystal ball and guess that you are purchasing from Empire Direct. Am I right?

They've rung and offered me the same deal :)

Unfortunately there is no way on Earth her indoors would let me get the 42", so I will be sticking it out for a 37".

I suspect the pricing issue is one of supply and demand. I'd imagine a greater proportion of the panels they sell globally are the 42" so the economies of scale mean there is not a huge price difference between them.

A

Anonymous

You're crystal ball works well !

I'm really unsure what to do, but I also think our room isnt big enough for the 42". We'll be sitting 3m (think thats about 9 - 10 feet) from the screen. I understand your point about the price, its probably a good deal going for 42" if you've got the right size room.

Any ideas when the 37" will be in stock. I was told they get some in on the 14th Dec, and then you've gotta hope that you get allocated one... probably a bit of bollocks, but who knows, maybe were lucky...

I guess for Freeview and normal dvd's the 37" should do the best from about 9-10 feet away.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, we sit about 10' away too.

I didn't get any indication about dates, other than a very doubtful before Xmas. But it's good customer service for them to keep in touch and offer a more than adequate replacement, for those that can take it.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
To be honest distance to the screen is a very personal thing but around 10ft is about right for most people with a 42" on an SD feed. With DVD and HD you can get away with nearer as the feed quality's much better, with SD like Freeview, I wouldn't go below 10 ft personally.

If you really want to try it out, go down to a local tv shop with a tape measure and measure 10ft from a 42" screen on a SD aerial feed then stand there and watch. I think you'll find it ideal, but distance to screen is a personal thing.

I doubt overall that at 10ft you'd be disaapointed with either set.

A

Anonymous

Just be careful about some of these prices, they may exclude the pedestal or wall bracket, which can drop the price by about £100. If you don't have a proper AV stand, I would look at getting the plasma without bracket and getting one of those integrated stands that has a built-in bracket like this:
http://www.electronicsforless.ca/Images/Products/TechCraft/summer06/TRK50_DT2.gif

I have the 42" version and it's great, altho it is MUCH better when used with an upscaling dvd/freeview box like one of the Sony HD, instead of using the built-in upscaler

A

Anonymous

Allow me also to join the empire direct 37" stock problem!

There was absolutely zero chance of my other half agreeing to a 42", and having been to take another look in Currys last night I think 37" is about right for my room. 42" would probably be good for me for films, but too overbearing for background TV.

I was happy with empire direct's service (by the way I was told January) but cancelled my order (for the CAB model) and order a pedestal model from elswhere with a separately purchased stand (the Atacama AVI TS)

Good luck!

Rob

A

Anonymous

I'm going for the 42"
Anyone know of a decent wall bracket, that will mount this safely but in the corner, i thought of this one.. http://www.avrabbit.com/product-Premier-am3-bk-plasma-wall-mount-584.html

What do you think?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="browelly"]Yeah, we sit about 10' away too [/quote]

You Sir are a sensible person watching your 37inch TH37PX70 from 10 ft away-It's what I will soon be doing-Nothing bigger than a 37inch from this kind of viewing distance having regretted buying a 42inch TV 3 months ago which I now realise is far too big and overwhelming for my 15 ft X 14ft room

A

Anonymous

I put an order in for a 37" (panel only) on Sunday and an Alphason AG68/2 stand for it. I just hope they can deliver it before I move at the end of the month!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Tallyho"]
[quote user="browelly"]Yeah, we sit about 10' away too [/quote]

You Sir are a sensible person watching your 37inch TH37PX70 from 10 ft away-It's what I will soon be doing-Nothing bigger than a 37inch from this kind of viewing distance having regretted buying a 42inch TV 3 months ago which I now realise is far too big and overwhelming for my 15 ft X 14ft room
[/quote]

Interesting, I sit about 10 feet from the screen and I am tossing up between the Panasonic 50" SD panel and the 42" 1080p panel. I am steering towards the 42" based on some upscaling advice, but I would have thought that the 42" would be perfect at this range.

A

Anonymous

A bigger screen also generates a lot of brightness in a room which can also affect the eyes. Those of us who still have eyes and can still see would be well advised to adopt more sensible viewing distances unless of course you're blessed with 20ft long rooms which I dare say most aren't.

Remember one thing-It's not the 30 minutes or so you sepnd in a shop that should make your mind up on which size TV to buy. You need to also consider prolonged viewing periods as this is when you end up knowing whether or not you've made the right decision

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts