Panasonic 37PX80 - Very Nice Indeed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

It's taken me a while, but I finally bought a TV. Much of the help and advice in making a final decision came from these here forums, so firstly I'd like to say thanks to everyone for that. Secondly, I thought I'd share a little feedback in case it is of use to anyone else.

I bought a 37PX80 on Saturday from John Lewis Peterborough. This was price matched to £626 with Sound&Vision.

At the store, JL had the set alongside the new Pana 37" LCD and both I and my girlfriend were initially surprised as to how much better the LCD looked. However, the more we watched (and had a little play with the settings on the plasma) the more we noticed a few issues with the LCD. I must admit though, it was still slightly disconcerting to see them side by side and to see the plasma looking less than impressive. However, I trusted my gut and 6 months of research and went with the Plasma (which I had reserved) and, having got it home and set everything up, I am very glad I did!

I am running in on Cinema mode, with the HDtv Test settings, and contrast and brightness kicked down about another 5 clicks each. I love these settings as they are and everything looks cracking!

SD looks great across the board. Football (BBC) has been fine. I haven't see ITV footie yet (was in the pub last night!). My dvd player upscales to 720p going in to the set and this looks superb (PAL and NTSC). My xbox 360 is outputting at 720p and this too looks very good indeed. GTA at 720p looks tremendous and I haven't seen any of the nasty issues some have reported.

I'd be intersted in hearing any thoughts on whether pushing DVD and xbox output up to 1080i or p would 'theorectically' improve things any more here - I'll be running some tests here myself soon.

I chose a 37" over a 42" as the picture simply looked much better at my viewing distance. I'm sure if I'd gone with the 42", I would feel that the image wasn't quite as clear (especially through the 360) - this was the case when I checked out both sets in a Pansonic store. I've found that you have to be far enough away to not see some image 'issues'. I think this is what confuses some people who come straight fom CRTs, which are much more forgiving in this regard. I think some people expect that with all new plasmas and LCDs, they should be able to eyeball the screen and still see pixel-perfect clarity!

The only retention I've seen is from the TV's own menus and this fades after 20 seconds of full screen TV.

I rarely (can) watch TV during the day, but if I had to raise one 'negative', that might affect some people, it would be that the picture looks its very best in a dark room. For me, for DVDs and games, this is important. For normal TV viewing during the day, though, this isn't really an issue!

So that's pretty much that. It's still early days, and I'm still finding my way, but I think I've done everything right so far, and as I read a bit more and move through the run in period, things can only continue to improve.

If anyone as any queries, or if anything's unclear, I'd be happy to answer.

Cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="goosee"]I'd be intersted in hearing any thoughts on whether pushing DVD and xbox output up to 1080i or p would 'theorectically' improve things any more here - I'll be running some tests here myself soon.[/quote]

I run an HD Ready Panasonic plasma (older model than yours). Personally, I run the Xbox at 720p and the PS3 at 1080p - just my personal preference on both over the other options available. Best bet is have a look yourself and choose which you prefer.

A

Anonymous

On my Panasonic PX60 I send in progressive signals where I can, seems to give slightly better results but, I agree, play around and see what takes your fancy. Good choice of TV, by the way, very nice set.

A

Anonymous

Hi goosee

I have also just purchased the 37PX80 and I must admit I was blown away by the picture quality, I was also looking at the LCD version and the Full HD vs HD READY debate and I am glad I went with the 37PX80 over the LCD I think what sold it for me was when I went into my local Bennett's store and they had a 37PX80 next to a TX-37LZD85 and they were both showing a High Definition demo and you could hardly tell the difference not bad considering the Plasma has a lower resolution.

Anyway I do have two questions, the first do you use Sky+ and if so do you know the code so that I can use the remote with my TV?

The other question concerns the DVD recorder I got with it do you know if I can make it region free as seems to only play region 2 discs the model number is DMR - E727?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I am glad you are happy with your TV. I am convinced you made the right choice of Plasma over LCD, especially if you like watching football. As with most people, when you see the LCD and Plasma side by side, your initial thought is to go for the LCD. I think that is because they are so bright that people don't look more closely at the deeper colours with Plasma.

Just don't take the back off and start cleaning it
emotion-1.gif

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
A great set and one that I also bought from JL on a PM from S & V for £665.

As I was still within the 28 day price match period I today received a further £65 discount!!!

JL is great but how can they promote themselves as Never Knowingly Undersold when I know that so many people have had a PM on this TV alone?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="MikeyDave"]do you know the code[/quote]I have the same TV and also have SKY+. As there is no correlating TV under Panasonic I just used the nearest size and the model number with similar letters and it worked first time. Sorry it isn't full details but I have really rubbish memory and am not sure how to get back to that service on SKY to check it for you. MOOOOOOOOO

A

Anonymous

[quote user="MikeyDave"]Anyway I do have two questions, the first do you use Sky+ and if so do you know the code so that I can use the remote with my TV?
[/quote]

Sky Code #678

A

Anonymous

MikeyDave - I don't have Sky, I'm afraid - just using the internal freeview tuner. On that note, I do hope Panasonic put out a new firmware to give the option of hiding the "Press Red Button", etc pop-ups, which I guess could cause some retention.

Also, I don't know your DVD Recorder, either. My multiregion player is a Philips and part of a Home Cinema system. Is yours possibly multiregion straight out of the box? If not, there's probably a 'method' out there somewhere via Google, although I don't see much info on Pana players to be honest.

I also forgot to mention sound.The TV's speakers seem fine and certainly no different to what I've been used on CRTs. I however use the 'Audio Out' jacks on the back of the set (in parrallel to my xbox audio) and feed straight into the AUX jacks on my Home Cinema setup. Works a charm!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the code Arbk, my sky remote now works fine with my new Panny...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"][quote user="goosee"]I'd be intersted in hearing any thoughts on whether pushing DVD and xbox output up to 1080i or p would 'theorectically' improve things any more here - I'll be running some tests here myself soon.[/quote]

I run an HD Ready Panasonic plasma (older model than yours). Personally, I run the Xbox at 720p and the PS3 at 1080p - just my personal preference on both over the other options available. Best bet is have a look yourself and choose which you prefer.
[/quote]

hi professor just wondering if you have your ps3 set to the superwhite hdmi?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts