Panasonic/Pioneer - which of these deals is best?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Been offered the Panny THP42PX700 for £1300 inc. 5 yrs guarantee from Panasonic shop.

Then found on Dixons online Pioneer PDP-4280XD for £1500 with probably just a 12 month warranty.

The Panny is pretty much rrp (i know you get them much cheaper online) but I'm guessing that 5 yr warranty is pretty good for free (Currys offer the same warranty type for £380 for 3yrs). For the same price I can also get the PZ70 which loses an HDMI and the good sound system, but is full HD and is also backed by this 5yr warranty.

Then theres the Pioneer, better picture of course but being the 4280 won't have the same sound quality as the first Panny (I don't really have room for sound seperates) and comes with a measly 12 month guarantee from a supposedly naff supplier.

Is the Pioneer still the one to have?

A

Anonymous

If I couldn't afford a Pioneer PDP508XD I'd still go for my Samsung PS50Q97HDX.

Mate, ditch the 42inchers and get a 50. They're far better and with the Samsung at £1050 on the web, you'd be mad not to.

A

Anonymous

Doubt I have room for a 50inch unfortunately. Anyways which deal is best, is the 5yr guarantee really worth its weight in gold?

A

Anonymous

Come on guys!!

We really need your input on whether the 5 year warranty is too good just to ignore, we'll be parting with our cash soon enough we just don't want to make a big mistake by going for the panny instead of the pioneer so help us out please.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Manta, why not go for a 3 Year Warranty instead for £998.00

http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/th42px700-wall-bracket-3-year-warranty-copy-i603576.html

Food for thought! I thought about a 50ins TV but I know really it wiil swamp my room. Moreover, there's just too much detail to take in on a 50 ins TV unless you're sitting at least 15 ft away from it in my view. That's why it just has to be a 42ins for me.

There's not much of a difference between the highly reviewed TH42PX70 and the TH42PX700-really only the sound which to be quite honest is about the same on both models with the exception being the 700 has the SRS which to be frank isn't up to that much. Personally, if you really want a Panasonic I would opt for the PX70 which you can get on the baove site, again with a 5 year warranty, for £899.99. You can also get on the John Lewis website for £899.00 inc a 5 year warranty. I'm not really one for warranties as I think they're pretty much a rip off, but at these prices they do look enticing.

Now to throw a real spanner in the works: I have been deliberating between a PX70 and a SAMSUNG 42PSQ97HDX Plasma. I went along, yet again, to compare this model, with the Panasonic and even the PDP-4280XD. The sounf from the Pioneer was good, but I have to say ( as I've said it here before) the picture quality on both the Samsung 50PSQ97HDX and the 42PSQ97HDX blow me away everytime I llok at these two TV's.

For some unknown, perhaps even obscure reason, the majority of reviwers go for these two TV's yet always second rate the Samsung plasmas.....why? I don't know! In my view both the Samsungs' pictures are by far better than the Panasonics above, and dare I say it, are on a par with the Pioneer

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the link Tallyho, you may be right about the sound on the Panny's as I'm no expert but we did have a demonstration in the Panny shop between a 50PX70 and a 42PX700 - in that quick test the PX70 sounded very tinny and flat in comparison. We also liked the extra HDMI on the PX700 too. Very difficult to find any good deals on the 700 with a pedestal though.

I know what you mean about the Samsung, we trailed around John Lewis and Curries today, maybe just the set-up but yes we found the Sammy 42" did have a sharper picture than the Panny and even the Pioneer. The clour was a bit too much though - like an LCD on acid. A shame Clare and the team haven't tested it yet, although another mag did state that the Sammy can't match the black levels of either of the other two. £950 in JL with a five year warranty does sound a pretty good deal though.

A

Anonymous

Forgot to add I am a tad concerned about buying a Sammy after reading the supertest, product quality differs it seems.

A

Anonymous

Manta; you then also need to read this: http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/samsung_ps42q97hdx.htm

Quote:

"High Definition (HD) sources are where this screen comes into its own. The depth clarity and detail displayed is truly astounding. The proprietary motion compensating technology is doing its job with fast motion sequences, and will bring gasps of delight from onlookers.

Many consumers will buy this unit for its HD performance, but will be more than pleasantly surprised with its Standard Definition (SD) capabilities. The Samsung PS42Q97HDX really is a Plasma to content with in this respect. Never before has the technology come so close to matching a good CRT for SD display. On close inspection there is some digital noise and a slight trace of motion blurring.

As you would expect the picture deteriorates slightly with Freeview as opposed to Sky, but this is still one of the most composed plasma's we have come across"

You can see that with so many conflicting opinions it's tough to see who may actually be right....or....wrong!

Just wonder if it's because it's a Korean make as opposed to a Japanese make that nearly everyone is mentally programmed to always put Panasonics and Pioneers at the top of the list-Food for thought?

A

Anonymous

Indeed the Sammys do sound a viable alternative, but then I've never read a reveiw of the Pioneer/Panny's with the words motion blur or picture noise, however slight it maybe on the Sammy.

A

Anonymous

Like mose things depends on the Sources you use. Remember 'Rubbish in...........Rubbish Out!

A

Anonymous

PS:.....Also says "On Close inspection" you can notice slight noise and blur meaning if you're going to be watching it either through a magnifying glass or telescope or with your face bang up against the display you will notice these inconsistencies and this doesn't only apply to the this model. Panasonics ain't perfect either. I guess they're just a more trusted name that people more often than not go for for. In my humble opinion, and I've just gotback from my local Dixons store ( they love me there) and have managed to agree with them to supply me either Panasonic TH42PX70 or the Samsung 42PSQ96HDX ( same model as the Q97) for whatever the Dixons Online price is next Saturday, plus £40 samd day Saturday Delivery. At present in the shop they're £999 and £949 respectively. Online they're £749.99 and £699.00 -Both are without the Fixed Omnimount Wall Bracket which Currys are selling for £169.99 on which they say they wouldn't be able to match the Dixon's Online price of £69.99 so I will have to get this online.

The good about getting the TV from the shop some 3 miles away is that I have somewhere close to take it back to in case of trouble.

If I should wnat to get a warranty I can then ( as I've done in the past with other electrical items I've bought) go online with Domestic & General Insurance and pay an extended warranty between 1 and 5 years by monthly DD or one off payment, but I don't have to do this until the TV's 11months old so I have time instead of having to fork out in one go for a warranty. Most of the retailers that don't provide their own in house cover ( Currys do with Coverplan etc) in anycase suuply their warranties through Domestic & General on which they earn commission so in my view if you cut them out you get a better deal on line with D & G direct.

A

Anonymous

Good idea re the warranty, anything that saves dosh is a good thing. Does the lack of 3rd HDMI on the PX70 worry you at all?

A

Anonymous

More to the point my friend-does the the lack of 3 HDMI on the Panasonic worry you. All depends what you're going to hook up to the TV. It wouldn't bother me anyway as ultimately I would only use for SKYHD and an Upscaled DVD player as not intrested in PS3/XBox. Besides if you need to add later you can always buy an HDMI 2 or 4 way Switch box. The important thing is that you go for the TV you really want-You can worry about adding things to it later on.

A

Anonymous

best advice i have heard yet you will never get the perfect telly that has all the specs you need.great advice on the warrenty

A

Anonymous

Manta, I have heard from a few dealers that Panasonic will be offering 5 year guarantees on all Plasmas sold in October so I would hold fire for a few days. Also don't forget to try John Lewis and pricematch them against a company that is selling cheaper but not including the guarantee, if they agree a pricematch you get the 5 yr automatically

A

Anonymous

I emailed John Lewis a few weeks back and remarked that their prices were high compared to other retailers selling Panasonics with the Guarantee. They said that in such cases they would not price match as it wasn't like for likenor was it likely that would want to price match another retailer's price even if they were offering an identical TV for less but with a 5 Year Warranty. As I've also said many times before don't be fooled by these extended so called Free Warranties-You pay about another £200 more for them.....a rip off. Buy the TV for much less and then worry about getting your own warranty in 11 months time from Domestic & General.....cheaper and more cost effective in the long run............that is if you really need to have a warranty in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts