budget heaven!

bittersweet

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi, just thought i'd put up my system. i've gradually over the years built up my system to what i have now, which is budget heaven!

firstly i started out with the legendary cambridge audio A5 and some tannoy m2's, then some AE evo 1's, the evo's sounded better!.

next up was a cambridge 650a, a sony cdp xb 930 qs and a pair of tannoy sensys center speakers which had a very good sound (lots detail). i actually bought a set of five for a home cinema system and omg were they a bargain. originally they were £300 per center, i got all 5 for £250, a massive saving of £1250 and as i said they sounded excellent.

next up i bought a panasonic sa xr 57 home cinema amp but still with the same other components the panny sounded great, almost identical to the 650a but with a touch more detail.

next up was a panasonic sa bx500 home cinema amp, with same speakers but i changed the cd player to a panasonic dmp bdt 500, which is a blu-ray player and has a 32 bit dac, oh yeah what hifi gave the panasonic sa bx 500 an appauling review, and i cant comprehend how, it was an awesome sounding amp? they must have left it in bog standard factory mode and not set it up atall. you see the panasonic amps are a bit tricky to set up as they have no on screen set up but once set up right they sound brilliant.

after a while i bought some new speakers from a very small company called ipl acoustics, they sell speakers in diy format and because you have to build them yourself, you save a fortune because of it and end up with a speaker worth 3or4 times the price paid, mine cost £380 and were called sm2 ribbon. i must say the sound very good and would probably suit any system. one thing not brilliant about them, is there size they are massive for a book shelf speaker and would need stands but do have a very good frequency response of 37hz to 30khz. also they have a 8 inch driver and a ribbon tweeter. and i must say the tweeter sounds a bit dry compared to a dome but i think it is a reverb thing with domes?. also if you move house or some thing like that and have more space they will send you the plans to turn them into transmission line floorstanders, which must sound awesome because the bass on the bookies are very good.

lastly i just bought a unbeliveable bargain amp from china! it is a topping tp60 and is rated at 50wpc but it sounds alot more. the only reason i bought it, is because the panny amp broke, which was very upsetting as it is sounded brilliant.

the topping amp is a t class digital amplifier, it really shines in the upper frequencies and has good midrange, the bass is also good! one thing you do need though is a graphic equalizer to get it sounding perfect!, i know such things like graphics are sneered at here but they are very good for digital amps which are very sensative. also im sure most amplifier makers tweek their sound abit, well up near the top of range they must? other wise they should all sound identical, logically!. ... although the electronic's in them must be a real art!

oyeah both the pannys were also digital!

the topping amp cost a measly £140 from ebay and sounds very very good for the price!. you really should check it out if you want a rediculously good amplifier for the money.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
images

bittersweet

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
hi vlad, never heard of the behringer, i will check it out but i will say that it would be very hard to beat the topping at any price below £400, dialled in with a graphic the sound is very good and also it never struggles when things get complex. (its strongest point)

oyeah and those ipl's are something special, i never fatigue listening to them but always get the urge to turn them up!

also im sorry but i haven't got a clue how to post pictures.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts