Panasonic or Sony?

billsmith1of8

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Looking to upgrade from my old Toshiba 36zp18 36" crt, at long last. Four in mind.

Panasonic TX-P50GT50B,TX-P50VT50B,TX-P55VT50B. SonyKDL55HX853.
Been a while since I have posted on this site,still not sure which format to go for, plasma or led.

Was hoping for some advice from more seasoned members on this forum.

One other point would it be worth waiting for 2013 models to come out, and hopefully pick these tv's up cheaper?

Both plasma & LED lit LCD TVs are more advanced than ever before. My advice is to buy a TV regardless of technology.

My preference would be Panasonic GT50 & VT50, although I thought the Sony HX853 was the best LED lit LCD TV I ever saw. Check both in a shop & decide. You can't go wrong with either.

Bear in mind that it is likely that Panasonic may quit TV business next year, so existing stocks may run out. Better to buy now than later.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'd agree with BB.

I've just purchased the GT50 from John Lewis for £999 which is a great deal, though it's worth checking elsewhere and see if JL will price match.

My preference is for Plasma technology. In my opinion, it's more natural, better for action and sports, and unlike LCD/LED, the picture doesn't deteriorate at more acute viewing angles.

If you like a really bright, vivid picture, go for the Sony, but if your preference is a more natural picture, but still with plenty of punch, the GT50 would be good for you.

Picture quality wise, there is nothing really between the VT and GT models, and as the GT has some good offers at the moment, so it would be a good time to buy.

If Panasonic do pull out of the tv market, there may well not be any 2013 models, and this will make this years models even more sought after. I think I'm right in saying that when Pioneer stopped making Kuros, the prices when stock got very low actually went up, but I could be wrong on that.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You might add the Panasonic TX-P55ST50 to your shortlist. There's not much between the ST, GT, and VT plasmas this year, and you'd be getting that extra screen size (for roughly the same price as the Sony).

I'd also echo what BB & BBB say above. Audition each, but I'm a plasma fan too. Also bear in mind that plasma TVs never look their best under bright shop lighting. Get one home, though, and it's a different picture altogether.

TRENDING THREADS